Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

Hard to tell from the outside this one. Something has happened. I suppose we are free to speculate but if he's not happy here for whatever reason I suppose it's better he plays somewhere. I can't imagine if it's an 18 month loan we aren't getting a fee of some sorts.

I would have preferred this lad as number two than Bunn but I guess he wants to play regularly and doesn't see that happening at Villa. Let's hope we do some serious scouting to bring a decent keeper (or 2?) into the club in the summer.

58 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Good luck to the lad - had the makings of a decent keeper and far better back up than bunn in my opinion .

Forget the fee paid , and the other clubs linked to him. What did you actually see  in his time here that make you think he had the "makings of a decent keeper ?" 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Some have talked about his 'obvious talent', not obvious at all to me. At best he looked competent, but let in far too many soft goals and committed some very poor errors. He just wasn't reliable.Bad signing. 

To me he has all the physical attributes but lacked the decision-making.  The latter comes with experience, especially for a goalkeeper.  Hopefully he can fill out and gain the nouse and come back because I certainly haven't written him off yet.  Although I appreciate that once a manager sends someone out on loan in such a manner, statistically it's unlikely that he'll ever come back and regain his place full time.  So it's probably the beginning of the end for Gollini here.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Forget the fee paid , and the other clubs linked to him. What did you actually see  in his time here that make you think he had the "makings of a decent keeper ?" 

i thought he was decent at coming off his line and smothering attackers but strangely not very good at coming off his line to help his defenders but that can be learnt, i think he had a strong head, he made some mistakes and then carried on, he didnt have a guzanesque heads gone 2 year slump, there were a few mistakes but i thought there was definitely something there if we were willing to be patient with his age which is part of the 2 things i dont understand, we've replaced him with another young keeper who will probably make some similar mistakes at some point, the other thing i dont understand is the 18 month part, means we need another keeper next season

got to be either more to this or more to the johnstone deal

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

To me he has all the physical attributes but lacked the decision-making.  The latter comes with experience, especially for a goalkeeper.  Hopefully he can fill out and gain the nouse and come back because I certainly haven't written him off yet.  Although I appreciate that once a manager sends someone out on loan in such a manner, statistically it's unlikely that he'll ever come back and regain his place full time.  So it's probably the beginning of the end for Gollini here.

Well Bruce comments on the loan seem to spell the end for him. - something like:-

"The truth is he is very young - we will keep an eye on his development at Atlanta" 

The problem with him 'learning' or becoming better with 'age\experience' - is that we could say that about any young keeper - even our own Jed Steer.

Its a bit like going for an an interview and saying "'no i don't  know, c++ , but I am willing to learn" 

The response maybe not aloud would be "very good be we don't want a trainee" - Same with the Villa keeper really, we don't want someone learning on the job.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well Bruce comments on the loan seem to spell the end for him. - something like:-

"The truth is he is very young - we will keep an eye on his development at Atlanta" 

The problem with him 'learning' or becoming better with 'age\experience' - is that we could say that about any young keeper - even our own Jed Steer.

Its a bit like going for an an interview and saying "'no i don't  know, c++ , but I am willing to learn" 

The response maybe not aloud would be "very good be we don't want a trainee" - Same with the Villa keeper really, we don't want someone learning on the job.

I agree that we don't want someone learning on the job at VP.  After all, we want to go up.  But whereas I want him to learn somewhere else and come back, some don't think he'll ever get to that level.  I think that's where both camps disagree.  I saw enough to think that his ceiling is very high.  Much higher than Steer for example.  But that's all subjective.  I don't expect him back now really and I think that's a shame.  I don't think we'll live to regret it because I'm sure Bruce will find someone plenty good enough for us, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Gollini in goal for a traditional top Italian side at some point in the not-too-distant future.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree that we don't want someone learning on the job at VP.  After all, we want to go up.  But whereas I want him to learn somewhere else and come back, some don't think he'll ever get to that level.  I think that's where both camps disagree.  I saw enough to think that his ceiling is very high.  Much higher than Steer for example.  But that's all subjective.  I don't expect him back now really and I think that's a shame.  I don't think we'll live to regret it because I'm sure Bruce will find someone plenty good enough for us, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Gollini in goal for a traditional top Italian side at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I think if Bruce had seen that high ceiling, there's no way he would be shipping him out on an 18 month loan. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Fair enough but should johnstoNe suffer a bad injury I'd rather gollini than bunn as cover . 

I might have missed something, but do we not still have Jed Steer and that Sarkic lad on our books?

Definetly got the potential to be a good keeper. 

I didn't think he was that bad at all tbh, tho that said I've not seen our new keepers performance and he got high praise so if we have improved then that's the good thing out of this

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I might have missed something, but do we not still have Jed Steer and that Sarkic lad on our books?

Steer was injured back in October/November time and out for the season IIRC. Sarkic I think is still on the books in case but its one of those positions I would like good cover for. Johnstone has been brought in for the number 1 role and Bunn back up. Can't see Bruce bringing in someone else. If so they would need to be an improvement on Johnstone otherwise what was the point? 

Clear that Gollini wasn't settled; hence the move. He is still young, particularly for a Goalkeeper. In hindsight would have probably helped having good experience GK as number 1 but wanted him to do well. An 18 month loan gives him the opportunity to play and develop whilst at the same time we can get the benefit if he does well. Seems to be a win-win in that sense so OK with it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Bruce doesn't rate this guy at all does he? As soon as someone expressed interest he shipped him off :lol:

His comments on the Beeb seem fair enough:

Bruce added: "It's fair to say that once I'd left him out and I'd brought in another keeper, what was the next step for Pier?

"It was a little bit too early at this stage of his career to come to Villa. He still needs to learn his trade. It's a good thing he's out there playing again. Ideally it would have been in this country, but we still own him and we'll keep monitoring his progress."

Dat link: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38611433

• Like 4

Another RDM **** up.

A 3 minute youtube video managed to show all of his flaws. Quite why we want into one of our most important seasons in history, one that could define us possibly for the next decade ( do or die) with a rookie GK is staggering. 

He looks talented, he should be able to iron out his problems. At worst we should make our money back and at best a profit...but are we really in the position right now to have another £5m worth of player out on loan?

Abysmal RDM. Abysmal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

His comments on the Beeb seem fair enough:

Bruce added: "It's fair to say that once I'd left him out and I'd brought in another keeper, what was the next step for Pier?

"It was a little bit too early at this stage of his career to come to Villa. He still needs to learn his trade. It's a good thing he's out there playing again. Ideally it would have been in this country, but we still own him and we'll keep monitoring his progress."

Dat link: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38611433

Can't say fairer than that, and if we really do monitor his progress and if we have not closed the book on him then that's precisely the kind of way I'd like my club to be managing its assets :thumb:

• Like 4

I think Bruce is spot on. It was too early for him to come over here as he is still very rough round the edges.

I do feel for him as the raw basics are clearly there and he has a lot of potential. His confidence has been dented though and in his latter appearances he started to look hesitant. It will have an effect on any keeper making a handful of errors especially late in games that cost you points and especially with him being so young and inexperienced.

He needs games to rebuild that confidence so him going out on loan is no bad thing and if he does develop then we can bring him back.

Â