PieFacE

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Theo Walcott must be the worst. He has some decent spells during a season but never ever kicks on at that point.

When in the last 10 years has Walcott ever had a Hazard type season and been considered one of the best players in the league.

Still at Arsenal though and no sign of moving.

Walcott gets massively harsh criticism (same with Rooney) - maybe it's an "English player" thing?

You've brought up Hazard there - this season, Walcott has 8 goals and 2 assists in the league in 1547 minutes and Hazard has 10 goals and 4 assists in 2095 minutes.  This means Walcott has a hand in a goal every 155 minutes on average, Hazard every 150... and Hazard is playing in a better team unit with better players around him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Walcott gets massively harsh criticism (same with Rooney) - maybe it's an "English player" thing?

You've brought up Hazard there - this season, Walcott has 8 goals and 2 assists in the league in 1547 minutes and Hazard has 10 goals and 4 assists in 2095 minutes.  This means Walcott has a hand in a goal every 155 minutes on average, Hazard every 150... and Hazard is playing in a better team unit with better players around him.

I try to defend English players as much as possible....see my praise for Sterling recently who is outshining KDB atm.

I just think Walcott is a typical Arsenal example of an Arsenal player who can hit form during a season but he never progresses and is always in his comfort zone.

He's had some decent goalscoring seasons but he's never kicked on to be a POTY contender like Hazard has or become a real leader at Arsenal given he's been there 10 years now. Frequently anonymous in the big games and struggles to get even in the England squad which says something.

Walcott is a loser, just like the rest of the squad. He will hit a purple patch a month every season and will keep out with all the usual bollocks about how has kicked on, how he is finally settled. You do that after you have done it for 3 years running, some players never come out with this horseshit after doing it for a decade.

Walcott is the prime example of a pampered footballer, just going through the motions. Same player now as he was 10 years ago, and look at all the training, facilities and experience he has been able to draw on. Utter waste of space.

How many times have I watched him in a qualified against those God awful minnows, who, as they just sit back with 10 men, completely nullify his game, quite simply.

Horrendous footballer. Horrendous.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Walcott is a loser, just like the rest of the squad. He will hit a purple patch a month every season and will keep out with all the usual bollocks about how has kicked on, how he is finally settled. You do that after you have done it for 3 years running, some players never come out with this horseshit after doing it for a decade.

Walcott is the prime example of a pampered footballer, just going through the motions. Same player now as he was 10 years ago, and look at all the training, facilities and experience he has been able to draw on. Utter waste of space.

How many times have I watched him in a qualified against those God awful minnows, who, as they just sit back with 10 men, completely nullify his game, quite simply.

Horrendous footballer. Horrendous.

That's absolute garbage.

He doesn't even just "go through the motions".  He was bought as a striker and has wanted to play as a striker but has had to basically accept that he's in a rotational system which, now, includes Giroud, Perez and Sanchez when he plays up top.  The last time he managed a 30-game season (apparently 24 starts and 8 sub appearances), he scored 14 and got 10 assists - he's generally been pretty consistent with that level of performance, too, with the notable exception of last season (5 goals and 2 assists).

He's always subbed on or subbed off in games - nothing like any of the other "star" players in the Premier League.  In the past 5 seasons, he's apparently played 6,509 minutes - equivalent to 73 games of football.  He's scored 37 goals and got 18 assists.

"Horrendous".

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

That's absolute garbage.

He doesn't even just "go through the motions".  He was bought as a striker and has wanted to play as a striker but has had to basically accept that he's in a rotational system which, now, includes Giroud, Perez and Sanchez when he plays up top.  The last time he managed a 30-game season (apparently 24 starts and 8 sub appearances), he scored 14 and got 10 assists - he's generally been pretty consistent with that level of performance, too, with the notable exception of last season (5 goals and 2 assists).

He's always subbed on or subbed off in games - nothing like any of the other "star" players in the Premier League.  In the past 5 seasons, he's apparently played 6,509 minutes - equivalent to 73 games of football.  He's scored 37 goals and got 18 assists.

"Horrendous".

I didn't realise that. That's pretty impressive. Walcott maybe not bad after all. he's just needs to stay fit.

I'm not sure where those stats come from on minutes per goal but I think they are a bit misleading especially when not given a context and there is an implication (though perhaps unintentional) that it's for the Premier League.

The reality is that Walcott has scored 17 goals in the Premier League over 5 seasons, with this season being the 5th. Discounting this season and going a season further back he has 18 PL goals.

Now I accept that over those seasons his appearances have been limited but he still made 96 or 128 depending on if you use this season or not.

Even taking into account the fact he rarely starts and finishes games that is a pretty woeful return.

And yes he rarely plays as a central striker but even taking that into account I think it's a poor return.

There are two ways of looking at it, you can say he has a poor scoring record because he often plays wide or you can say he often plays wide because he has a poor scoring record. Personally I think it's the later.

