Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Get a good start next season and think we'll be flying for the rest of it. 10 points from our first 5 games.

We won 1 game in our first 12 this season.

It's very difficult to finish in the top 6 with a start like that. Derby had a near identical bad start. They had a go at reaching the play offs but like us have finished miles short.

With a good pre season I'd back SB to get us off to the solid start that eluded us this season and we can build from there.

Whilst I agree the start was awful both villa and derby were in the top 8 at xmas and had virtually clawed back the gap to the top six only to both have terrible spells in January and early feb 

one bad spell you can maybe survive but not two which combined saw us win once in twenty games 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Whilst I agree the start was awful both villa and derby were in the top 8 at xmas and had virtually clawed back the gap to the top six only to both have terrible spells in January and early feb 

one bad spell you can maybe survive but not two which combined saw us win once in twenty games 

I think the closest we got to top 6 was 4 point off after beating Wigan. We then went to Norwich and lost and everyone else won and it stayed at 7 before that dramatic loss of form in January-February.

This idea we were certs for play offs and SB messed it up isn't quite true, it was still looking unlikely at xmas.

We just need a good start, set the agenda in a division for once rather than just looking up at another 10 teams and signing another 10 players.

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yes. He was able to stabilize us when we were in 'free-fall' and keep us out of the relegation battle. 

I would call that the absolute bare minimum, and sadly so far that's all I've seen under Bruce.

The very absolute bare minimum expected.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think the closest we got to top 6 was 4 point off after beating Wigan. We then went to Norwich and lost and everyone else won and it stayed at 7 before that dramatic loss of form in January-February.

This idea we were certs for play offs and SB messed it up isn't quite true, it was still looking unlikely at xmas.

We just need a good start, set the agenda in a division for once rather than just looking up at another 10 teams and signing another 10 players.

We were 3 points off 6th place after beating burton on Boxing Day - so we had made up that gap almost whereas today we stand currently 18 points off the top 6 so although the start made It difficult it was really the January February run that killed us .

Although a lot o blame is rightly labeled at Rdm the facts that Bruce had got to within 3 points of the play offs on Boxing Day and we are now 18 points off the play offs he has to take some blame for that , namely his poor choice of keeper and failure to replace kodija when at the afcons

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

We were 3 points off 6th place after beating burton on Boxing Day - so we had made up that gap almost whereas today we stand currently 18 points off the top 6 so although the start made It difficult it was really the January February run that killed us .

Although a lot o blame is rightly labeled at Rdm the facts that Bruce had got to within 3 points of the play offs on Boxing Day and we are now 18 points off the play offs he has to take some blame for that , namely his poor choice of keeper and failure to replace kodija when at the afcons

6 points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38360695

Ross McCormack scored the winner for an under-par Aston Villa against Burton.

Looking at the table now it's very likely 6th place will have 80 points which must be the highest points the final PO team has ever finished on in a 46 game season?

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

RDM can be blamed for the shit start but he can't be blamed for our failure to kick on from being 3 points off the play offs on Boxing Day. That shambles can be firmly and undisputably laid upon Steve Bruce.

• Like 2

The myth is growing...it was 6 after Burton with a slightly inferior GD.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but the closest we got to top 6 this season other than the opening few weeks was beating Wigan in early December. After the game it was just 4 points. We won two out of our next three games yet the gap increased to 6.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but the closest we got to top 6 this season other than the opening few weeks was beating Wigan in early December. After the game it was just 4 points. We won two out of our next three games yet the gap increased to 6.

It was down to 5 points late December when Shef W had a game in hand that they ended up drawing.

Then it all went south.

Speaking about myths, I like the one about how supposedly Bruce has improved our defense and that's partly why our passing and possession is so bad.

Turns out he actually hasn't. We're on (almost) the same goal / game conceded average in the league as we were under Di Matteo. 1.06 vs 1.09 or 49 vs 50 goals over a 46 game season.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

RDM can be blamed for the shit start but he can't be blamed for our failure to kick on from being 3 points off the play offs on Boxing Day. That shambles can be firmly and undisputably laid upon Steve Bruce.

You could argue that if Bruce was in charge from the start of the season we would not of been 3 points off playoffs at Xmas time (BTW pretty sure it wasn't 3 points) Undisputabley on Bruce is your opinion so to use that word is incorrect to start with. He hasn't made me ecstatic but in no means can he be blamed solely on us not making the playoffs. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

6 points.

