International Football General Chat

villa4europe

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Huh, that's so weird. In my head they were in Argentina's group in 06. I guess that Yakubu miss must have been 2010.

yeah Argentina played Ivory Coast that year

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 20:50, Johnnyp said:

94,02,06,10,14,18. It’s actually nuts how much they’ve drawn each other. 

Craziness. 85.71% of World Cups I've actively watched during my lifetime.

Edit... 71.42% without 06 is still remarkable.

Edited by Beastmix
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 30/03/2022 at 22:00, Keyblade said:

Huh, that's so weird. In my head they were in Argentina's group in 06. I guess that Yakubu miss must have been 2010.

Well Nigeria and Argentina were definitely in the same group in 2002 because it was England’s group also.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who have Belgium got in world cup group again. 1-4 at home to Holland with Dads army backline, could be the shock early exit of world cup.

Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia

they should go through but they’re at the end of the golden generation era. The defence now looks really weak with vertonghen/alderweireld still there and hazard is basically now done at a top level. They wasted their best generation of players by having a bang average manager in charge (Martinez) 

Tricky group. Plenty worse 4th seeds than Canada and Morocco can take a point off Belgium if they're on it. Croatia in decline aswell probably helps Belgium get through tho.

12 month delay to euros really hurt Belgium I think and now so many of their key players are in their 30s.

Edited by VillaChris

57 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Denmark beating France at Stade de France. Great goal by Cornelius. A few minutes left.

I haven't heard much of him since planet of the apes so good to see he has found another career..😬

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Haha 2

Players really don't want to play this silly tournament do they. Fully get it too. The motivation going into these games must be at an all time low for a lot of them.

Sweden has about 6 defenders missing and new players dropping out of the squad on a daily basis due to little niggles and injuries they were carrying from the season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Players really don't want to play this silly tournament do they. Fully get it too. The motivation going into these games must be at an all time low for a lot of them.

Sweden has about 6 defenders missing and new players dropping out of the squad on a daily basis due to little niggles and injuries they were carrying from the season.

Germany vs England should be interesting 

Previously ze germans properly don't give a **** about this NL, England have let players go on holiday and then come back 

Like you say it will be who is interested the most, expecting Southgate to bore his way to 3 wins this week and the bullshit to start 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Germany vs England should be interesting 

Previously ze germans properly don't give a **** about this NL, England have let players go on holiday and then come back 

Like you say it will be who is interested the most, expecting Southgate to bore his way to 3 wins this week and the bullshit to start 

Wonder what the TV numbers will be. I had no memory of this tournament going to happen this summer up until last week and not one of my football interested buddies cares either.

Might be different in other countries of course but it feels like the Intertoto Cup of nations. If it's on and I have nothing to do I'll likely watch the Sweden games but I won't watch any other games. 

Ref Anthony Taylor and Stuart Attwell (VAR)  making the PL proud by awarding a hilarious penalty to Norway against Sweden

Edited by sne

On 03/06/2022 at 22:13, JPJCB said:

They wasted their best generation of players by having a bang average manager in charge (Martinez)

They finished 3rd place at the World Cup and in both tournaments lost only to the winners. He's also won virtually every qualifying game he's managed.

People forget that only one team can actually win a tournament and teams that dont aren't automatically bottlers or have wasted their talent. Sometimes you just lose to a better side.

You can say Belgium have underachieved if you like but Martinez has done a really good job and saying otherwise is incorrect.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

They finished 3rd place at the World Cup and in both tournaments lost only to the winners. He's also won virtually every qualifying game he's managed.

People forget that only one team can actually win a tournament and teams that dont aren't automatically bottlers or have wasted their talent. Sometimes you just lose to a better side.

You can say Belgium have underachieved if you like but Martinez has done a really good job and saying otherwise is incorrect.

Or lose to a better managed team i.e Italy. There is no way that Italy team were better than England or Belgium for that matter.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There is no way that Italy team were better than England or Belgium for that matter.

Yet they were the better team in both games. This isnt a game of FIFA. It isnt just about how many star players you have. What you're really saying is "England and Belgium have more famous players". Italy were the best team at Euro 2020 which is why they won it. Same with Greece.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â