Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He made 0 tackles against Ipswich and passed the ball accurately 58% of the time (only Gollini was worse).  If he's not making tackles and passing the ball on, what's his job that he did so effectively?

that's horrific, and people moan about Westwood :lol:

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

to be fair though Ipswich very rarely caused any problems barring injury time

58% passing accuracy though. He gave the ball away 42% of the time he tried to pass it. That's really bad, Sunday league stats

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

58% passing accuracy though. He gave the ball away 42% of the time he tried to pass it. That's really bad, Sunday league stats

If thats the case that is pretty poor, but when I saw him he looked decent in this game. Obviously the stats dont reflect that!

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If thats the case that is pretty poor, but when I saw him he looked decent in this game. Obviously the stats dont reflect that!

He was the worst outfield player for us by a country mile

58% passing accuracy is obviously very poor on the face of it, but no doubt the figure is heavily influenced by the fact that out of 58 total pass attempts Mile tried 10 long balls and only 1 came off. I don't know whether they were aimed long passes trying to play in someone that always have less chance of coming off, hoofs to relieve pressure etc, but i'm not going to be overly critical of someone trying something to get a forward running in behind the defence or clearing their lines when necessary.

14 pass attempts were also with his head (generally less accurate to pass with your head i would say), and 7 of those appear to be where he has won an aerial duel - so hes gone up for a header, won it, and wherever the ball goes counts as a pass attempt.

Also worth pointing out his pass accuracy against Brentford was 87%, including a lovely ball for Kodjias goal, and a couple of other really nice attempts to play people in. So i think he will be fine over the course of the season for us, providing he keeps fit (heard a few local radio people say he may not be fully fit atm) and we get the right player to partner him.

36 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You've already made your mind up and given the kind of player he is, solid but unspectacular, you never need change it. 

Happy for you bro. 

24 of his 58 passes went to the opposition and he didnt make 1 single tackle in the game.

thats not solid but unspectacular, thats shit plain and simple

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

i think the biggest cock up this summer was not signing diame instead of tshibola to play alongside jedinak 

Both are injury prone but a fit Diame has everything Villa are currently missing. Good player.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Interceptions? Man marking? Blocking passing lanes? Tracking runners?

There's presumably a stat for the first one, but unlikely to be one for the other three which are all crucial factors in the performance of a defensive midfielder.

There's a reason managers watch the game from the touchline and don't sit in the dressing room monitoring the OPTA stats.

Are they question marks as in, you don't know he was doing those things or a sarcastic response to say those were the things he was doing?  I was asking as his stats were wank but people (yourself included) said he was decent.

And yes, of course managers don't base the entire game on stats.  I wasn't in Ipswich, being a manager - apologies.

(1 interception, by the way).

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Will we ever let a defensive midfielder play their true role and just sit in front of the defence?

One of the many faults that is being caused by us playing with 2 CM's. U can' t really function as a DCM and only have 1 CM next to you. Especially when that CM is Westy or Gardner and the Wide players are strikers players out of position...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Watching Ipswich and VT match thread, I saw a poster say something to the effect that they hadn't heard jedinaks name mentioned once, so clearly he was useless.  

I thought he had been fine so I started paying more attention.  The commentary mentioned only players that had 3 or more touches.   One touch was not named.  In addition Jedinak was well positioned and intercepted several passes intended to spring an attacker past the back line .   Curiously, none of these were simple passes to jedinaks feet   He was stretching and reaching to knock down the pass   If those touches counted as passes, I'm not surprised they weren't well aimed at teammates.  He was well-positioned and reading play well to anticipate the passing lanes, then stepping in to snag the ball out of its attacking intent.  

In other words, how many tackles nor how many times a commentator says a players name is an accurate measure of effectiveness.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 16:03, NurembergVillan said:

There's a reason managers watch the game from the touchline and don't sit in the dressing room monitoring the OPTA stats.

Indeed. It's because football isn't a statistical game and most stats that quoted about it are bollocks. Watch a game of football and you'll know who played well and who didn't. You don't need stats to tell you what happened. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed. It's because football isn't a statistical game and most stats that quoted about it are bollocks. Watch a game of football and you'll know who played well and who didn't. You don't need stats to tell you what happened. 

Maybe I'm being pedantic.  But while I agree that the only way to fairly assess a player is to watch him play, that in and of itself is not sufficient.  I've watched matches with uneducated fans that seem to notice all the wrong things.  We have posters on here that demonstrate some people can't discern quality (or lack) by watching.

BTW - I have watched multiple matches with scouts from several national teams, and professional teams, and asked them what they are looking for to spot quality.  It has led to some interesting insights.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â