Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

:) thanks for that constructive response

Didnt think you needed me to explain.

pretty obvious really

Football -> money -> bigger move ->.............

or dont be a footballer

Edited by Grasshopper

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

Conversely, you have a 19yr old kid moving from Barnsley to Englands 2nd city, with a huge payrise and a opportunity to play for one of the countrys great clubs. 

Its not such a traumatic experience is it really? Most 19yrs olds would see that as an adventure more than anything.

It completely depends on the individual. you can't make sweeping statements like this.

Bree was still living in his parents' house before he moved here. That doesn't just mean this is his first move to a new club, it's the first time he's ever lived away from home.

Yeah it's an adventure, and I'm sure he was hugely excited by it. But it's very easy to see how it could also be a hugely daunting experience and it's unfair to expect players like that to immediately settle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It completely depends on the individual. you can't make sweeping statements like this.

Bree was still living in his parents' house before he moved here. That doesn't just mean this is his first move to a new club, it's the first time he's ever lived away from home.

Yeah it's an adventure, and I'm sure he was hugely excited by it. But it's very easy to see how it could also be a hugely daunting experience and it's unfair to expect players like that to immediately settle.

Maybe what you're alluding too is the reason why so many of our "talented" youngsters can't realise their full potential in the "mens" leagues.

It takes more than just kicking a ball to make it as a footballer.

But I guess its a much of "how much you want it" too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Maybe what you're alluding too is the reason why so many of our "talented" youngsters can't realise their full potential in the "mens" leagues.

All I'm alluding to is sometimes it takes players time to settle, sometimes it doesn't. 

You can't make generalisations either way. 

Edited by Stevo985

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe i didn't explain myself properly. 

I'm not saying its easy for everyone, i understand a move could be extremely dauting for some people. I was just really playing devils advocate to @sir_gary_cahill post that suggested how difficult it was for young players to move to a new club. 

Its is difficult for some, easy for others. 

Bree looked good to me towards the end of the season, definitely want him ahead of Hutton next season. 

At 19 it's entirely possible that he has found it difficult to settle, whether that's into a new city, new club, or both. This can be the case at any age and any walk of life. I'm sure people on here have moved jobs and have taken time to settle to a new environment/ way of doing things, perfectly natural. 

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Regardless of our thoughts on Bruce sacking him now would almost be like starting again. Yet again. We are just going to have to hope he delivers. 

The squad is still new and impressionable for me. Any decent coach coming in at this stage would be able to make a big impact before the season starts as it the team so unsettled anyway.

Bruce had over half a season and a very well backed transfer window - we looked slightly better in some games and just as crap in many. There was no consistency with positions, formations or personnel.

If we'd even had a good final four or five games I'd have been up for it. Banging the Brucie drum. But we looked clueless and dull time after time.

He's obviously no going to get sacked. But he's had a bad first 8 months, lots of improvements to make.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We were harder to beat under RDM. 

But we were suckers for that last minute equalising goal - hence RDM's rather inglorious record of 0.9 points per game.

Hence also Bruce's first two comments when he took over: a) squad not fit b ) no resilience.

Tell you what, man, if we'd stuck with RDM, we would be having a very different discussion now about the manager's future and the club's prospects next season. 

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

But we were suckers for that last minute equalising goal - hence RDM's rather inglorious record of 0.9 points per game.

Hence also Bruce's first two comments when he took over: a) squad not fit b ) no resilience.

Tell you what, man, if we'd stuck with RDM, we would be having a very different discussion now about the manager's future and the club's prospects next season. 

Where do you think we would be if we had stuck with Di Matteo?

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where do you think we would be if we had stuck with Di Matteo?

Gianfranco Zola couldn't have took this squad of players an awful lot lower than 13th. 

Our league position, given our squad of players was unacceptable. Bruce was poor last year. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Gianfranco Zola couldn't have took this squad of players an awful lot lower than 13th. 

Our league position, given our squad of players was unacceptable. Bruce was poor last year. 

I agree with the majority of your post, Bruce was poor for the most part of last season. Our form around Jan-Feb was horrific, he spent a lot of money in January and those players don't seem to have improved us much, hopefully we'll see the best of them next season

Hopefully pal, because i fear if we dont go up next season we could be down here for quite some considerable time. 

55 minutes ago, av1 said:

Perhaps you'd rather we'd hired Zola , then? 

'Coz unless my memory is failing me, RDM spent £50m and took us down to 19th. 

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Perhaps you'd rather we'd hired Zola , then? 

'Coz unless my memory is failing me, RDM spent £50m and took us down to 19th. 

Mmmn so RDM can be judged as rubbish after 10 games, Bruce can be sh#t for 38 games but deserves more time?

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mmmn so RDM can be judged as rubbish after 10 games, Bruce can be sh#t for 38 games but deserves more time?

Not judging RDM as rubbish after 10 games - I'll go for his full 11. 10 points and 19th place looks pretty rubbish to me. 

Bruce had 35 games, not 38, and got 1.5 points per game, so maybe not so shit as RDM? 

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Don't agree with everything you write GH.....but agree with this.

Only the best make it.......its how it always has been.

I understand Stevo's point but it is not how all this works.....its predatory, there is no place for emotion.....you either make it or you don't.

as sad as all that is.....thats the way it is.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â