Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Think if we've not heard anything by next Monday he's definitely staying. I'd say a full week to take time off, digest plans for the future and think through the options is needed. If you're going to quit or be fired you'll make that decision fairly swiftly. 

Yes - I think one or two journo's would have picked on up if he was negotiating his exit.

I suppose the only way he goes now if he he doesn't fancy a season built on a minus -£25-40m  kitty. He did quit Hull over lack of funds. 

While I do believe him to be tactically limited and too defensieve in his mindset, i wouldn’t mind him having another season.

The football isn’t always easy on the eye, but it gets results.

A bit of stability wouldn’t be bad for our club either. How many manager have passed through the last few years? I don’t want another season hearing about how we are ‘rebuilding the squad’. There have been no signs that the players want Bruce out either.

add to that the fact he knows a lot of people at bigger clubs to get some loans in, something we will need to do again next season in our current financial state. If we had Terry last season at villa, I’m prettig sure it was because of Bruce. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. A big official announcement that we've decided to not sack the guy in charge doesn't really send the right message.

I also think he'd be gone by now if he was going.

The play off defeat was 4 days  ago - the season is over - the club a[parently were in talks with Bruce yesterday and I’m sure he will want to know the situation he will be facing to plan ahead for next season if they decide to stick with him .

A 2 line statement saying we will do all we can to support Steve Bruce in getting a competitive team for next season is all that was required.

However both wyness and round chose to refuse to commit  when asked if Bruce would be here next season if we missed promotion and wyness even said he wouldn’t say Bruce would be here even if promoted - added to this Bruce’s own comments on Saturday that he wanted to stay if those above him want him to .

All this speculation could easily be resolved with a 2 line tweet from wyness .

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don’t understand part of your point here ?

You say Snodgrass is one of our best players yet say by getting him Bruce has “ screwed us “ ?

Thats not what I said. He built a third of the team on loan players that were gone if we failed to get promotion. Unsustainable boom or bust. That's part of the problem. Other part money wasted one players he rarely used or didn't play correctly

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The play off defeat was 4 days  ago - the season is over - the club a[parently were in talks with Bruce yesterday and I’m sure he will want to know the situation he will be facing to plan ahead for next season if they decide to stick with him .

A 2 line statement saying we will do all we can to support Steve Bruce in getting a competitive team for next season is all that was required.

Why is it required?

Clubs don't do this. Have any other Championship club issued statements regarding their plans for next season?

Genuine question.

No news = Bruce is staying. 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is it required?

Clubs don't do this. Have any other Championship club issued statements regarding their plans for next season?

Genuine question.

No news = Bruce is staying. 

Why when asked not just say yes he is manager and we will back him ?

why does Bruce need to say it’s up to those above him if they want him to continue - would it not be easyier and far less stressful for them to just say ‘ Look steve whatever the result we want you to stay on  next  season? ‘

If he himself dodnt  know what the future holds for him then it’s a pretty sad state of affairs . 

‘Coupled to this Bruce’s own comments on occasions that if we didn’t go up he knew wouldn’t be here next season - the speculation hasn’t been caused by fans , it’s been caused by those kind of comments .

As I said a simple 2 line tweet from wyness to say we will back steve Bruce and give it our best shot next season is all that was needed . 

Edited by Eastie

Because of Doc's presence on twitter I think some are getting a tad expectant about what's coming out the club.

No news is bad news with Bruce staying.

----

Sorry vive, can't get rid of this quote. I agree fwiw!

On 28/05/2018 at 23:02, Vive_La_Villa said:

Eastie I can’t be upset with one game. We blew promotion in many games throughout the season. Qpr and Bolton being the most obvious. 

• Like 1

If Bruce can't get this team promoted with one of the best squads in the division, there's no chance it's going to happen if we lose most of our good players.

Need someone to come in with fresh ideas who will look at our youth players more, rather than signing "experienced" players. 

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because of Doc's presence on twitter I think some are getting a tad expectant about what's coming out the club.

----

I don’t think the fact no statement has been made on Bruce’s  future means anythingvat the moment - no doubt the club have to see where we are financially and what budget is needed to come in - Bruce may well then decide that under such restraints the job is untenable for him - who knows , the lack of any news as early as this is not definitive either way . 

‘If Bruce stays I will back him but I think we have blown our best shot of promotion and it’s a long haul from here - is xia prepared for that or will he like Lerner decide he’s given it a good go and it’s failed 

1 hour ago, carewjust4u said:

I really do not rate or understand the Bruce tactic of having 3 strikers on the pitch whilst we are trailing. We should of taken control of that midfield when they were reduced to 10 men, but simply couldn't. 

There was a moment where jack was breaking forwards down the left-center and all 3 of our strikers ran in a beeline to the penalty spot and we lost the ball.

How many times have we won from losing positions in the last 18 months? I can't recall many at all.

This ^^^ 

And its not the first time , Bolton was the worst example as we ended up with 4 Strikers and Grealish running to the CB's to get the ball to find he had no one to pass too.How with Bruce and 3 experienced coaches do we come out with that tactic !! What instructions are given to the subs ..ok Scotty just hang about near the box Jack will get the ball to you ...