Looking at the table now it's very likely 6th place will have 80 points which must be the highest points the final PO team has ever finished on in a 46 game season?

Took my info from here however irrespective of whether we were 3 or 6 points off the top 6 the fact remains we are now 18 points off so after a good start under Bruce things unquestionably tailed off badly and for that he has to carry some blame
Rook EAD MORE

CROWD WATCH

Almost a sell-out at Villa Park and even though there were a few grumbles at half-time, the supporters stuck by their team and left happy at the end.

Attendance: 41,337

BIGGER PICTURE

Villa are now up to 10th in the Championship and have overtaken rivals Blues for the first time this term. They’re just three points shy of the top six now. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/aston-villa-2-burton-albion-12371352

Edited by Eastie

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Villa are now up to 10th in the Championship and have overtaken rivals Blues for the first time this term. They’re just three points shy of the top six now. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/aston-villa-2-burton-albion-12371352

Just checked again and at full time we were indeed 3 points off the top 6 on Boxing Day and 1 point off 7th place .

However Sheffield weds won later in the 7.45 TV game  at newcastle to extend that gap .

we had momentum and were on a good run with the transfer window ahead and cash to spend - to be in 14th place now and 18 adrift has  got to be down to Bruce to some degree and I'm a backer of his but not going to pin it all down to rdm and the bad start which we had recovered from .

Edited by Eastie

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

6 points.

We also have to remember that, although we got yo within 6 points of 6th place, we had to integrate several new signings into the side. The midfield was non-existent before signing Lansbury and Hourihane but we couldn't expect them to come in and fill the gaps do quickly. Those two needed time to train with their new teammates and we won't see the result of that until next season. 

Also, we have no strength in depth in midfield, last week's game at Fulham was evidence of that! We need to add some more quality and cover for Jedinak to that squad. 

Bruce will have a full pre-season and friendly matches to get the team sorted and playing his way. There will be no excuses for him next season but, we need to give him this next, proper, transfer window and a first pre-season before making a final judgement on him. And, even if the football doesn't improve, as long as he gets us out of this league that is all that matters. We can look for better quality footballers when back in the top flight. 

Mr Bruce.

When we played your former employers in Small Heath, you had only been in the door 5 minutes and the team was a joke, so your pragmatic approach was understandable. 

Today is slightly different. I didn't think it possible for me to hate those horrible cretins any more than i already did, but then a couple of days ago they employed the most detestable man in world football as their new manager. 

This lot are poor Steve, nothing but a win will do. Have no respect, send out an attacking team and smash these bastards into league 1. 

Love 

Colin x

And the other 40k fans attending today. 

Edited by av1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Just checked again and at full time we were indeed 3 points off the top 6 on Boxing Day and 1 point off 7th place .

However Sheffield weds won later in the 7.45 TV game  at newcastle to extend that gap .

we had momentum and were on a good run with the transfer window ahead and cash to spend - to be in 14th place now and 18 adrift has  got to be down to Bruce to some degree and I'm a backer of his but not going to pin it all down to rdm and the bad start which we had recovered from .

Ahh I see. Yeah technically you're correct but of course it makes sense to wait for all the games from that day to be completed.

I just felt we still had a lot to do at that point. That and teams like Huddersfield and Reading were hardly dropping points at that stage.

I give Bruce just about a free pass for this season. No such excuses next year.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ahh I see. Yeah technically you're correct but of course it makes sense to wait for all the games from that day to be completed.

I just felt we still had a lot to do at that point. That and teams like Huddersfield and Reading were hardly dropping points at that stage.

I give Bruce just about a free pass for this season. No such excuses next year.

I don't see how he can get a free pass. We've had a big enough sample size to form an opinion on him. Whilst I do think he should be next season, overall I've not been particularly impressed. However you are right that there are no excuses next season, the goal has to be automatic promotion. 

Whist he has a better record than RDM he has also been given more time. He's lost as many games as he has won and for me that's nowhere near good enough for a club like Villa. in the championship. A famous cricketer said to me once when I commented how a young player was doing. He replied it depends how low you want to set your set your standards. How low are we now setting Villa's standards? Bruce must go!

Edited by PaulC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â