Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Your wish.......

Right.... as much as I love all this talk  that charlatan Sherwood and how he would have got us promoted (having had a large hand in taking us down in the first place) he isn't our manager. The clue is in the thread title.

So enough of Tactics Tim and back to the illuminating Bruce debate please.

Booooo

i was loving Sherwood getting exposed by facts :)

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You just remember ," the only good football , is winning football "  , unless your Reading, that is .

I agree and shall remember that. Thanks sheepy, enlightening as ever.

19 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

It's not absurd.  Just an opinion.  But I am using 30 years of watching previous Villa teams and 15 years of coaching to come up with this opinion.

I would love to see them go up but IMO based on what I've seen the team is not good enough.

I will gladly hold my hands up if proved wrong.

Genuine question. As a man who has 15 yrs coaching experience.

Given the 7yr decline of the cub, which still has certain players hanging around. The fact we've already had RDM this season and his players.

Has Bruce had enough time to sort out the mess, bed in his own players, develop his way of playing and for all of that to click into place for a playoff push.

In your opinion, can a coach sort all that out in the time he has been here so far. If yes, why and why hasn't it worked?

Im at the point with Bruce where i think i want him to stay more due to the fact we need stability than what hes actually bringing to the club. When he first came it was nice to have an assured honest guy running things. Even his substitutions seemed well timed and thought out, he seemed to be doing exactly what we were calling for in the stands. But honesty is increasingly frustrating. He knows what the issue is but either is doing nothing to fix it, doesnt know how, or isnt good enough to. I dont believe the players arent good enough to. He will rightly be given the summer, but rightly only because the club is screaming out for stability from both management and within the squad.

The more i see the more i dont think we will go up next year, in fact i think we'll struggle for play offs again because it will be a difficult league yet again. The squad depth is a serious concern and the message coming from the club doesnt seem to address that if we do only get 3/4 players in. The balance to the midfield just isnt there. That doesnt mean they arent good enough, it just means the mix isnt right and its Bruce's job to figure that out. 

i dont know who we would replace him with. There isnt any point in putting thought into it because there isnt any chance he is leaving this summer. The pressure will be on even more than it was on RDM as soon as the season starts. 

His formation choice will be interesting on Sunday, the last game the fans will really care about and he has to get it absolutely bang on. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Genuine question. As a man who has 15 yrs coaching experience.

Given the 7yr decline of the cub, which still has certain players hanging around. The fact we've already had RDM this season and his players.

Has Bruce had enough time to sort out the mess, bed in his own players, develop his way of playing and for all of that to click into place for a playoff push.

In your opinion, can a coach sort all that out in the time he has been here so far. If yes, why and why hasn't it worked?

I don't think he's had nowhere near enough time. The football is not great but we've had two very good runs under him which over the last 5 years we could only of dreamed of. We have in my eyes definitely made improvements. Some people don't realise the mess the club was in from years of neglect, and people are expecting us to play like Barcelona. It's just not going to happen over a few months and let's face it, the pretty football some fans want won't happen under Bruce anyway. He is here to get us out of this league which was always going to be hard this season. If he fails next season then people will have a case, but until then....

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 4

On the basis that Bruce is staying (because he is), and that he is currently the best and most qualified man for the job (because he is).

I would like the fans to reserve judgement until we have a proper opportunity to judge him. It's been a while since we've had stability throughout the club from the end of one season to the start of another. A full pre-season with the majority of the few signings we need already through the door gives us the best chance of hitting the ground running. 

This season was a write off from the start. Bruce's football has been dire at times, it's been the definition of hit and miss most this season. However, the previous 6 years were almost entirely miss. The fact he has made the fans go from writing off every weekend we played away, to expecting a win against a very good Fulham side, shows how far we've come in a short space of time. 

Allow the club some stability. Judge him on the transfer window. Judge him on the start to next season. If we're going into the Christmas period outside the play-offs then I think he'll be in trouble but I never much doubt that will happen. 

Since Bruce took over we've lost 11 games, i believe we will have improved going into next season and can afford to lose 12 games and still get play-offs or even 2nd. I don't get the doubt and worry, I'm really looking forward to next season and seeing who we bring in to compliment the squad. Could be a great year to be a Villa fan. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Facts .? Your using stats to bolster your conjecture, because that's what it is  , you can can't be certain that Sherwood wouldn't of done a better job . Your stats have no sway on my opinion ,whatsoever, hence superfluous. 

You should have a look at how Tim Sherwood is doing with Swindon before making claims. 

It would be bold to say Sir Alex Ferguson would have got us automatic promotion. Why pick Tim Sherwood of all managers? I'd have more faith in Lambert coming back and taking us up. 

• Like 2

How does Bruce compare to other managers that have come in mid season? Stam and Monk are out performing him. McLaren has been and gone. Anymore? To say he hasn't had enough time to get this lot playing is ridiculous. He inherited a decent squad and improved it in January. Would RDM have faired any worse? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

How does Bruce compare to other managers that have come in mid season? Stam and Monk are out performing him. McLaren has been and gone. Anymore? To say he hasn't had enough time to get this lot playing is ridiculous. He inherited a decent squad and improved it in January. Would RDM have faired any worse? 

We'll never know if anyone would have fared better of worse.  Other than our individual opinions of course.

But I do agree that he has been working with a group of players that were nearly all consistent, strong performers at previous clubs, but are nearly all performing at a lesser level of consistency and effectiveness now.  They don't seem to be playing together.  They don't seem to be playing as well as they had before working under Bruce's tutelage.  He may be the perfect cure for what we need, but it seems to me that the signs of that are coming all too slowly.  Slowly enough in fact to make it reasonable to fear that the solution might not develop at all, under his care.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â