UKIP/Reform NF Ltd and their non-racist well informed supporters

chrisp65

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

‘You're old enough to kill but not for votin'

And even the Avon river has got jobbies floatin' 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

starmer wants to put the age down to voters to 16 and 17. Not sure alot of that age would understand what they are voting for. Not sure thats a good idea. When i was 16 i would have probably voted who my pals did as i was still young and immature 

52% of people had no idea what they were voting for in the recent past, but it didn’t stop them and they weren’t 16/17 🤷‍♂️

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I be worried about under 18s wanting to vote.. 10% of 18-24 year olds want to vote reform 🤢 we need to give our kids a chat

That is is the lowest percentage in all the age groups for reform though, so at least they are brighter than the rest of us.

For what it’s worth, I don’t see there being a major issue. By 16 years old most people are making most of their choices for themselves and do all the stuff already mentioned so yeah, giving them the vote isn’t going to suddenly cause the end of civilisation (although might have just been enough to stop Brexit).

• Like 2

The dim16 years olds just wouldn't bother to vote, the brighter ones might. 

Whereas the dim older people DO tend to vote. 

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

52% of people had no idea what they were voting for in the recent past, but it didn’t stop them and they weren’t 16/17 🤷‍♂️

And do you not think the percentage would have been higher if 16 and 17 year olds were giving the vote too?

12 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

A good thing about giving the vote to 16-year-olds that isn't often spoken about is that it gets young people engaged in politics and gives an incentive to schools to actually give them some political education.

Blows my mind that we learn so little about politics at school, particularly that we don't learn any critical thinking skills to see through the bullshit. Saying that, the more political education kids get, the less likely they are to vote Tory. So it makes perfect sense, actually.

Whilst I completely agree with this my first thought was that the thickos would be dead against “brainwashing” the children with political education in the same way they are about things like sex education and LGBTQ topics.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

the more political education kids get, the less likely they are to vote Tory

Depends who's doing the educating. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whilst I completely agree with this my first thought was that the thickos would be dead against “brainwashing” the children with political education in the same way they are about things like sex education and LGBTQ topics.

Yep. Much as I'm against 'faith schools' brainwashing kids with religion. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Depends who's doing the educating. 

Of course, but even just a lesson in critical thinking would go a long way. And a factual breakdown of how the political system works.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Haha, they absolutely would but you have to just ignore them until a politics class in school is normalised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Yes I agree it’s a fine line between 

1) Making children aware of different faiths, religions and cultures that exist

and 

2) Pushing 1 particular faith or religion onto children as the most important one.

The same can be said for politics. 1) should happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Too right.

I didn't even go to a faith school but we has "prayers"....**** off.

The French have this so right. Schools should be secular places in all things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Too right.

I didn't even go to a faith school but we has "prayers"....**** off.

The French have this so right. Schools should be secular places in all things.

Think prayers in normal schools is still a thing. I was born in 98 and we did prayers at a non-faith school. I know they still do them there.

Christianity still has a fairly strong presence in our education I feel. History is taught in a very skewed way too.

10 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Think prayers in normal schools is still a thing. I was born in 98 and we did prayers at a non-faith school. I know they still do them there.

Christianity still has a fairly strong presence in our education I feel. History is taught in a very skewed way too.

You can't teach modern history and please everyone. Especially when you're dealing with things like the British Empire etc. It's tricky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

You can't teach modern history and please everyone. Especially when you're dealing with things like the British Empire etc. It's tricky.

I didn't say it was easy. But it can absolutely be better. We shouldn't give up on improving it just because it's difficult to do.

21 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Its a legal requirement of the Education Reform Act 1988 that schools have DAILY Collective Worship

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Its a legal requirement of the Education Reform Act 1988 that schools have DAILY Collective Worship

Interesting. Aside from the word 'worship' I kind of like the idea. The 'prayers' I did weren't actually Christian prayers, more just vague 'thank the lord for my school dinner' type things. We did go to the local church though and have a priest come in every now and then.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â