Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, SidSidSidSid said:

I was happy when Bruce got the job, and his ppg compared to RDM is a massive improvement for sure....but some of his decisions are infuriating. 

Cardiff away was always going to be a battle. When I saw the centre 2 he picked, I was sure we'd lose the battle. As inept a decision as RDM's Preston line up. 

So, he admits he picked the wrong team. Well good on you! Don't throw your players under the bus to placate the fanbase though! That don't impress me much. 

From what I've seen of all 3 players, (AW and GG over years, and AT over half a season) Tish is top of the pecking order, even more so v Cardiff away! With Jedinak missing picking Tish was IMPERATIVE for me...but that's been the case all season

Jedinak was ill so I support him not playing. Tishbola on the other hand...

I think he took his chance s we won't see the gardwood combination  again I hope 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Blimey, have you read the comments section of that article?

The state of Villa fans these days. Utter morons. 

:lol::thumb: 

I know yeah.. I mean, did you see those **** imbeciles last year starting up protests? :crylaugh:   Dorks.  ;) 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bruse interview. No beating around the bush. I like how we often see the same game. 

Will pick his best side Vs Spurs. 

I'm glad he is. You can't just not try in the fa cup even though it's lost a lot of its magic. Fair play Brucie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm glad he is. You can't just not try in the fa cup even though it's lost a lot of its magic. Fair play Brucie.

I disagree, i literally wouldnt be averse to sending out the youth team if it improves our promotion chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You can't just not try in the fa cup even though it's lost a lot of its magic.

Yeah you can, it's a joke of a competition these days. Send out the kids, lose and move on. It's only worth trying for if you're in the premier league and already have enough points in the bag to ensure safety.

Edited by villa89

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yeah you can, it's a joke of a competition these days. Send out the kids, lose and move on. It's only worth trying for if you're in the premier league and already have enough points in the bag to ensure safety.

It's a joke because no sod takes it serious anymore. It's one of the downsides to modern football.

Fairly long, and I think is the text version of that audioboom piece so only quoting the first paragraph, but I'm so impressed with everything he's said here. It just makes so much difference to have someone who knows what he's doing and actually is a football manager!

Manager Steve Bruce discussed claret and blue matters with the media once again this week on the eve of the FA Cup clash with Tottenham.

Officials Site Bruce Interview

Edited by alreadyexists

Win/win situation to put out our strongest available team. Win the game and we take a big scalp in the cup, lose and it will show the owner and everyone else at the club just how far off this lot would be competing against one of the bigger teams in the Premier League. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

I don't care what team they put out in terms of personnel.

what I do hope is that who wins a place in the team stretches every sinew to make sure Spurs have an uneasy ride.

if the Spurs players, never ever want to see us again.....I will be happy.

we all know that Spurs will win.....let's just make sure they have to work their nuts off to accomplish it.

it just may be the way back for us......even if we do lose......if we lose with dignity.

at some stage the "eye of the tiger" needs to come back to us.

Edited by TRO

50 minutes ago, villarocker said:

lose and it will show the owner and everyone else at the club just how far off this lot would be competing against one of the bigger teams in the Premier League. 

I really don't think this needs any effort. lol

• Like 2

My only question of you Steve; if Bunn has been ahead of Gollini for the last few weeks, why is he not on the bench behind Johnstone today? 

That seems to be a strange decision despite the fact I'd rather have Gollini as number 2 than Bunn.

This type of performance shows why Bruce has got results for the likes of blues and hull. Adomah and Bacuna tucking in so deep making us very hard to break down. First real time we've had to do this  this season as in championship we are always the "bigger team".

Bruce is unquestionably doing a good job.

But I can't escape the thought, yet again today, that he may be too negative ( albeit in a thouroughly understandable desire to build resilience and stop the rot of a perpetually losing team).

I just think today, and pretty much every other game since he has been here, we have looked better when on the front foot. If he could just tweak it 20% more that way I think we'd be better for it.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I thought the approach was about right today, especially given our lack of quality up top. We don't even manage to play good attacking football in the Championship, so contra idiots like Danny Murphy, we were never going to be able to successfully do that today at Spurs, despite that sort of football qualifying as 'having a go' in his book. #

Frustrating them and nicking a second half goal and defending that lead was the only way we were going to win, but their quality shone through in the end. 

But you know that if we'd gone there and "had a go" and conceded 3 in the first 20 minutes he'd be criticising us for being naive. Murphy is a word removed of the highest order.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Bruce is unquestionably doing a good job.

But I can't escape the thought, yet again today, that he may be too negative ( albeit in a thouroughly understandable desire to build resilience and stop the for of a perpetually losing team).

I just think today, and pretty much every other game since he has been here, we have looked better when on the front foot. If he could just tweak it 20% more that way I think we'd be better for it.

I don't think it's unquestionable he's doing a good job. We have an insanely expensively-assembled side and we are not really progressing and have not really played well since Brighton. Yes it will take time but he is not picking his best players nor getting close to the best out of them. The football we are playing is not progressive. We play on the counter at home to Burton, we are out-played by Leeds.

We have bought two of the best players in the Championship, along with numerous other very good players at this level.

We are not looking to get between the lines or controlling the play, we are looking for the long ball. The movement is poor. We have good enough players to control games at this level, but aren't. I don't think Bruce is doing a bad job, but like you said it is far too negative - for me at least. We certainly look far more solid but seem so happy to give the ball away rather than keep it - this isn't about today, it is a general observation.

It worries me that Bunn is clearly told to go long when he often has a simple short option. It worries me that a runner like Gardner is favoured over a progressive, dynamic ball-player like Tshibola. It worries me that runners like Bacuna are favoured over quality players like Ayew. It worries me that Jedinak and McCormack are still clearly not fit.

I do believe he has the full capability to get us up the table, and a transfer window will help him. I do expect more though. He is very much a British manager, but football is evolving beyond "shut-up-shop" and "anywhere will do". Huddersfield, Wednesday and Reading are good examples of this and they are all above us in the table having spent far less. I get their managers have had more time, but they weren't playing in this manner.

Our net spend is higher than most top clubs in Europe and we have scored fewer goals than all but 1 of the top 14 of the Championship.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â