Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Depends how many of our fans are going to be expecting him to be challenging the top 6.

I would expect us with a bettwr manager to aim to break the top 6.

It's safe to say it will be a miracle if Bruce reached the top 10 let alone aim for it.

Since we where last in the Premier League NV a lot has changed and we need to look forwards in terms of progession and not just stick out of safety just because he knows the team.

For some posters the reaches of top 6 look a tad unrealistic - with Bruce in charge then yes absolutely right we won't see it imo.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would expect us with a bettwr manager to aim to break the top 6.

It's safe to say it will be a miracle if Bruce reached the top 10 let alone aim for it.

Since we where last in the Premier League NV a lot has changed and we need to look forwards in terms of progession and not just stick out of safety just because he knows the team.

For some posters the reaches of top 6 look a tad unrealistic - with Bruce in charge then yes absolutely right we won't see it imo.

This worries me to be honest. I can't believe that anybody actually thinks we could make the top 6 next season (finishing ahead of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs or one of the Manchester clubs).

Villa Park would be a horrible place to watch football again if we go up and have those kind of expectations in our first season promoted.

If Bruce (or anybody) got us into the top 10 next year that would be a fantastic job and a good base to build on. For what it's worth, a season where we are competitive and don't look in danger of relegation would be a great season for me to.

• Like 4

I definitely agree with the above regarding keeping our expectations tempered.

If I was offered promotion this season, investment in the summer and an uneventful 14th/15th placed finish come the end of next season then I'd snatch your arm off. We need to get into the Premier League and, primarily, cement ourselves there.

• Like 1

If we go up then the first 12 months remit will be to spend sensibly, walk before we can run, and with any luck finish 17th, simple as that for me.

I was an advocate that if we go up then Bruce must go, but now winning games has became a reality I think it would be incredibly harsh.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If we go up then the first 12 months remit will be to spend sensibly, walk before we can run, and with any luck finish 17th, simple as that for me.

I was an advocate that if we go up then Bruce must go, but now winning games has became a reality I think it would be incredibly harsh.

There is a massive difference between consistantly winning games in the Championship compared to the Premier League.

Just look at how well Newcastle and Huddesfield are finding it - with near enough the same teams.

I feel had Ashley backed Benitez in the summer and Jan they wouldn't be anywhere in the league where they currently find themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There is a massive difference between consistantly winning games in the Championship compared to the Premier League.

Just look at how well Newcastle and Huddesfield are finding it - with near enough the same teams.

I feel had Ashley backed Benitez in the summer and Jan they wouldn't be anywhere in the league where they currently find themselves.

Where do you think they would be then? Given that 3 points separate 11th-19th.

As has been said, you're either top 6, which we are not or you're fighting relegation. That fight may be in varying degrees, ie Burnley are almost certainly safe but when they were doing well do you think they had one eye on Europe or one eye on getting to 38 points, I know which one I suspect. 

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would say between 6th and 10th position had they invested in Rafa.

Unsure if you meant to include 6th, I suspect not but for them to have breached the top 6 it would have taken immense investment, hundreds of millions and even then it would have had to be spent very wisely, something I doubt will have occurred given their track record of signings over the past couple of years (Joselu, Clark, Murphy etc).

It's a lottery, Everton spent a ton and Bournemoth spent very little, they're on the same amount of points.

Newcastle are 6 points off 9th, is £200million worth six points? (of course it is if you finish 17th instead of 18th, for example, but is it worth the investment to finish 12th instead of 15th?)

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Unsure if you meant to include 6th, I suspect not but for them to have breached the top 6 it would have taken immense investment, hundreds of millions and even then it would have had to be spent very wisely, something I doubt will have occurred given their track record of signings over the past couple of years (Joselu, Clark, Murphy etc).

It's a lottery, Everton spent a ton and Bournemoth spent very little, they're on the same amount of points.

Newcastle are 6 points off 9th, is £200million worth six points? (of course it is if you finish 17th instead of 18th, for example, but is it worth the investment to finish 12th instead of 15th?)

Na, I meant to include 6th but I disagree because hingsight is wonderful.

Their signings (Newcastle) over the last couple of years where based on a championship team, or did you expect them to attract folk like Gary Cahill instead?

