Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

32 minutes ago, striker said:

Yet it is the manager who signs and chooses the players so if they are not consistently doing what he wants them to then ultimately he must take responsibility for that.

I can't argue.....but he can't put his foot in for them or make a pass, he has to rely on them.

Tonight is massive for Bruce - it seems he plans to roll the dice and really go for it. Should he fail to deliver a convincing victory I think he will be pretty much a busted flush. His naturally defensive approach has not worked and if his newly minted attacking approach fails also he has nowhere to go next.

In hindsight his early success is starting to look like sheer luck rather than the beginning of a revival and a push for the top. By rights you would expect performances to improve as players start to understand Bruces tactics and approach and as he starts to understand the players at his disposal. Say all you want about 'bedding players in' - the kind of money spent warrants far far more than the worst current form in the football league.

An early goal is important tonight and then another soon after. Another loss and the pressure on Xia will be huge. If we lose/draw tonight and next Monday and still stick with Bruce we will be relegated. Bruce will have to perform miracles to still be seen as the man to deliver automatic promotion next season

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can't argue.....but he can't put his foot in for them or make a pass, he has to rely on them.

Sorry TRO but I can't agree with your point at all - it's the managers job to provide an environment for the players to deliver. Good managers deliver good players, good performances and good results and poor managers do not. We have the worst form of the entire football league and the buck stops with Bruce - no excuses

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

He has 3 games to save his job for me, if we win none of them I would be looking elsewhere before we really are in a relegation battle.

Just can't see where the wins are coming from at the moment.

A win tonight and I think he gets away with a loss to Newcastle. A draw tonight and I think he then needs a draw to Newcastle to survive. A loss tonight and a draw to Newcastle needs him needing a win next time out to survive. Two losses and thats it I believe

For what it's worth I think we will win comfortably tonight - law of averages say that Hogan, Kodija, Hourihane or Lansbury will hit the net. A bigger challenge for Bruce is proving before the end of the season that he is the man to take us up next year. A start would be to replace Calderwood with Phelan - not a game changer but would give us a slightler better chance in my opinion

Long term I don't think he is the man for the job and I'm hoping that we can find a way to bring Wagner on board should Huddersfield fail - as I said at the time we should have offered that guy a Kings ransom to come here and I'm convinced we would be comfortably in the play-off spots by now

Edited by VillaCas

I don't think his early success was entirely luck. Our terrible form has coincided exactly with the period where we had 4 away games out of 5. It's absolutely not an excuse and the fact that we've continued to be so poor under Bruce away despite being ok at home is pathetic but I do wonder if things would've been so bad had the balance of home/away games been more even.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

A win tonight and I think he gets away with a loss to Newcastle. A draw tonight and I think he then needs a draw to Newcastle to survive. A loss tonight and a draw to Newcastle needs him needing a win next time out to survive. Two losses and thats it I believe

For what it's worth I think we will win comfortably tonight - law of averages say that Hogan, Kodija, Hourihane or Lansbury will hit the net. A bigger challenge for Bruce is proving before the end of the season that he is the man to take us up next year. A start would be to replace Calderwood with Phelan - not a game changer but would give us a slightler better chance in my opinion

Long term I don't think he is the man for the job and I'm hoping that we can find a way to bring Wagner on board should Huddersfield fail - as I said at the time we should have offered that guy a Kings ransom to come here and I'm convinced we would be comfortably in the play-off spots by now

It seems ridiculous to be giving him only 2-3 games to save his job when he only had half a season but he's left us no choice really, the run we are on at the moment is as bad as anything from the last few years.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree with all......the manager is ultimately responsible for results.

however, I see things from individual players, that i find hard to blame any manager for, including past ones.

The players have to do their jobs, in order for any managerial work.....to work.

if the musician, can't find a tune......The conductor can do nothing.

When the conductor spends the entire performance with his stick stuck up his arse then don't be surprised if the musicians play some duff notes.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't think his early success was entirely luck. Our terrible form has coincided exactly with the period where we had 4 away games out of 5. It's absolutely not an excuse and the fact that we've continued to be so poor under Bruce away despite being ok at home is pathetic but I do wonder if things would've been so bad had the balance of home/away games been more even.

That, plus our two most creative players (McCormack and Ayew) have both left the club.

I don't think they were necessarily the answer (although, personally, I like Ayew as a player) but we haven't replaced them in terms of creativity and we've got Kodjia up top who will shoot on sight.  It's a disastrous combination.

We've basically got to hope that Lansbury/Hourihane/whoever will be able to create for Hogan/Kodjia whilst Hogan/Kodjia actually click as a partnership.  If all that happens, we should be OK.

19 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It seems ridiculous to be giving him only 2-3 games to save his job when he only had half a season but he's left us no choice really, the run we are on at the moment is as bad as anything from the last few years.

He's had more games than RDM had.

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

He's had more games than RDM had.

Agreed but it comes to a point where you can't keep changing your manager twice a season and expect things to magically improve.

As I said before though he's really not leaving us much choice in the matter, we aren't just average at the minute we are bloody awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Look at his championship CV, name someone who has a better record at this level?

you can slate Bruce for his recent poor form but to slate xia and the board on recruiting him is ridiculous

It is a rhetorical cry of despair ,and don't for one minute ,tell me there is something ridiculous about that .

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â