Next Villa Manager

Richard

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

The media are tossers. Nothing new.. just the usual 2+7 = 61 formula.

If Bruce arrives here it will certainly raise questions of Dr. Xia from many!.. me included.

What questions will it raise?

• Like 1

I feel like Bruce is one of those managers who’s time is coming to an end.  I haven’t seen anything to suggest he can innovate and adapt to the ever evolving football landscape, something which I think guys like Allardyce and even Pullis to some extent have done.  From what I can see, he’s a good man manager who learnt from the best, but has gotten by through implementing the same old ideas which are slowly becoming outdated and less effective. 

Just like players, managers have a sell by date and I wouldn’t want to get stuck with one which is close to theirs.  If it definitely meant us getting back up this season, then sure I’d take him, but IT DOESN’T!!  Some people are talking as if Bruce guarentees promotion but it’s a risk just like anyone else.  Is it a lesser risk?  Depends on how you see it.  The championship has evolved just like the premier league and the younger, more forward thinking managers seem to be getting just as good results, if not better than the older, more experienced heads.  RDM and Clarke between them must have hundreds of championship games under their belts but I don’t see what benefit that’s brought us?

Wagner for me seems like an innovator.  Someone with real management and coaching quality.  And as we’ve seen with our summer player purchases, it’s only when you buy real quality that you see a return.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well I didn't say that and I don't agree, no. 

We do this every time lately. Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, RDM, potential potential potential. It has been both our transfer policy and our managerial policy for far too long. 

Giving the job to Steve Bruce would be the equivalent to signing a few established Premier League players with dependable attitudes the summer before last, as opposed to a load of soft nobodies. IMO. 

We don't want our club taking gambles like that again, so why are we dead set on them appointing those kinds of managers? Let's learn from our mistakes, for once. 

Maybe Wagner or Rowett would succeed. Maybe they'll go on to be the new Klopp and Clough. Maybe. 

Maybe. 

I dont' give a flying **** if it is gamble or safe,  it needs to be right.  You could get a gamble that was right or safe that was wrong.  The managers you have listed were all ultimately wrong for us for whatever reason: Poor backing, numpty, no backing or over rated.  Any managerial pick is a gamble at the end of the day as you never know what they will do or if the challenge or support they would get was understood.  So the gamble or safe argument doesn't wash with me.  Like saying someone has X promotions to their CV.  At one time those same managers had no promotions on their CV and had to achieve something,  had to take a step up to succeed.

" the equivalent to signing a few established Premier League players with dependable attitudes " well there comes a time ,  a tipping point,  when the powers and skills of a player / manager have waned never to return.  Where they are going downhill and time's up.  They have done the best they can reached as high as they will and no longer will be able to achieve.  This is Steve Bruce for me.  It's also a few others.

What I want is a manager who has shown good ability,  is on an upward trajectory and able to progress further with us as a club and them and really kick on.  I am not demanding instant this year success as I never felt we would get that anyway.  I want someone for longevity as I also truly believe chopping and changing managers regularly will cripple us as a club.  I want a manager just able to step up to the top level and build with us so that next year we can achieve promotion as for me that is the only route to building a stable foundation for future success.

Steve Bruce is not that man.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I feel like Bruce is one of those managers who’s time is coming to an end.  I haven’t seen anything to suggest he can innovate and adapt to the ever evolving football landscape, something which I think guys like Allardyce and even Pullis to some extent have done.  From what I can see, he’s a good man manager who learnt from the best, but has gotten by through implementing the same old ideas which are slowly becoming outdated and less effective. 

Just like players, managers have a sell by date and I wouldn’t want to get stuck with one which is close to theirs.  If it definitely meant us getting back up this season, then sure I’d take him, but IT DOESN’T!!  Some people are talking as if Bruce guarentees promotion but it’s a risk just like anyone else.  Is it a lesser risk?  Depends on how you see it.  The championship has evolved just like the premier league and the younger, more forward thinking managers seem to be getting just as good results, if not better than the older, more experienced heads.  RDM and Clarke between them must have hundreds of championship games under their belts but I don’t see what benefit that’s brought us?

