Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Tiger Woods has won 14 major titles (Only Jack Niklaus has won more - 18)

So if any one knows how to win a major its him. 

Steve Bruce has 4 promotions from Ch to PL (noone has more)

So if anyone knows how to get promoted its him

Tiger Woods is past it though - spent force

ALL Villa managers since God knows when become a spent force.

We are in fact the best at rendering players coaches & managers alike useless.

Only nowadays we need less time to do it. we've become super efficient at it. Maybe even the worlds best.

The only ones who can compete with us are Portsmouth & Leeds, However, Leeds are being Monk'd at the moment.

If we stay patient enough, give it time and a bit more money, I'm sure we'll be Bruce'd into a Portsmouth soon enough.

We all like to see progress.

But mark my words.

We could wait another hundred years.

And we won't ever see it.

Paragraphs out.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Unless things change massively, I don't think Bruce will be here for the summer window.

He doesn't have a lot of time, and I am unsure at this point that he can do it.

I think Bruce will be here next season and I'd expect a top 10 finish at worse this season - win these two home games and all this clamour will die down considerably. 

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

I know we've gone round the houses on this between us but, for just one example, do you really think Lansbury is playing so deep by accident ?  Or think as I do, its design.  If its by design surely that lends itself the idea that the Team is doing what Bruces Teams have always done, and the sitting so deep is deliberate (and therefore the cause of both the lack of space and the hoof ball ?

And I wont go near the 'learning to play together argument as I think its nonsense !  Yes if they had just come from Spain or Australia, but a couple of top Championship additions struggling to learn how to play together ? Nah.

You wait and see - if he lets them off the leash and allows them to play on Saturday they will look like they've played together for ever !

We obviously disagree Terry......but I would imagine Lansbury is playing there because Jedinak is injured.

you dismiss my speculation as you wish......but changing managers constantly is equally nonsense.

you say, they are playing by design and presuming you are right, how does that account for......losing headed duels constantly, losing the ball on one on ones, being second to balls, losing control of the ball in encounters, poor decision making and the list goes on.

do you honestly believe he is instructing them to do that?

It's an awkward stat that he's improved us in taking us away from the bottom three that we were in when he joined yet, we're now even further away from the top six than we were when he joined. I guess you could look at it as failure if you consider that all said his job was to get us to the play-offs. But, he's only just acquired a midfield.

If we'd had a midfield from the start of the season maybe Bruce wouldn't even be here and we'd still be talking about Di Matteo.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Unless things change massively, I don't think Bruce will be here for the summer window.

He doesn't have a lot of time, and I am unsure at this point that he can do it.

We can't keep scrapping managers.

We have hired and fired so many managers in the last 5 years that we don't know if our problem is the players, the managers, or the mere lack of stability.

A manager at this club needs longer than 6-12 months, I feel lack of managerial faith has been one of our biggest problems.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

We can't keep scrapping managers.

We have hired and fired so many managers in the last 5 years that we don't know if our problem is the players, the managers, or the mere lack of stability.

A manager at this club needs longer than 6-12 months, I feel lack of managerial faith has been one of our biggest problems.

No improvement by the end of the season, will put us all in a much clearer view of the state of play.

At the moment we are dog poo.

We ALL know  he has until the end of the season to show some feasible signs of improvement.

we will then revisit it......in the meantime...

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I've seen some say or allude to that Bruce is the short term option to gain promotion. I would hazard a guess that Xia also thought along those lines when he first employed Bruce envisaging with his new manager's prior record of promotions that Villa would at least be in a position to challenge for promotion this season.

Being 13 points off sixth at this stage, if you pardon the pun, isn't what the Dr ordered despite Xia's recent tweet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I've seen some say or allude to that Bruce is the short term option to gain promotion. I would hazard a guess that Xia also thought along those lines when he first employed Bruce envisaging with his new manager's prior record of promotions that Villa would at least be in a position to challenge for promotion this season.

Being 13 points off sixth at this stage, if you pardon the pun, isn't what the Dr ordered despite Xia's recent tweet.

