International Football General Chat

villa4europe

I'm not a really Twitter guy, but the San Marino fan account was an absolute delight last night 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A few shocks in the Asian World cup qualifiers today. Aussies lost at home last minute to Bahrain, Harry Souttar with own goal. Their squad barely has any top level players in it now so wouldn't shock me if they missed out on the World cup. Japan 7-0 China and South Korea held 0-0 at home by Palestine.

Six go through and then I think another two go through in another group so no reason to panic but looks like they'll be some new qualifiers from that part of the world.

The confederation most in need of changing its non-sensical qualifying structure IMO, but it's good to see some new names get through to the last stage. Saudi drawing with Indonesia is another massive shock from that round of games. 

Wales v Turkey is live on s4c tonight, no English commentary available though. Might just need to mute the TV and put the radio commentary on.

No offence to any Welshmen/women reading this, I just don’t speak a word of Welsh…

Edited by AJG23

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Digne on the bench 

Andre and youri starting Vs Israel 

Rogers upfront for the u21s, SIJ on the bench (is philogene too old? Not in the squad)

I think I read that Philogene was returned to Villa to get over his injury. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJG23 said:

Wales v Turkey is live on s4c tonight, no English commentary available though. Might just need to mute the TV and put the radio commentary on.

No offence to any Welshmen/women reading this, I just don’t speak a word of Welsh…

It’s been this way for a while now, Wales games only on S4C, as a non-Welsh speaking Welshman it fills me with great pride and disappointment in equal measure.

Played really well that half though, should be one up at least, Rodon missed a sitter (obvs) and Ramsey’s had some good chances, Turkey have been largely shite, hope it continues.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s been this way for a while now, Wales games only on S4C, as a non-Welsh speaking Welshman it fills me with great pride and disappointment in equal measure.

Played really well that half though, should be one up at least, Rodon missed a sitter (obvs) and Ramsey’s had some good chances, Turkey have been largely shite, hope it continues.

Been a bit tetchy at times, some strong challenges. Wales have played some good stuff at times, just need a better cutting edge.

I’ve muted the TV and put my iPhone in front of the TV with the BBC Radio commentary on.

I just read that Craig Bellamy was describing Wales as outstanding so thought they must be doing alright.

Last 4 games:

Wales 0-0 Poland

Gibraltar 0-0 Wales

Slovakia 4-0 Wales

Wales 0-0 Türkiye 

That’s awful by any measure. I have a feeling Craig Bellamy will make it worse, like he does with most things.

Just now, Genie said:

I just read that Craig Bellamy was describing Wales as outstanding so thought they must be doing alright.

Last 4 games:

Wales 0-0 Poland

Gibraltar 0-0 Wales

Slovakia 4-0 Wales

Wales 0-0 Türkiye 

That’s awful by any measure. I have a feeling Craig Bellamy will make it worse, like he does with most things.

Just looking at the stats of the match and they dominated possession and chances against a much stronger outfit. This is an impressive first game for him considering the hole Wales are in before he came.

He might end up being a Kompany level manager.

• Like 1

Googled the line ups from last night, Google rated the Welsh players at around 1.8 and the Turks all over 4, obviously though Wales must have been battered...the stats say something completely different, I don't get it

And for Wales, the reality is turkey are a better team than them on paper, they've got this ruck of youngsters coming through, it's hard to know where to pitch them at the moment post bale, what results should Wales be getting? I'd say they're probably on par with Montenegro so should be looking to get 4 points off them in this group but I'd then expect draws and losses Vs turkey and Iceland, finishing 2nd would be great going 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Last 4 games:

Wales 0-0 Poland

Gibraltar 0-0 Wales

Slovakia 4-0 Wales

Wales 0-0 Türkiye 

Written like a man who didn’t watch the match.

Wales played well last night and should have won, just poor finishing and end product. Obviously been on a poor run of results and hence why Bellamy now has the job.

Can't get over how limited the pool is for Brazil currently.

Still got some decent CBs but their full back and central midfield talent is the worst for decades, Paqueta their best CM and he could easily be serving a worldwide ban by the time the World cup starts. Douglas Luiz didn't even make the squad again.

Vinicius Jr a Balon D'or contender but that's for his club form, just 5 goals in 34 games so miles off Neymar's scoring rate.

Beat Ecuador 1-0 but hardly created a decent chance aside from that so wouldn't have them as a top 5 contender for the World cup even if the Euros showed many of those favourites aren't so great currently.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sne said:

Pretty impressive how little Deschamps is getting out of this France squad. He's a Gareth Southgate levels wet blanket. 

If ever there was a case of the sum being lesser than the whole of the parts…

Edited by AJG23
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Written like a man who didn’t watch the match.

Wales played well last night and should have won, just poor finishing and end product. Obviously been on a poor run of results and hence why Bellamy now has the job.

From a neutral point of view, I thought Wales were the better team and it was only the lack of a real cutting edge that stopped them winning.

Overall, I would say there more positives than negatives from a Welsh point of view last night. Turkey rarely threatened.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Last 4 games:

Wales 0-0 Poland

Gibraltar 0-0 Wales

Slovakia 4-0 Wales

Wales 0-0 Türkiye 

Won't be long until he turns to the next generation I reckon...so he can bully them kids too.

• Confused 1

Everyone knows Bellamy's past, but it seems from what I've read that he's had to confront some of his demons, and he's been vocal in how he has done this and matured. 

IMO if you can do that it speaks volumes about character, and is deserving of a second chance. 

Contrast that with, say, Keane, who does not appear to have ever confronted or contemplated his negative character traits, or some of the crappy things he's done. Similarly Barton, who is a dyed in the wool douchecanoe.

No, I have time for Bellamy. 

10 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

Everyone knows Bellamy's past, but it seems from what I've read that he's had to confront some of his demons, and he's been vocal in how he has done this and matured. 

IMO if you can do that it speaks volumes about character, and is deserving of a second chance. 

Contrast that with, say, Keane, who does not appear to have ever confronted or contemplated his negative character traits, or some of the crappy things he's done. Similarly Barton, who is a dyed in the wool douchecanoe.

No, I have time for Bellamy. 

Bellamy and Barton done a lot worse things than Keane. Not even comparable

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â