International Football General Chat

villa4europe

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I don’t think the presence of a bunch of Argentinians in town for a semi-final is good barometer for Americans’ relative interest in the Euros and Copa America.  Obviously, the fact that it is being held in the US and our national team was in it would tend to lead to increased awareness and enthusiasm for the Copa, but I haven’t seen any greater interest in it.   I’ve been in New York, New England, DC and California during the course of both tournaments and my admittedly limited sample size has exhibited a greater interest in the Euros.   I just watched the Spain-France match in a nearly empty restaurant/bar and the bartender and another guy were very interested.  The guy had been watching both and said he was very disappointed in the Copa because of all the fouls and rolling around.

You mean, there are other parts of the country besides New York City? 😉😂

• Haha 1

Wasnt just Nunez, other Uruguay players were in the crowd as well. Apparently Colombia fans throwing weapons at Uruguay players families

Looks like Suarez might have tried to bite somebody again 😂

People were claiming he was defending his family but apparently that might be BS. His family were safely on the pitch and Nunez just got hot headed and started fighting, even throwing a chair into the crowd. He's in for one heck of a ban I suspect.

Ironically most of his punches missed by miles, much like his shooting. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A learning experience for the US ahead of the WC. They gonna have to beef up security in the stands and make sure supporters are not mixed like this. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sne said:

The poor cops are out-muscled. I think the police woman in the center of that deserves a special commendation. She's there in the center of the hurricane operating with more arms than an octopus to hold the vile man-children at bay. Very courageous woman. She sort of gets shoved to the side, but rides the waves and comes back to protect people. Impossible.

Nunez picked a very hospitable place to go berserk. His chances of being criminally charged for that in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina will be next to zero.

I was unwillingly in the middle of a brawl at Dodger Stadium in the USA a couple years ago and really disturbed at quickly the crowd got out of control -- and how the security staff were completely unprepared. I agree that some lessons need to be learned quickly. The good thing about sporting events I've been to in the USA is that we're pretty good at keeping weaponry out of the stadia. There are a lot of checks.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

A learning experience for the US ahead of the WC. They gonna have to beef up security in the stands and make sure supporters are not mixed like this. 

I'm always surprised they just don't rent out boxes for players families at these grounds given they're supposed to be the top ones in the country.

That said I was talking to someone Uruguayan on another forum and he was saying can sometimes be 40-50 of players family wanting to see them play! I doubt England players have that many watching them in Germany, seems it's only about 4-5 people for each player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Watching these mugs on C4 in 66 cup final constantly shooting from 25 yards. Don't they know that's a 0.01 xg shot.

Mugs.

I was watching that, where's the press. 😂

First time i have seen the full game. They always rave about football in the past, I thought it looked truely awful.

On 12/07/2024 at 23:54, Brumstopdogs said:

That's why this tournament is there, same as the club world cup next summer, they've got 2 tournaments to **** up before getting the 3rd one right 

I don't think their security and stewards understand what's coming, even after the trouble the other night 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's why this tournament is there, same as the club world cup next summer, they've got 2 tournaments to **** up before getting the 3rd one right 

I don't think their security and stewards understand what's coming, even after the trouble the other night 

Technically it's 3 as the Gold Cup is hosted there at the same time as the Club World Cup. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I was watching that, where's the press. 😂

First time i have seen the full game. They always rave about football in the past, I thought it looked truely awful.

It was abysmal largely. Like tier 6 clubs would play them off the park with their fitness and organisation.

• Like 1

Kick off delayed by half an hour in Miami for the Copa America final because fans couldn't get in and there were fans who were climbing gates to enter the stadium.

It's a bit of a shambles and raises further concerns about the US's ability to host a major football tournament - they need to get an understanding of football culture and the difference in crowd behaviour between US and international crowds really, really quickly. otherwise the result will be chaos, and with the US being what it is, it's only a matter of time before a cop or a security guard starts shooting at that chaos.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â