I absolutely agree with the thrust of your post.  Not sure I agree on the end bit as for me Wagner is just flavour of the month.  I want someone with at least some length of time of achieving something on his CV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I absolutely agree with the thrust of your post.  Not sure I agree on the end bit as for me Wagner is just flavour of the month.  I want someone with at least some length of time of achieving something on his CV

Now if only I knew how to upload Kenneth Williams pics...

• Like 3

Ahem! I acknowledge that Wagner is currently flavour of the month.  But just because someone happens to be flavour of the month doesn't mean they're not the next big thing either.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Ahem! I acknowledge that Wagner is currently flavour of the month.  But just because someone happens to be flavour of the month doesn't mean they're not the next big thing either.

No it doesnt but it is possible to have flavour of the month with a bit of evidence to back it up and I accept I want Rowett to be our manager,  but he covers both of that so he is an example of what I am suggesting.  Wagner has the current flavour of the mo nth sewed up,  just not a lot to back it up.  Bigger risk

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What questions will be raised if potato head arrives?

If he does, he'll be our potato head.

The man Dr. Xia wants us to dominate football and be a major force.

Hiring Steve Bruce will put question marks over this statement.

It would Remind me of that chap, forget his name now, that arrived along with Lerner and came out issuing a statement we will be signing "World Class Players", only to leave the club a week later!..  the rest is history!

That would be the first serious question anyway.

• Like 1

I agree that Bruce's time is coming to an end - one of the old school managers.  How would he work with Round - who knows?  He would be a very uninspiring choice for me, but I doubt it would be disastrous.

Wagner - potentially big upside, but possibly just a flavour of the month appointment.  I'd be concerned that he needs more time than the fans will potentially give him coming in now.  Our squad isn't naturally built for a gegenpressing game.  But I'd certainly be more excited by the prospect longterm.

If there is any glimmer of chance of getting Dyche or Howe, they both fall in the middle and offer the best balance.   Would be delighted with either and would be a massive statement of intent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

So a player can can only be proven if they got promoted?

Well lets use your benchmark then.

Promoted from Championship: Elphick, Chester, Adomah, RDL (twice) , Jedinak, Bunn

Even with your arbitrary benchmark, there's 6 'proven' players right there. Without the 3 strikers with around 100 goals in this league excluded by your criteria.

Cheers for the heads up. RDL out for the season, Jedinak seeminly past his best and Bunn, less said the better. But the other three, proven by my arbitary benchmark? Absolutely. 

I look forward to these proven players firing us up the league.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The man Dr. Xia wants us to dominate football and be a major force.

Hiring Steve Bruce will put question marks over this statement.

It would Remind me of that chap, forget his name now, that arrived along with Lerner and came out issuing a statement we will be signing "World Class Players", only to leave the club a week later!..  the rest is history!

That would be the first serious question anyway.

Yes, I am starting to think there is a gap between the likes of Bruce and what Tony wants from a long term manager. I think Bruce would be effective but Tony is quite a young guy himself, I think he will go for a more modern option. 

• Like 2

Just now, Richard said:

No it doesnt but it is possible to have flavour of the month with a bit of evidence to back it up and I accept I want Rowett to be our manager,  but he covers both of that so he is an example of what I am suggesting.  Wagner has the current flavour of the mo nth sewed up,  just not a lot to back it up.  Bigger risk

I agree fwiw.  But my spidey sense is tingling with this one.  To go back to your right/safe analogy, I think that while he may be less safe from a gambling perspective I think he is more right in the long run.  I accept that this is all opinion, as most of this thread is.  But his approach to things allied to his results this season for me just makes him the most potentially exciting candidate.  The man just really seems to know his onions, and that would be a novelty for a Villa manager.

I wouldn't be averse to Rowett FWIW.  I would just have him a little lower down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Cheers for the heads up. RDL out for the season, Jedinak seeminly past his best and Bunn, less said the better. But the other three, proven by my arbitary benchmark? Absolutely. 

I look forward to these proven players firing us up the league.

Hey, you set the criteria.

Your comment was 'none of our players are proven at anything'. Then you've even acknowledged we have 3 by your boundaries. Excluding the PROVEN goalscorers we have, randomly excluded (because it's obviously their fault their teams didn't get promoted even after scoring 20 goals)