Maybe not but he did say that it was the clubs aim to win promotion this season or next and having bought several players in Bruce will be given time to gel his team - let's be honest we should have beaten forest had it not been for glaring mistakes and I fully expect us to kick on with jedinak and Taylor in the team - now he has the nucleus of his own team and system sorted he should be judged on what happens until the season ends and I expect a serious turnaround in form and results from herein.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe not but he did say that it was the clubs aim to win promotion this season or next and having bought several players in Bruce will be given time to gel his team - let's be honest we should have beaten forest had it not been for glaring mistakes and I fully expect us to kick on with jedinak and Taylor in the team - now he has the nucleus of his own team and system sorted he should be judged on what happens until the season ends and I expect a serious turnaround in form and results from herein.

I fully agree that he should be given until the end of the season with his signings. I can't see a new manager making up 13 points unless the teams occupying the playoff places have a catastrophic loss of form with Villa improving by the same margin.

However my point is that there must be at least some disappointment within the board how results and performances have taken a nosedive since the initial new manager bounce under Bruce as he has failed to reach that initial expectation to at least be competing for a playoff spot. Some fans I would expect were hoping for more than that although that has proven unrealistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am a little on the fence, I understand he needs time but I also understand why some people are fearful.

More than anything else I feels it's a combination of performances and bizarre timing, and choice of substitutions which have people worried.

Most of us would agree that it is pretty much a new team and will need time to gel.

For instance the keeper situation is baffling, why swap Gollini for a British Gollini?Thing is truthfully we also don't know if they had already thrown in the towel for promotion this season, rectified our most blaring weak points with an eye on investing in a top keeper come summer.

One the one hand, we can wait and give him time, but what happens if nothing improves and they end up sacking him anyway? We start all over again giving other teams a head start, AGAIN.

Or we keep him and HOPE he comes good.

To be fair we all know he has the experience, but does he have the modernity to take us forward? 

It's all catch 22's and fact is we are in the championship, you don't need the prettiest football to get up.

I have always liked Bruce from a distance, but for some reason it seems like recently he has turned into all our other managers ffs.

I hate to admit it, but under RDM attacking performances were on the whole better.

Although I was mightily pissed after the last game, I think the best option is to keep him until at least the end of the season.

We have some of the best players at this level, some with Premier League experience and others with Premier League potential so there can hardly be anymore excuses.

Great post JV. Exactly where I am with it all at the moment. Keep flip flopping between being mildly hopeful and then pissed off.

• Like 2

As stated in another thread, I think it would be premature to even consider sacking Bruce. This is a manager that has taken over a complete shambles of a squad. Now he is rebuilding it at a rapid pace. We need to give the new signings time to gel and back them all the way. The players are certainly there and I think Bruce could well be the right manager for us. I would give him until the end of next season. If we aren't promoted by that point then Bruce should be sacked without a doubt. We need some solidarity right now though and this team needs time to gel and gain confidence. Hopefully it will all click over the coming weeks. My only slight concern is some of the odd decisions Bruce has been making in recent weeks with regards to substitutions. No forwards on the pitch (even though we only had 10 men) is odd to say the least. Anyway, I am still backing him and will continue to do so. Next season it is promotion or bust though. We have spent a fortune and by that point Bruce will have been given plenty of time...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If we don't start winning soon with that squad we are truly cursed. 

Not sure I'm over keen on Bruce's approach to games but even he should get that lot winning at this level.

The new issue is that, since promotion chances are pretty much gone, they might just coast it the rest of the season feeling there is nothing to play for. Which may present in the words of Fox a "false narrative" on the standings of the players, manager and potential of the team.

I for one hope they give it their absolute all!

I don't think Johnstone's performances have turned out anything like any of the villa park backroom staff have envisaged....blimey Tony Coton is still a scout, I think.

He came in like a storm trooper.

Its easy to be wise after the event.

However, a keeper making errors, unnerves everyone.

The manager is ultimately responsible for it all.....but that is quite different from blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The new issue is that, since promotion chances are pretty much gone, they might just coast it the rest of the season feeling there is nothing to play for. Which may present in the words of Fox a "false narrative" on the standings of the players, manager and potential of the team.

I for one hope they give it their absolute all!

That may also offer the flip side of playing without pressure too though.  And we all know how Aston Villa players crack under pressure.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â