International Football General Chat

villa4europe

17 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

It’s interesting that those of you across the pond criticizing the US’s ability to handle football matches are conveniently forgetting about the problems at the Champions League two years ago.   French venue and security and English fans rushing the stadium.   Or are those 2 countries and FA’s unfamiliar with football fan culture.  Pot, meet kettle?

there was trouble at euro 2021 with people rushing the entrance, im currently sat opposite a 24 year old grinning ear to ear because he "jibbed" his way in to the final in Berlin on sunday, even telling me how he got roughed up by the police but still got past them, it happens here all the time

the states does have problems though, its a few things by the sounds of it, controlling ticket sales (which I'm assuming FIFA will do for the WC) segregating fans (which FIFA cant control because I'm guessing a % of tickets will be ballot tickets) and then just policing and stewarding it in greater numbers

the trouble in the stands is probably more alarming than the trouble at the gates

9 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Don’t recall issues but that could be more due to me trying to remember things 30 years ago than anything 🤣 IIRC average attendance was nearly 70k per match. Most of the venues from that WC are no longer in use/torn down, while a few have been significantly revamped/renovated.

The closest matches to me were at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, which was opened in 1930. Mainly recall how brutally hot it was. The 🇺🇸 played Brazil there on July 4 and pretty sure it was nearly 41 C that day. I saw the Stones there later that year

Weather will be a huge issue in two years time given European countries will likely insist matches kick off at 2/3pm to show late night here, going to be brutal and I fear we'll see a very serious incident on scale of Muamba/Eriksen tbh.

Rodri in trouble for singing about Gibraltar being Spanish during the celebrations and Argentinian players on tape singing about how the French players are from Angola (why the can run so fast) and mocking trans people.

Edit: Gibraltar FA has now reported Rodri to UEFA and the French FA has reported Argentina to FIFA.

Edited by sne

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Weather will be a huge issue in two years time given European countries will likely insist matches kick off at 2/3pm to show late night here, going to be brutal and I fear we'll see a very serious incident on scale of Muamba/Eriksen tbh.

No doubt. Just took a peek at the list of venues and a handful should be OK with respect to potential heat: the three indoor in Atlanta & Texas, Santa Clara, Seattle, Vancouver. L.A. most likely OK but you never know. Toronto probably fine. Foxborough, Philadelphia, & New Jersey are a dice roll but probably hot & humid, all depends on the given day. Kansas City & Miami will be infernos. Mexico venues likely warm but 👍👍 (due to altitude). 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

So another Winter World Cup in 2034 annoying.

I pretty much skipped the Qatar one, will be even easier to ignore this one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

It gives me big Jetsons meets Blade Runner vibes 

Or that hellscape from the last Judge Dredd

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Or that hellscape from the last Judge Dredd

All I know about Judge Dredd is that there exists something called Judge Dredd, had no idea there were multiple volumes 🤣

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

I think FIFA need to be reminding Saudi that their big Neom project has now been reduced in scope by more than 98% and even that isn't clear it will ever be delivered in a meaningful way. If they're going to give the WC to Saudi, they need to ensure that there are some actual stadia ready for football to be played in rather than grandiose designs in architects' offices and half-built construction works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Shame, it was the best one in my lifetime

Good you enjoyed it. I have zero fomo about stuff like the world cup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, sne said:

Poch to be appointed new US manager. Guessing he'll get a nice pay day considering the home WC in 2026.

Makes the FA look foolish doesn't it? He'd have been ideal for us but I bet the FA didn't even open the conversation. These losers are an embarrassment to the nation.

• Confused 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â