The other issue going forward is the team , Fulham reached the PO last year and failed but a year later and the team improved as they were a young team .We on the other hand are full of experienced pro's who for some have already peaked another year for them won't make them better it will make them worse .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

To be fair we looked pretty solid as a unit and let in a stupid goal. Teams like atletico have a similar way of playing (although they are obviously a million times more effective and have a much higher standard)...they are also supremely boring to watch but I'd fear for them if Simeone left. My main point is this... I'm not sure who to blame for that goal but someone wasn't doing their job. Whoever was marking Cairney let him get away. Without that mistake we were in the game, only without a focus on possession, but a focus on containment and breaking. 

We have done a bit of this all season.....that first goal of QPR's was amateurish....i am not sure what causes it when top class players make basic mistakes....concentration?

I have felt all season, that we never got the system right....i wanted to see a championship approach to key positions.....I thought we got out muscled at times and showed in our play, particularly away from home....i thought we tried to be a bit too sophisticated in those positions and needed more pragmatism....I wanted to see those positions being dominated as opposed to contained.

I just hope he gets it right.

The 2 Leeds players as was.....pontius Jannsen and Chris Woods who is now at Burnley, keep all our good players and we would have a unit IMO

We did far too much standing off during the season, far too much containment.....and not enough domination....its a form of being passive and teams detect in and it passes over the initiative. we have had some great games during the season, but as a team we yield the initiative too quick and too easy.

The final was and extension of our season, if we are being honest with ourselves.

• Like 2

For me .....I don't think we are going to be that badly off....sometimes forced decisions are a god send......the disappointment is still raw.

things have happened in the past, where the initial doom and gloom was unfounded....but there is no substitute for good decisions and we need to make more of them.

I think we have been a bit woolly and undecisive in the past, we need a structure of play and get players to fit it.i never thought the chassis was right last season, but we still built the car.

but we are Aston Villa....we are made of stern stuff....we must make those right decisions and we will be back.

who ever manages us next year must get the shape of team right and players played in positions must do the elements of thst job i.e if you play centre forward, you have to head the ball well....sure the game has changed, but more in the higher echelons of the top leagues at our level we must be able to dominate the basics.....if we have players who can move the oppositions centre halves around fine.....but we haven't and those plsyers are very, very expensive to buy, that is if you can attract them too.

We are a championship team, we need to act like one at times, not a sulky premier league team playing in the championship....there will be a few more of them coming to join us.

We have tried our one season approach, its not got us over the line.....now we must approach it like a fully paid up member of the club, not have delusions of grandeur and get back to what is required to get us out......we will rethink all that when we are out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The biggest concern for me is that Bruce is unlikely to have Terry, Johnstone and Snodgrass available next season. 3 players who were extremely important to the squad, particularly with Bruce's need for experienced players.

I just can't see Bruce making it work if we can't bring in suitable replacements for these 3.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We have tried our one season approach, its not got us over the line.....now we must approach it like a fully paid up member of the club, not have delusions of grandeur and get back to what is required to get us out......we will rethink all that when we are out.

But this will be our 3rd season in the league.

37 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

----

As long as you agree that’s the main thing ;)

Agree with the poster who has said lack of announcements coming out of the club at the moment concerning Bruce doesn’t mean one thing or the other yet. It’s too soon considering what has to be discussed and agreed upon.

Either way I do think there will be a short announcement by the club or indeed Bruce by the end of next week.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TRO said:

either, you don't read my posts properly or I don't explain properly.

Firstly, I don't blame Steve Bruce for many things said on here, but that does not exonerate him completely from my criticism.

I do blame him if thats the right word for not getting the shape of the team right.....I wanted to see a dominant Center forward, not the ones we have.....thats just my view, not expecting anyone to agree with me....I think the defence lacks pace and height, which has caught us out a few times.....I also think we need a more dominant midfield player to compliment Jack, I have my doubts about Jed in terms of mobility.

I just don't think all the natural ingredients are there for this league and yes.....That's  down to him.... but that is not saying good elements are already there.

i agree with most of what you say here Tro which is why so many of SBs transfers baffle me.

Its like he looked at whoscored and just selected the players with the best scores he could get without thinking about balance, style, shape or tactics.

Im sure he isnt alone in those decisions but he is culpable.  We should never have signed Hogan for instance and i dont think Grabban was the right call either despite his modest success.  Id have loved crouch to return.

I think cases could be made for lansbury, onamah, tuanzebe, they were just what could be got not what was needed - numbers over contribution.

Put shortly SB frustrates me. He admits when he makes a mistake, great, but he will proceed to continually make and admit the same mistake ad neausium (sp?).  i dont see that changing and thus why proted or not, i dodnt want him in charge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think there will be any sort of announcement. He'll just be here next season and that's it.

Maybe "announcement" was the wrong word.....perhaps when the news breaks that the speculation is what it is.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

We did far too much standing off during the season, far too much containment.....and not enough domination....its a form of being passive and teams detect in and it passes over the initiative. we have had some great games during the season, but as a team we yield the initiative too quick and too easy.

The final was and extension of our season, if we are being honest with ourselves.

And who would have thought that TRO??

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â