Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm very happy that we won, but i'm still worried that we are behind the pace. 

7 points behind... i'm sure we were 7 points behind 6 games ago before our good period. 

It shows how hard it is to catch the top of the table once a gap opens up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'm very happy that we won, but i'm still worried that we are behind the pace. 

7 points behind... i'm sure we were 7 points behind 6 games ago before our good period. 

It shows how hard it is to catch the top of the table once a gap opens up.

The problem is the teams right at the top tend to have a good period for the whole season, so any lapse in form from us results in them pulling further ahead. Realistically we need to keep up our current form for the rest of the season if we're to get automatic qualification. Realistically I think we're going to have to settle for play-offs.

Realistically I said realistically too many times just now.

Edited by Phumfeinz
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You seem to forget that di matteo spent a massive chunk on players bruce isnt using (tish McCormack and elphick) 20m of shit. So i dont think thats entirely true. We spent very little in transfer fees in the summer and he probably spent as much as di matteo did in janury with Hogan being the big signing. 

Na I had not forgotten what RDM spent.

Bruce knew he was only getting "£1m" to spend this season. - around the time Hysteria was recognised but had not quite set in.

I accept Bruce has had to tear the squad up in places but he has had a good whack of time to get this team together and spent accordingly.

The players that Bruce is not using as you mention are given cup games and training to prove their worth, attitudes and mind games with others aside, many are not anywhere near the first team XI for a reason.

Bunn, Hutton, Elphick, Agbonlahor, Richards, Tshibola etc. Are not the types looking to bust a gut to get us promoted sadly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

The problem is the teams right at the top tend to have a good period for the whole season, so any lapse in form from us results in them pulling further ahead. Realistically we need to keep up our current form for the rest of the season if we're to get automatic qualification. Realistically I think we're going to have to settle for play-offs.

yep, thats the problem. 

We pretty much need to average 3 points a game for a good period of games to catch them.

This hasn't coped perfectly, but Brighton last year were 13th after 6 games, then 7th after 8 games and 3rd after 10... so I think it's a bit too early to say. We're 4 points off 2nd... so I think automatic promotion is still more than possible.

Round 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground A H H A A H H A H A A H H A H A H H A H A A H A A H H A A H H A H H A A H A H H A A H A H A
Result D W W D L L W W W D W D W W W W D W D W W W W W L W W L D W D W W L L W W L W W W W W L L D
Position 11 6 1 2 8

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

This hasn't coped perfectly, but Brighton last year were 13th after 6 games, then 7th after 8 games and 3rd after 10... so I think it's a bit too early to say. We're 4 points off 2nd... so I think automatic promotion is still more than possible.

Round 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground A H H A A H H A H A A H H A H A H H A H A A H A A H H A A H H A H H A A H A H H A A H A H A
Result D W W D L L W W W D W D W W W W D W D W W W W W L W W L D W D W W L L W W L W W W W W L L D
Position 11 6 1 2 8

Look at that run of 14 wins from 18 with 4 draws. That's the kind of epic run you need in this league

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I really can't see Leeds and Cardiff near the top of the league in a few months. Wolves maybe and we're 4 points off them.

Isn't it nice to feel positive the day after a game? Yesterday was the Villa I know and love. Credit to Bruce, I just wish it hadn't taken 11 months and so many awful performances to get there. Now we need to build on it. I'm still not convinced by Bruce, but I will be more than happy to eat humble pie!

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Na I had not forgotten what RDM spent.

Bruce knew he was only getting "£1m" to spend this season. - around the time Hysteria was recognised but had not quite set in.

I accept Bruce has had to tear the squad up in places but he has had a good whack of time to get this team together and spent accordingly.

The players that Bruce is not using as you mention are given cup games and training to prove their worth, attitudes and mind games with others aside, many are not anywhere near the first team XI for a reason.

Bunn, Hutton, Elphick, Agbonlahor, Richards, Tshibola etc. Are not the types looking to bust a gut to get us promoted sadly.

I think if we look at the signings its a combination of rdms and bruces but more bruces. I think he has found the balance and now we are seeing such a good understanding between midfield and the forwards.  The most remarkable thing ive seen in recent games is big kodj is actually playing a more passing game. Looking around and instead of taking on the universe himself!

Those players yes havw been given cup games and as we have seen failed. Only gabby has shown signs in flashes that he is willing to knuckle down. But i put that down to his contract expiring in the summer.

All those players mentioned are the ones i feel will hopefully be gone by next season along with hutton and bjarnasson

• Like 1

I'm overjoyed,genuinely, that SB has seen the light and looks to have turned the corner.

I do still worry what will happen when we lose a player to injury or suspension or when someone loses form will he revert to type?

The reason this concerns me is his comment that he couldnt play 4-4-2 until kodjia was back.  Thid baffles me as Davies and Hogan could be just as good imo.

Anywho, a stay of execution for SB. Now lets go on a massive run and finish top, eh?

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

In my experience, there is literally no point in 'expecting' that something 'should' happen, especially if you are hoping somebody, or something else will produce what you desire. Instead, concentrate on what you can positively contribute to influence the desired outcome. Doing anything else is a waste of emotional energy.

After spending £££££'s on players from either a league above or the best from the league we are in. Coupled with S"4promotions"B, the biggest pull in the league and an owner doing seemingly everything he can (not forgetting a CEO with PL background) I "expect" the other teams in this league to be "trying to compete with us". Not the other way round.

If Bruce was really worth his salt as a promotionist, he should have got us up last season, he failed. The recent 7 results (not 46) are more down to the players than him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

After spending £££££'s on players from either a league above or the best from the league we are in. Coupled with S"4promotions"B, the biggest pull in the league and an owner doing seemingly everything he can (not forgetting a CEO with PL background) I "expect" the other teams in this league to be "trying to compete with us". Not the other way round.

If Bruce was really worth his salt as a promotionist, he should have got us up last season, he failed. The recent 7 results (not 46) are more down to the players than him.

And who chooses those players? I understand you dont rate bruce fair enough you want him out. But how can you not at least praise him for yesterday's performance? The players deserve credit as does brucw for getting the tactics spot on.

Even some real anti brucytes have praised him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Must be the only manager in history to solve a massive left sided problem by signing 2 right wingers...

To be fair, the left side was beginning to look like it was in good hands anyway with the development of Andre Green. However, that right side is looking mighty good now with those two wingers there.

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

Sort of - but if Cardiff carried on the entire season as they've started, they'd end on 105 points.

To compare that sort of "good period for the whole season", Newcastle won the league last season on 94 points.  Burnley the season before on 93.  Bournemouth the season before that on 90.  Teams will go through poor spells and good spells - hopefully our good spell continues for a lot longer.

My gut feeling is that we'll beat Bolton then lose at Wolves and everyone will be merrily slating our manager again.

39 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

then the defeats previously are more down to the players than him? sorry, you can't have it both ways

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â