Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I don't sense a commitment to putting the team right because I don't believe that Bruce thinks there's much wrong with it. I get the impression that Bruce actually thinks things are going well, and with a bit of luck we'll soon be up there. His comments about a good week "getting rid of the circling vultures," and the fans being happy after the Bristol game because they saw players "put their boots on and fight" indicates that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't sense a commitment to putting the team right because I don't believe that Bruce thinks there's much wrong with it. I get the impression that Bruce actually thinks things are going well, and with a bit of luck we'll soon be up there. His comments about a good week "getting rid of the circling vultures," and the fans being happy after the Bristol game because they saw players "put their boots on and fight" indicates that.

Same here.

I think that - rightly - like all decent Managers in whatever field (and he is a decent Manager) he has full confidence in himself and his methods.

Trouble is, this time he is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Same here.

I think that - rightly - like all decent Managers in whatever field (and he is a decent Manager) he has full confidence in himself and his methods.

Trouble is, this time he is wrong.

We have been on the same hymn sheet on Bruce virtually since he arrived - will be very interesting to see how he sets up the team this month especially at Barnsley - I think he himself will be well aware it's shit or bust for him this month .

Surely he must throw caution to the wind  and let the players play a more adventurous game at Barnsley and burton . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We have been on the same hymn sheet on Bruce virtually since he arrived - will be very interesting to see how he sets up the team this month especially at Barnsley - I think he himself will be well aware it's shit or bust for him this month .

Surely he must throw caution to the wind  and let the players play a more adventurous game at Barnsley and burton . 

32 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

For a number of reasons I don't think he has a choice. 

And yet look what he came up with for the start of the Bristol game.  Still mind-boggling - maybe that was him trying to do tactics?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Maybe Bruce has a laptop and wifi connection over there. Maybe he has all the games on a USB drive and all he's doing is watching the games, over and over again. Maybe he specifically went there because he finds it a good spot to think, analyse stuff and collect his thoughts. 

Maybe he is starting to draw up a new coaching programme whilst he's there or watching a load of youth games on his USB stick. 

Or maybe he's just gone out there for some sun and a piss up. 

None of us know, which is why it's a pointless criticism. 

You may be correct.

Performances and results would suggest you aren't

Therefore critcism is fair and until he stops massively underperforming i think it's all fair.

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Funny, the last time I was in Portugal they had the internet, phone lines, dvd players, football teams, training camps.

Must have gone down hill massively this week. Shame.

I imagine most places are well equipped. 

I wonder how many managers have gone away though. I wonder how many managers whose teams have started poorly have gone away. 

My bet is, not that many  

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Funny, the last time I was in Portugal they had the internet, phone lines, dvd players, football teams, training camps.

Must have gone down hill massively this week. Shame.

Blimey, ClubMeds changed a bit !

6 hours ago, KHV said:

We all know how we should set up, we won two games on the bounce scoring 8 goals in the process. He needs to stick with that set up and forget about 3 at the back. The change to 3 at the back with Chester,Samba and Terry was one of the most mind boggling tactical decisions I have ever witnessed. You just knew Bristol would batter us as soon as the line up was announced, it seems Steve Bruce was the only person on the planet who thought that was a good idea. Hopefully he has learnt from that and will leave it alone moving forward but I doubt it.

I agree completely.  I also doubt he has learned his lesson, largely because he has been taught this one several times before yet keeps making the same mistake.  It's not like Bristol was his first dabble with 3 at the back, and (from what I can remember) they have all failed.  The ones I have seen are not just failures in that we didn't win the game, they were failures in that we didn't seem to understand the basic fundamentals of the game.  I cannot conceive what Bruce must have been thinking to see those disasters and wish to replicate any part of it, but he tries again and again. 

What is it called when you keep trying the same thing again and again but expect a different result?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KHV said:

We all know how we should set up, we won two games on the bounce scoring 8 goals in the process. He needs to stick with that set up and forget about 3 at the back. The change to 3 at the back with Chester,Samba and Terry was one of the most mind boggling tactical decisions I have ever witnessed. You just knew Bristol would batter us as soon as the line up was announced, it seems Steve Bruce was the only person on the planet who thought that was a good idea. Hopefully he has learnt from that and will leave it alone moving forward but I doubt it.

I say this respectfully

Even if someone hates the sight of the man......do you honestly think those 2 games at home( and all the logistics involved) have gone missing from his notice.

no, nor me.

Look, whether he is this or whether he is that.....or whether he lasts through September......give him a bit of credit for not being completely stupid.

