Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? They're human beings, footballers, mostly with good reputations as consummate professionals and captains. I don't buy this talk of there being a culture issue, it's like talk of a curse. 

If he can't sort it out, he's got to go. Simple. 

I don't buy a curse either, but its just what I feel.....I hope I am wrong.

And yes, he has to sort it out.....but I don't think he will now, because I don't think he will get the time.

Edited by TRO

No point in stability for the sake of stability, not when what we have is a stable downwards trajectory in results and performances. Sack him, and if the next guy can't get it right then sack him too until we find someone who can.

I believe this is now a great squad that should walk automatic promotion with a decent goalkeeper, and just maybe Bruce was important in bringing some of those players in, in which case I thank him for that at least. But he certainly can't get them performing anywhere near the level that is required.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think it's safe to say he's on borrowed time. People may not have realised it, but he's already had the 'vote of confidence' from the chairman, two games ago. 

I think he'd survive a loss against Newcastle but lose the next too and I think he's gone. I think he has to, we can't risk sticking with him. I know it's Derby, but that's the rod he has made for his own back. 

If we lose the next 2 we'll have the worst form in the English football league over a 10-12 game period. I don't care if you are Mansfield, Man U or Aston Villa, not many managers would survive that kind of run of form and rightly so.

Edited by AVFCDAN

When you win one lose one.....you can work your way through that as frustrating as that can be.

losing every game,game after game..... takes on a whole different view......logic and sense go out the window and self survival kicks in.

baring a dramatic change.....I think he has had it.

• Like 1

If Bruce had 100% say on players and I am assuming he did , then it purely down to him that the midfield has no balance as per the comment on Houriane having a player alongside him at Barnsley to do the running.Even with Jed back we won't have that so its a poor buy by Bruce who should know better !!

Can you imagine just how slow and one paced a midfield of Lansbury Jed and Houriane will actually be ...

His comments he will always play 2 up front which has meant attempting to play every formation that allows that and still allowing us a midfield that gets outfought and overrun .

3 games he has got , few points from that and he is a gooner especially if the teams below gain points on us ...

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think it's safe to say he's on borrowed time. People may not have realised it, but he's already had the 'vote of confidence' from the chairman, two games ago. 

I think he'd survive a loss against Newcastle but lose the next too and I think he's gone. I think he has to, we can't risk sticking with him. I know it's Derby, but that's the rod he has made for his own back. 

Yeah, this is where we are for me. Doesn't really matter about sticking or twisting in the long term at this point or what people's views are on the manager. 3 points as an absolute minimum from the next 3 games or he'll be gone. .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nabby said:

If Bruce had 100% say on players and I am assuming he did , then it purely down to him that the midfield has no balance as per the comment on Houriane having a player alongside him at Barnsley to do the running.Even with Jed back we won't have that so its a poor buy by Bruce who should know better !!

Can you imagine just how slow and one paced a midfield of Lansbury Jed and Houriane will actually be ...

His comments he will always play 2 up front which has meant attempting to play every formation that allows that and still allowing us a midfield that gets outfought and overrun .

3 games he has got , few points from that and he is a gooner especially if the teams below gain points on us ...

That is a worrying comment......and yes you are right this midfield is still not balanced.

Last night, I listened to the commentary on local radio. Tony Morley was asked how we can put things right and the only thing he could think of was for Bruce to pick a formation, select the best players for each position within that formation and then to persist with it for 5 or 6 games to see if things can settle down. I totally agree with him and think it is Bruce's best chance of saving his job. Bruce himself said that he thought about 3-5-2 for a while and it seemed like he bought players to fit that formation but, seemingly for fear of it not working and us sliding down the table, he gave up early on it. I actually think he should persist with it and play this line-up for the next 5 or 6 games to see if stability can be found:

------------------------------Bunn---------------------------

----------Elphick---------Chester---------Baker---------

----------------------------Jedinak -------------------------

Adomah-----Lansbury-------Hourihane-------Amavi

-------------------Hogan----------Kodjia-------------------

If Jedinak is injured I would move Lansbury or Hourihane back, replace them with Adomah and play Bacuna at right wing back.

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would like to give the fans a bit of credit for a moment.

