Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

6 hours ago, Dave J said:

Excuse me- sorry am I missing something? I am a Nigel Pearson fan and wanted him at the club- I think the point that I was trying to make is that you can't make comparisons in football- different things happen on different days- just because Derby have not yet set the world alight, this does not automatically mean Pearson could not have taken us to the top of the league- it's all subjective isn't it?

but you're judging Di Matteo by the same yard stick you say it's unfair to judge Pearson by, surely?

edit; apologies, I thought you had made the original post about Pearson.

I do agree with that, but it should be extended to Di Matteo as well. Just because we haven't set the world alight yet, doesn't mean we won't do really well this season. I think given the circus the club was prior to his arrival he deserves more time than most, and it's unfair of the original poster to compare him to Pearson by suggesting he would have done a better job so far.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

but you're judging Di Matteo by the same yard stick you say it's unfair to judge Pearson by, surely?

edit; apologies, I thought you had made the original post about Pearson.

I do agree with that, but it should be extended to Di Matteo as well. Just because we haven't set the world alight yet, doesn't mean we won't do really well this season. I think given the circus the club was prior to his arrival he deserves more time than most, and it's unfair of the original poster to compare him to Pearson by suggesting he would have done a better job so far.

Totally agree- I happen to believe with a good wind behind us both ourselves and Derby can at least make the play offs

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Good post. I cannot for the life of me understand why the fans would get on the players backs this early on in the season and whilst we are in a rebuilding process.

Lets build a bit of perspective in here....because you are right, we are work in progress.

but,

We are talking about being in front and capitulating, on more than one occasion......not getting beat in a nose to nose......total surrender.

after spending the best part of c£100 mill in 12 months

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lets build a bit of perspective in here....because you are right, we are work in progress.

but,

We are talking about being in front and capitulating.....not getting beat in a nose to nose......total surrender.

What we've spent in the last 12 months is utterly irrelevant though, what we've spent in the current window is relevant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

What we've spent in the last 12 months is utterly irrelevant though, what we've spent in the current window is relevant.

Its only relevant with the players that we signed 12 months ago who are still with us. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

but,

We are talking about being in front and capitulating.....not getting beat in a nose to nose......total surrender.

but two of the starters on saturday had never even suited up for villa before... amavi still coming back from a horrible injury, chester still very new, tshibola with a knock, and everyone still reeling from the bad start, so the pressure gets turned up, and i hate that. they need time to gel, end of....the bristol city result gets a big fat mulligan from me, the transfer window is still open, and we are clearly still active in it. imagine if we not only got relegated, but that lerner was still owner. the horror. 

lets enjoy all the ups and downs, villa will be back in the premier league sooner than later. 

Edited by maqroll

7 hours ago, TRO said:

but,

Do you think that our weakness stems from the comfort factor our players find themselves in at the club? I mean, all the top class facilities we have at Bodymoor Heath and Villa Park. Maybe they're just too spoilt? Got to be something wrong at the club when management and players change yet the walk over factor seems to remain. 

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Do you think that our weakness stems from the comfort factor our players find themselves in at the club? I mean, all the top class facilities we have at Bodymoor Heath and Villa Park. Maybe they're just too spoilt? Got to be something wrong at the club when management and players change yet the walk over factor seems to remain. 

Its funny you say that, because that has been nagging at me for sometime.....I wish i actually knew the answer, so i can only speculate.

It just seems strange that since we had that "gin palace" of a training ground, the results have gone south.Seems like they have forgotten the "hard nose"part of the business.

something is clearly wrong.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

TBF though Bristol City was probably our poorest performance of the season thus far in league, we have looked good in the other games. Its just we need to be able to not drop our heads when we go behind. 

NO, certain parts of our game have looked good , the other parts that we are bitching about are turgid.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No its not utterly irrelevant it has a major impact on the club....irrespective of who is to blame.

Lets just hope the second round of £50 mill turns us around....The relevant bit.

I have never by the way been an advocate that money alone buys success, unless you are at the very top and can attract the best managers who subsequently just assemble the best players known to all.

It just seems a hefty sum to not be able to implement the basics of the game.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No its not utterly irrelevant it has a major impact on the club....irrespective of who is to blame.

Lets just hope the second round of £50 mill turns us around....The relevant bit.

I have never by the way been an advocate that money alone buys success, unless you are at the very top and can attract the best managers who subsequently just assemble the best players known to all.

It just seems a hefty sum to not be able to implement the basics of the game.

Maybe I'm missing something here, I've not read all the thread but given this is a thread about the manager I'm assuming that is the topic at hand? If not I stand to be corrected and confused but anyway...

If we are talking about assessing the job that RDM is doing and does then to me the money spent prior to his arrival is irrelevant. He didn't spend it, he didn't pick the players and the players almost without exception were a disaster. If he is able to improve any of them or get anything out of them then its a bonus but I certainly won't judge him on not being able to do so.

We can only judge RDM on the players we sign in this window and moving forward under his management and upon the job he does with those players and the others at his disposal. That is why in my view the money spent prior to him arriving isn't relevant. 

On 8/22/2016 at 23:39, Keener window-cleaner said:

Before the appointment of RDM I wanted us to get Pearson instead, but then during the Derby game when saw the both of them in the dugouts it struck me that I was glad that Dr Tony went to Rome in a Ford Mondeo and brought us back RDM, and not Pearson.

It seems as if RDM does everything right at the moment. Hats off to Dr Tony as well as I got the impression that RDM was his personal choice.

I think it is really important, that the relationship between owner and manager is as good as it can be and I think it is......I am also pleased that from our point of view, so far, it looks a good choice too.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, I've not read all the thread but given this is a thread about the manager I'm assuming that is the topic at hand? If not I stand to be corrected and confused but anyway...

If we are talking about assessing the job that RDM is doing and does then to me the money spent prior to his arrival is irrelevant. He didn't spend it, he didn't pick the players and the players almost without exception were a disaster. If he is able to improve any of them or get anything out of them then its a bonus but I certainly won't judge him on not being able to do so.

We can only judge RDM on the players we sign in this window and moving forward under his management and upon the job he does with those players and the others at his disposal. That is why in my view the money spent prior to him arriving isn't relevant. 

My apologies, I was talking about the club as opposed to RDM....yes I did drift off topic, thats probably caused the confusion.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it is really important, that the relationship between owner and manager is as good as it can be and I think it is......I am also pleased that from our point of view, so far, it looks a good choice too.

1 win 6 looks good ?  - I suppose Remi Garde would kill for those stats. Big job, early days, etc. Like the players he has brought. but don't like the results ...ergo not looking good at this moment in time.

Edited by hippo

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No worries mate and that explains why we were at cross purposes. :)

I have just slapped my hand, I can tend to drift sometimes.I need to be more disciplined on here.....see your point now.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â