I am not arguing with anyone about Steve Bruce, everyone on here knows my position and I pretty much know theirs( I think) but some of the stuff written against him is dubious Imo.

For all what we have all written on here.....We need wins and i say that collectively, me, you, Steve Bruce, Tony Xia....all of us.

I was rather hoping this season would be one of stability in relation to the managers chair.....but above all, I want promotion.

However, my worry is that, will we do more harm than good and judging by the size of this task is it too soon for all these players that have been arriving at a rapid rate since he took over.....they all have to blend.

I guess at the end of the day its all about winning and on that note lets look at the win ratios of some pertinent managers in relation to what has been done recently

In 2015/2016....Sean Dyche took Burnley up as champions with a 56% win ratio......his career is running at 39.1% win ratio.

The same year Steve Bruce took Hull up finishing 4th, with a 52% win ratio his career is running at 37.8% win ratio.....and for the purists at villa currently 41.9% win ratio.

both men clearly out punching their weight that season.

just to give some insight to recent times

In 2016/2017 season....Rafa Benitez took Newcastle up with an impressive 63% win ratio and his career is running at 51% win ratio overall.

the same year David Wagner secured promotion for Huddersfield finishing 5th with a 54% win ratio compared to his career running rate of 38.2% win ratio.

My point is this business is not the exact science we all want to believe it is and managers do have to have exceptional seasons no matter who they are.....and sometimes not so good times.

Generally All managers have peaks and troughs.

Steve Bruce is capable of reaching those win ratio heights to get us back to respectability first and Promotion as the goal....whether he does it is a different argument, but he can.

I am not going to join in and argue with the theories that have been put forward against him, some have merit, some are dubious IMO.....and in an effort to second guess theories to defend him I guess I too have resorted to dubious claims.

Look we all want our club to do well and more than that illustrate the pride we feel when we declare "I am a Villa Fan".....my god that means something to us.

I equally know stability for the sake of it is futile.....but there is equally a sound rationale to say teams need time to get to know each other and gel......I have seen it happen for 50 odd years, players written off and then revered when they got their bearings.

I am not saying this manager is the future of Aston Villa Football club, but I am equally in doubt he is as bad as some make out.

I guess we will all find out in due course.

ps In the last 250 games Steve Bruce win ration is 41%......Slavisa Jokanovic in 120 games is 42%.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

For all what we have all written on here.....We need wins and i say that collectively, me, you, Steve Bruce, Tony Xia....all of us.

I was rather hoping this season would be one of stability in relation to the managers chair.....but above all, I want promotion.

However, my worry is that, will we do more harm than good and judging by the size of this task is it too soon for all these players that have been arriving at a rapid rate since he took over.....they all have to blend.

I guess at the end of the day its all about winning and on that note lets look at the win ratios of some pertinent managers in relation to what has been done recently

In 2015/2016....Sean Dyche took Burnley up as champions with a 56% win ratio......his career is running at 39.1% win ratio.

The same year Steve Bruce took Hull up finishing 4th, with a 52% win ratio his career is running at 37.8% win ratio.....and for the purists at villa currently 41.9% win ratio.

both men clearly out punching their weight that season.

just to give some insight to recent times

In 2016/2017 season....Rafa Benitez took Newcastle up with an impressive 63% win ratio and his career is running at 51% win ratio overall.

the same year David Wagner secured promotion for Huddersfield finishing 5th with a 54% win ratio compared to his career running rate of 38.2% win ratio.

My point is this business is not the exact science we all want to believe it is and managers do have to have exceptional seasons no matter who they are.....and sometimes not so good times.

Generally All managers have peaks and troughs.

Steve Bruce is capable of reaching those win ratio heights to get us back to respectability first and Promotion as the goal....whether he does it is a different argument, but he can.

I am not going to join in and argue with the theories that have been put forward against him, some have merit, some are dubious IMO.....and in an effort to second guess theories to defend him I guess I too have resorted to dubious claims.

Look we all want our club to do well and more than that illustrate the pride we feel when we declare "I am a Villa Fan".....my god that means something to us.

I equally know stability for the sake of it is futile.....but there is equally a sound rationale to say teams need time to get to know each other and gel......I have seen it happen for 50 odd years, players written off and then revered when they got their bearings.

I am not saying this manager is the future of Aston Villa Football club, but I am equally in doubt he is as bad as some make out.

I guess we will all find out in due course.

ps In the last 250 games Steve Bruce win ration is 41%......Slavisa Jokanovic in 120 games is 42%.

You certainly argue your case well tro and that is a very good post if I may say . 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â