Everton didn't spend a lot of money - they wasted it imo and could have spent the money more wisely imo.

But my original point, Newcastle wouldn't be 6 points off 9th place had they backed Rafa in the previous 2 windows when they had made it back to the premier league - Imo they would be closer to 6th than 16th.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Na, I meant to include 6th but I disagree because hingsight is wonderful.

Their signings (Newcastle) over the last couple of years where based on a championship team, or did you expect them to attract folk like Gary Cahill instead?

Everton didn't spend a lot of money - they wasted it imo and could have spent the money more wisely imo.

But my original point, Newcastle wouldn't be 6 points off 9th place had they backed Rafa in the previous 2 windows when they had made it back to the premier league - Imo they would be closer to 6th than 16th.

Your opinion, I think it's completely pie in the sky to think they could have finished 6th.

Joselu was signed this summer, as was Murphy, Atsu, Lejeunne and Manquillo, none of pulled up any trees to my knowledge though I am not a Newcastle expert

"Everton didn't spend a lot of money" - nah mate, just the £180M or so..........

Closer to 6th than 16th in terms of position, fair enough but I wager that they'd still be closer to 16th than 6th in points.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Your opinion, I think it's completely pie in the sky to think they could have finished 6th.

Joselu was signed this summer, as was Murphy, Atsu, Lejeunne and Manquillo, none of pulled up any trees to my knowledge though I am not a Newcastle expert

"Everton didn't spend a lot of money" - nah mate, just the £180M or so..........

Closer to 6th than 16th in terms of position, fair enough but I wager that they'd still be closer to 16th than 6th in points.

Show me where I have said Newcastle United WILL finish 6th this season.

Pointless replying when you blatantly keep missing the points I raise.

Il leave you be...

• Confused 1

Yup.

If we go up with Bruce there would definitely have to be a compromise.

If he is to stay, there must be a larger "TEAM" involved in recruiting and recommending players etc.

Obviously he would be integral, but the Club should be able to either block, or sanction deals they think will benefit the club in the short and long term, as well as the so called "Villa Engine".

It is the Age of the "Head Coach" who essentially manages the Clubs broader program.

Don't know if Bruce would buy into this, and it's not a dig at all, but he is an old schooler.

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was of the opinion that if Villa were to be promoted there was a legitimate discussion to be had as to whether Bruce should be our manager in our first season back the top flight.

I’m now very much of the opinion he has to be the manager. 

One of the biggest strengths we’re seeing at the moment is a true team spirit amongst the players. Bruce must take a lot of the credit for this and I worry what would happen to this morale if the man who had been a vital cog in creating it was suddenly removed.

I look at the managers in the premier league this season and I think there’s an argument to say that Bruce is roughly on a par with around half of them. We don’t need him to be the man to break the top six, we need him to be the man to gets us there and keep us there. I think he has the ability and experience to do so.

If we’re in the premier league next season, we will obviously need investment. By and large Bruce (and whoever else in part of the transfer committee) seems to made fairly astute signings. They’ve not been without their issues, I’ve been guilty of writing them off only for them to go on good runs of form.

On the whole, his transfer record with us has been commendable, so I’m not as concerned with the notion that we’re going to let Bruce have £100m to go shopping at Hull City and Sunderland or whatever the fear might be. 

As a general aside, I shall just add that I’m reluctant in discussing Bruce and the premier league as firstly we’re not there, still a long way to go. And secondly, every time I say something positive or negative about Bruce, the subsequent results contradict me and make me look like a bellend.

Good post.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

It might be an unpopular opinion but I'm not even sure I want to be back struggling in the Premier League. Scraping survival every year. 

I mean I'm probably just jaded after the post MON years but I actually like the thought of being favourites to win games at the minute. 

I have thought the same. The sad fact is though if we don't go up we will have a worst squad next season, we just wont be able to afford it so we will have to trim some quality, Bruce may also walk. If we do go up them the most likely result is we are a bottom half premier league club in a relegation scrap.

In other words, I am just enjoying this moment. I agree its SO nice to actually be the favourites for a change and not mess it up every week. Sadly I think no matter what happens that is going to change next season.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â