Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Has the brucefest now officially started? 

I'm eating nothing but potatoes in homage to the man.

We need to go on a run of wins now. Being unbeaten is great but it's points that matter.

• Like 3

I think the genius of the man to date, is not so much as he's got the team starting to play well, measurably better each week, but doing it with players he was unlikely to have  bought himself had he been here at the start. For the first time, I could actually begin to see the point in a "Director of Football" where the vision of the club is to play quality,expansive attacking football, and it's the managers job to implement it. I mean, isn't that how most "management" jobs outside of football are organised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juju said:

I think the genius of the man to date, is not so much as he's got the team starting to play well, measurably better each week, but doing it with players he was unlikely to have  bought himself had he been here at the start. For the first time, I could actually begin to see the point in a "Director of Football" where the vision of the club is to play quality,expansive attacking football, and it's the managers job to implement it. I mean, isn't that how most "management" jobs outside of football are organised.

I agree but I wouldn't talk about genius quite yet. it's just being competent and starting with the basics and getting things right. Regardless of the group of players if you can get them to a higher level of fitness, know their individual roles well and understand those around you, build up patterns of play with and without the ball etc. then they will look like a better side. 

The fact that he has managed to get the performance we saw second half away at Brighton out of this group in such a short space of time from them being pretty shambolic previously, well if shambolic is harsh then at least the whole being far less than the sum of the parts, is pretty remarkable. They are one of the better footballing teams in this league, at one point we had a more than 70% of the ball and were camped around their 18 yard line for ages. I haven't seen us do that to any kind of team for so long. 

More power to him, as for the Director of football comments then I agree entirely, Personally I think the days of having all the power in the hands of the manager should be long gone, it's nothing to do with continental models or not. Look at Southampton as a brilliant example, but they aren't the only one's. Udinese did it for years over here, long term view coming down from Director of football consistently applied down through the first team coach to the youth set up etc. Essential in my view.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 2

I honestly can't remember the last time we were camped out at the edge of the opponent's penalty box for large stretches just applying pressure and creating clear cut opportunities. Ironically, I remember one match under McLeish against QPR at home when Ireland and Keane were running the show, and we came away with a draw that night too iirc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, av1 said:

What's impressed me the most is this notion of "going back to basics" because the very definition makes it sound pretty easy, defend well, score goals, simples. But it isn't that easy is it? We have had "manager" after "manager" that simply couldn't grasp the idea even though a couple of them were bloody good players in there day. 

This club has fell of a cliff over the last few years and there were honestly times when I thought even the best managers in the world would struggle to get a song out of us, such was the decline. What Bruce has done to almost instantly halt 5yrs of shit is truly remarkable. 

Its one thing knowing what to do.....its another thing doing it.

I suspect Steve Bruce has won the hearts and minds of the players and they are doing as they are told.

when tough requests ,hard work and discipline are delivered in a personable way....its amazing what response can be achieved.

Not saying Steve is perfect or that his team selections will agree with all of us and there is still much to improve upon.......but my God he has changed the mood of this football club.

I still believe a few old fashioned tried and tested values have been re-introduced under Steve.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I honestly can't remember the last time we were camped out at the edge of the opponent's penalty box for large stretches just applying pressure and creating clear cut opportunities. Ironically, I remember one match under McLeish against QPR at home when Ireland and Keane were running the show, and we came away with a draw that night too iirc.

I remember that. QPR went 2-0 up (one of them being THAT Warnock own goal) and they just sat back for the rest of the match.

What was promising the other night was that Brighton had just equalised before half-time so the momentum should've been with them.

• Like 2

I have a friend who is addicted to english football, he follows almost evry team like i follow villa and has won alot of money on betting, i value his opinion very highly.

When Steve Bruce was announced as the new boss he told me: Now finally you have got yourself a very good manager.

Looking forward to see what he can do with some serious financial backing.

On 2016-11-19 at 08:37, TrentVilla said:

I just wish he had been here longer.

Hats off, you were out early criticizing RDM and calling for a change. I was sceptic as we've had a sily number of mangerial changes over the last one and a half years and as I'm generally for giving managers time. Now having seen what Steve Bruce has done in this short time I can only be greatful that RDM was removed and that it happened relatively early.

The game against Brighton was the first in many many years where I saw a well organized team with a proper shape and tactics, where the players knew their roles and worked hard during the whole game. Ever since McLeish (with some exceptions during Garde) we've had this horses for courses tactics that just doesn't give the team any identity and in my opinion won't work in the long term. Steve Bruce really seems to know what he is doing and I'm really glad to have him as our manager. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day....Its all about Managers.

Of course they need help and financial support.....but they are the catalyst for making the whole thing work.

We, unfortunately have had our unfair share of ineffective ones.

Hats off to the hierarchy for finally getting it right.

On 11/20/2016 at 10:44, Juju said:

Don't forget the massive value defensive qualities can give you too.....Its the bedrock for all what you talk about.

Newcastle scored 2 away to Leeds, but the clean sheet there was an important feature too.

Getting the 2 elements in harmony is what wins leagues......one without the other is just half a job done.

5th in the form table under Bruce.  It feels like we are really beginning to build something here.  

For years our teams have been less than the sum of their parts.  I'd say now it feels we're on a par.  Still need to step up to make us play above our capability - we need to open up the goal scoring soon and really turn it on.  From now till Jan we've got a run of games that should see us winning and winning well.  

Bring it on Steve.

(and keep a slice of that humble pie for me please).

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I had quite big reservations about him when he was appointed so I perhaps needed less to tip me over the edge, believe me my natural inclination is actually for giving time and not for making changes. I just feel very strongly that when someone is wrong you have to make a change, time won't change the inevitable. I wanted him gone after the Brentford game and I still think we should have acted at that point.

In regards to Bruce, it is abundantly clear the things he has done in the short period of time that he has been here and they are in sharp contrast to RDM.

• Quickly identified a formation suited to the personnel available
  • Had the confidence to stick to it even when performances (Wolves) aren't great
  • Ensured players know what is expected of them and you'd imagine the consequences if not delivered 
  • Picked people in the right positions (crazy notion that one)
  • Made intelligent subs in matches which show he is watching the same game rather than making planned changes
  • Worked, worked and worked again on the training ground on team structure, positioning and responsibilities in and out of possession
  • Improved the performance of every single player individually
  • Installed belief and confidence 

All these things are evident from the way we are playing, if we could just be a little bit more creative and a little more clinical with our finishing we would start stringing wins together.

There isn't a side in this division we can't match in a game, including Newcastle. We just need another 5% or so of collective improvement, particularly in terms of scoring goals.

Completely agree, and also he has given everyone an opportunity (gabby) so he has been very fair in what he wants

Edited by Demitri_C

On 18/11/2016 at 12:55, carewjust4u said:

Can I just say for the first time in almost half a decade I actually look forward to watching our team play, and I have Brucey and Xia to thank for that. I've become so used to watching half-arsed players play a tactically poor game plan, for a manager that really doesn't have a clue. It's so refreshing to have a manager I actually respect in both a personal and professional context and actually has the required credentials to manage a club such as this. I almost feel as if I forgot the feeling of watching a team with an actual identity with players that have a suited role within that system. Really enjoying all the positivity coming out of the dressing room at the moment and we actually have players I actually really enjoy watching (Ayew, Kodjia, Chester ect)....and i still feel this team hasn't even gotten out of third gear. Apologies for the optimism out the blue, but i'm off to Brighton this afternoon and for once i'm in a really good mood for the football and thought i'd share. 

Actually :trollface:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â