Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Whilst the owner undoubtedly gets lots of credit for the backing he has provided, and rightly so, RDM must also get an awful lot of credit for the way he has utilised that backing. Almost every problem we had within the squad has been rectified, he has built a very capable squad full of leaders which can only be a good thing moving forward.  

Only time will tell whether or not he can now guide that squad to promotion, whatever happens we are in much, much better shape than we was last season and RDM deserves huge credit. 

37 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Now's the time to get behind the team and be positive, we're not going to win every game in this league regardless of how much money we spent. We've got rid of the majority of the neg heads in the squad, it's now time for the fans to play their part. The new players deserve our backing even when things don't go well. We need to rebuild our reputation as the 12th man, not get on their backs straight away. It's going to be hard for some people, 6 years of disappointment and crap football has taken its toll. But that's not the fault of the new players. Let's back them, properly, until the end of the season and make Villa Park a fortress again. 

100% this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villan_007 said:

He isn't right for the players he's signed himself?

Since almost all managers depart jobs having been sacked despite signing players every window, I would say 99% of clubs conclude that 99% of managers are the wrong people to manage players they have bought. 

Many posters have already suggested about IF RDM doesnt get us going now within the next 10-15 games, playoffs by Xmas, top2 finish, that he deserves the sack.

I'm 100% behind him now and really hope for the best.

But!

IF he would go, it would be either before Jan Window or at the last chance run-in for someone to come in and make it all click.

So who could that be?

Surely the only "Promotionist" available would be Steve Bruce.

I'm really not sure about that.

Anyone have an idea?

Was just musing to someone earlier that RDM's reputation is probably riding on this season. He's been given all the tools he could have wanted by the owner to mount a promotion charge, and falling short of that can really damage his already somewhat shaky reputation. He's under a lot of pressure, and I think he knew he would be from the start. Hopefully it all clicks for him as I really like him.

• Like 3

We should, on paper, piss this league and I still think we will btw, but the real test and the benchmark for RDM will be keeping us up, can't see him being moved on this season (barring a calamitous run of results of course).

Next 5 games are all winnable, 15 points and our season is well and truly going!

On 9/1/2016 at 07:17, av1 said:

Whilst the owner undoubtedly gets lots of credit for the backing he has provided, and rightly so, RDM must also get an awful lot of credit for the way he has utilised that backing. Almost every problem we had within the squad has been rectified, he has built a very capable squad full of leaders which can only be a good thing moving forward.  

Only time will tell whether or not he can now guide that squad to promotion, whatever happens we are in much, much better shape than we was last season and RDM deserves huge credit. 

Flipping heck, I must have slept through our first few games with the new players in place. I'm pleased RDM managed to mould them into a team and gets some wins on the board, fantastic news!

• Like 1

On 01/09/2016 at 01:48, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Whilst I agree that come the end of the season, assuming we don't have some rotten luck with injuries, we should be in the mix, at the same time we need to be patient. 

It doesn't matter how much it has cost to assemble the team, they do still need time to gel, to learn the managers philosophy and evolve together. Let's wait a couple of months at least before we bring out the knives if things don't go so well at the beginning. 

With that said, over to you Roberto. 

I agree with everything you say, but with regards to the masses and the part in bold all I can 'say' is

giphy.gif

;):P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure I understand the point/message of that gif? :wacko:

I'm tongue-in-cheek saying "yeah good luck with that" if he thinks many Villa fans will wait a couple of months before moaning if results don't go our way :)  This is the same fan-base who booed at half time of our first pre-season friendly.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

I'm tongue-in-cheek saying "yeah good luck with that" if he thinks many Villa fans will wait a couple of months before moaning if results don't go our way :)  This is the same fan-base who booed at half time of our first pre-season friendly.

We're an odd bunch, because as you say people will turn on RDM on the hour mark if we're not winning against Forest... but then on the other hand, off the back of being shite pretty much all season so far we're now going to 'piss this league' with our signings from Bristol City, Fulham and Leicester reserves...

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We're an odd bunch, because as you say people will turn on RDM on the hour mark if we're not winning against Forest... but then on the other hand, off the back of being shite pretty much all season so far we're now going to 'piss this league' with our signings from Bristol City, Fulham and Leicester reserves...

Yep.  Obviously it'll usually be different people doing both of the above, but yes as a bunch we're odd.  Although I'd say plenty of clubs probably have their share of polarised/impatient fans :) Then when you factor in the Brummie ;):P  poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Was just musing to someone earlier that RDM's reputation is probably riding on this season. He's been given all the tools he could have wanted by the owner to mount a promotion charge, and falling short of that can really damage his already somewhat shaky reputation. He's under a lot of pressure, and I think he knew he would be from the start. Hopefully it all clicks for him as I really like him.

I'm on RDM side too. He seems very level headed and complements the Xia dynasty so far. 

I think so long as we're there or thereabouts by the end of the season, with no calamitious runs in between, he's got 2 seasons at getting us back up. I think that's reasonable given the investment and change which has unfolded at the club over the last 3 months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think RDM is under a lot of pressure now to get this all to click and rightly so. If you spend 60+ mill at this level added to the likes of Ayew, Amavi, Grealish, Gestede, Westwood etc and come the end of the season find yourself outside the top 6 then you have either failed miserably to gel the squad or you have purchased the wrong players and pissed a fortune, for this level, up the wall.

For what it is worth I think he has done well in the players he has purchased. It is the second part in terms of getting them to gel that he now has to get right. The beauty of the championship is that you get more games to do it and despite a relatively poor start, in terms of results if not performances, we still have 41 games to go.

He has to make top 6 this season at least. I’d imagine for Dr Xia though to retain his job he will have to gain promotion.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

We need to kick on now.  10pts from September would be a reasonable return and will hopefully start to close the gap to the top.  By end of October I'd expect to be up and challenging.  Let's see consistent 90 minute performances and the results should follow.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I've yet to miss a game yet and I can confidently say we've been far from shite. We were shite for 45 minutes against Bristol. We were average for 45 vs Wednesday and Huddersfield but defended reasonably well. If we had 7/8 points instead of 5 the view would be very different, such is the sample size we are dealing with. 

I don't think anybody thinks we're going to piss the league, but there are many who think 10th would be unacceptable. The table after 5 games is, IMO, completely irrelevant. 

He's got things to work on has our Robbie, in my opinion he has the foundations. A side that CAN blow teams away. He's got leaders in the dressing room. He's got a few attacking options now too. Plus a January window to come. 

No excuse.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â