His overall scoring record is inflated by domestic cup and European games against weaker opposition, in the PL Wenger simply doesn't trust him as a striker and thinks he has better options and in Giround and Sanchez he is right.

He had one outstanding season in 2012-2013 but even then only got 14 PL goals (and his new contract) but he has never got close to that since.

Injuries have played their part but ultimately he just isn't a good enough central striker for a club like Arsenal.

As for comparisons to Hazard, I'm a little confused by them or what they are supposed to show. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Walcott always seems to be the type of player that will pop up with a goal when Arsenal are 2-0 up and cruising

He needed to leave along time ago to improve and he didnt

Walcott was never going to be a world class player, so I can't really see him improving a whole lot more elsewhere. Plus when Walcott was on form a few seasons ago, Wenger started him every single game. Walcott even got to play the striker spot which he wanted so desperately. 

I think Walcott is very happy to be at Arsenal even if he isn't playing as much as he would at say a club like Everton. No club would give Walcott the wages he is currently on. He got himself a great contract when he was on amazing form. Walcott will be with Arsenal till his contract runs out then sign for a top 10 team. 

22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not sure where those stats come from on minutes per goal but I think they are a bit misleading especially when not given a context and there is an implication (though perhaps unintentional) that it's for the Premier League.

The reality is that Walcott has scored 17 goals in the Premier League over 5 seasons, with this season being the 5th. Discounting this season and going a season further back he has 18 PL goals.

Now I accept that over those seasons his appearances have been limited but he still made 96 or 128 depending on if you use this season or not.

Even taking into account the fact he rarely starts and finishes games that is a pretty woeful return.

And yes he rarely plays as a central striker but even taking that into account I think it's a poor return.

There are two ways of looking at it, you can say he has a poor scoring record because he often plays wide or you can say he often plays wide because he has a poor scoring record. Personally I think it's the later.

His overall scoring record is inflated by domestic cup and European games against weaker opposition, in the PL Wenger simply doesn't trust him as a striker and thinks he has better options and in Giround and Sanchez he is right.

He had one outstanding season in 2012-2013 but even then only got 14 PL goals (and his new contract) but he has never got close to that since.

Injuries have played their part but ultimately he just isn't a good enough central striker for a club like Arsenal.

As for comparisons to Hazard, I'm a little confused by them or what they are supposed to show. 

I don't know how to "multi quote", which is particularly annoying in this instance!

The stats on minutes per goal came from our friends at WhoScored and using only the rows entitled "Premier League" (presumably Premier League - Link: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13796/History/Theo-Walcott).  They show:

Season Team Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating

2016/2017 Arsenal Premier League 18(2) 1547 8 2 1 - 2.7 75.3 0.9 1 7.12

2015/2016 Arsenal Premier League 15(13) 1375 5 2 - - 1.6 79.7 0.2 1 6.58

2014/2015 Arsenal Premier League 4(10) 442 5 - - - 1.6 87.4 0.1 1 6.61

2013/2014 Arsenal Premier League 9(4) 859 5 4 1 - 2.5 81.4 0.3 2 7.11

2012/2013 Arsenal Premier League 24(8) 2286 14 10 3 - 2.7 83.1 0.2 1 7.24

Which is more goals than 17 over 5 seasons - and also includes this season.  You say he hasn't got close to 2012/13 since and, to an extent, you're correct.  Look at the number of starts, though!  This season he's started many more games than in previous seasons and, lo and behold, he's having his best tally since 2012/13.

As I said before, that (according to the above table) is 37 goals and 18 assists in less than 73 full games of football.  I have no idea what return would class as "decent" if that's poor.

As for comparisons to Hazard, a poster said something along the lines of "Walcott has never kicked on to be a POTY contender like Hazard" - and he hasn't.  But he's not that far off in terms of return for his club this season.

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Walcott always seems to be the type of player that will pop up with a goal when Arsenal are 2-0 up and cruising

He needed to leave along time ago to improve and he didnt

Bit of a myth.  His goals this season:

4-3 loss against Liverpool (1 goal) - Scored the opener.
4-1 win against Hull (1 goal) - Scored the goal that gave Arsenal a 2-1 lead.  Subbed off at 3-1.
3-0 win against Chelsea (1 goal) - Scored the second goal.
3-2 win against Swansea (2 goals) - Scored the opening 2 goals.
3-1 win against Bournemouth (1 goal) - Scored the goal that gave Arsenal a 2-1 lead.
3-1 win against Stoke (1 goal) - Scored the first Arsenal goal (equaliser).
2-1 loss against Man City (1 goal) - Scored the only Arsenal goal (first of the game).

I don't really know why I feel compelled to defend the guy a bit, maybe it's because he comes across as intelligent and not a dickhead during interviews, but he gets so much stick for... basically doing a decent job when called upon.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â