• The results they have witnessed, the annihilations, the capitulations and .....still we get decent gates
  • The false dawns, The bullish predictions and the wild optimism......all wearing.
  • The gut wrenching, lilly livered players that have no fight or desire in their play......shameful
  • The changes of personnel, that is unprecedented......and still the fundamentals of the game elude us.

I don't believe there is another bunch that have had to put up with the fall from grace we have and still stand by the club the degree our fans do

To all Aston Villa fans out there......you deserve better than this & a credit to the club you support.

Agreed. Maybe Man City fans had to endure a similar fall from grace but you are right - the fans have been amazing. Incredibly loyal and amazingly patient. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Last night, I listened to the commentary on local radio. Tony Morley was asked how we can put things right and the only thing he could think of was for Bruce to pick a formation, select the best players for each position within that formation and then to persist with it for 5 or 6 games to see if things can settle down. I totally agree with him and think it is Bruce's best chance of saving his job. Bruce himself said that he thought about 3-5-2 for a while and it seemed like he bought players to fit that formation but, seemingly for fear of it not working and us sliding down the table, he gave up early on it. I actually think he should persist with it and play this line-up for the next 5 or 6 games to see if stability can be found:

If Jedinak is injured I would move Lansbury or Hourihane back, replace them with Adomah and play Bacuna at right wing back.

The problem is Lansbury and Hourihane cannot play DM with any competency, also we need a pair of legs in midfield .....my first impressions is that Lansbury and Hourihane are too similar.

But Hey!...... we've got what we've got now.

ps can we get Sanchez back until Jedinak is fit?

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I can't agree with the 5-3-2 formation for us. On paper it should work but it has been adopted so negatively.

I imagine with jedinak in there too we'd almost be playing 6 at the back and the gaps between midfield and attack would be even greater. Which has been an issue.

We have to stop setting our stall out within our own area and inviting teams on. Instead we need to press higher up the pitch and pressurise the opposition in their own half, winning the midfield area. 

How often have we seen an opposition defence under pressure, causing misplaced passes or mistakes?

When jedinak eventually returns, stick him in front of a back four. Worst case scenario is he drops into the back line as a makeshift cb.

Bruce needs to work out how to deploy hourihane and Lansbury together and coach them to be effective together (I won't hold my breath on this happening though)

up top we have kodjia, adomah and hogan (with green and Grealish on standby). All three are decent when going at the defence but with little or no support what's the point?

we have the makings of a successful team, but need positive tactics and coaching to make them click. 

However I don't believe Bruce has it in him to achieve it as he's already too afraid of results so sets up not to lose. 

• Like 1

People keep saying we can't go on like this and we need to sack him. The underlying problem with the club is the fact we keep changing before we can build a team, even half a team, hes only had a few games with his own players.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

People keep saying we can't go on like this and we need to sack him. The underlying problem with the club is the fact we keep changing before we can build a team, even half a team, hes only had a few games with his own players.

The way he's deploying his own players indicates he didn't know much about them before buying them. 

Surely a little research would suggest how to best utilise hogan, Lansbury and hourihane et al. 

At the moment Bruce is shoehorning all of the squad into formations they're not used to so it's no wonder it's gone tits up!

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Amen. This talk of sacking him is insane. The ship needs to be steadied. New manager means culling off more players we've spent crazy money on, buying more crap players and a whole new settling down of players. Let's just stay up this season, and build a team that know how to play with each other (last night was full of players not knowing where to run, where players want the ball etc. etc.).

Just now, theboyangel said:

The way he's deploying his own players indicates he didn't know much about them before buying them. 

Surely a little research would suggest how to best utilise hogan, Lansbury and hourihane et al. 

At the moment Bruce is shoehorning all of the squad into formations they're not used to! 

It may well be that the players he needs to compliment those two are injured,  either way their good players and their Bruce's players.

43 minutes ago, Nabby said:

He gets little sympathy on that one from me as he agreed to Tish going out on loan. 

Bunn

Bree       Chester     Baker    Taylor/Amavi

Jedinak

Gardner - Hourihane - Lansbury - Thor

Hogan - Kodja

Wouldnt be pretty by any stretch, might swap Adomah in for Gardner if Adomah could produce some end product.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â