Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

On 12/10/2024 at 13:21, MrBlack said:

The walkway under the track was part of the new north stand and villa live plans, although that part of it was always subject to a joint up plan with the council and railway companies.

They all got put on hold (read: canned) when Heck and co decided that we needed more money now rather than even more money in the future.

Another of the issues that is ultimately caused by PSR, and its ilk, that prioritises short term (poor and limited) accounting over medium to long term financial planning.  NS has repeatedly stated that the way they are having to run things is NOT the way that he / the club wants to run things but they are being forced to operate in a specific way by the current (and incoming) financial regulations. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allani said:

Another of the issues that is ultimately caused by PSR, and its ilk, that prioritises short term (poor and limited) accounting over medium to long term financial planning.  NS has repeatedly stated that the way they are having to run things is NOT the way that he / the club wants to run things but they are being forced to operate in a specific way by the current (and incoming) financial regulations. 

Yup. I didn't give an opinion in my first post but you have to say it was probably the right call from them given the current farcical rules. We'd have probably had to sell Martinez or Luiz  or someone else the season before if we'd gone ahead with the redevelopment.

Given how close we were to the line, and how much money we ended up making from the increased prices in the north stand,  we'd have been a long way short of the PSR line.

The current and incoming rules are a joke. Without them i'm sure we'd have a new stand that guarantees Villa Park remains a thing, and set us up for the future.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2024 at 15:51, VillaChris said:

Ah right it was in the North Stand plans. I thought it was part of the new Academy.

Reality is with Euro 2028 they'll be no stadium redevelopment until summer 2029 at the earliest. If we asked to pull out as host then that will indicate a change of plans but can't help feeling that holding off expansion for at least another five years is going to be restrictive in the long term. By 2029 our capacity will probably be bottom half in premier league and I dread to think what the matchday and season ticket prices will be in another five seasons.

I am fairly confident we will be having exactly the same arguments in ten years time either with the same ownership or new people. This was the big chance of development and for a variety of reasons it was canned. It is coming up to a quarter of a century since major work was carried out at Villa Park  and most of our rivals have either significantly rebuilt or moved since then. And we are still farting about when we have the land and a willing council to approve anything we have proposed but not progressed with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think the tunnel was actually submitted for planning permission with either set of plans (the Academy or the North Stand) the club don't own it. It's been in conversations that the club has had with it's owners, the rail authorities, and might therefore still be on the table as part of the conversations around the redevelopment of Witton Station, I hope so, a link to that facility would be great for the club and add something in terms of spaces for matchday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Yup. I didn't give an opinion in my first post but you have to say it was probably the right call from them given the current farcical rules. We'd have probably had to sell Martinez or Luiz  or someone else the season before if we'd gone ahead with the redevelopment.

Given how close we were to the line, and how much money we ended up making from the increased prices in the north stand,  we'd have been a long way short of the PSR line.

The current and incoming rules are a joke. Without them i'm sure we'd have a new stand that guarantees Villa Park remains a thing, and set us up for the future.

100% agree with this.  It is important to keep re-iterating though that the key issue here are the current / incoming rules that are preventing NSWE from spending what they would like to both on and off the pitch.  I maybe misread your initial post when you said something like "when Heck decided he needed more money now rather than more money in the future" (apologies is misquoting) as I don't think that Heck is the enemy here.  PSR is and part of Heck's job is to make sure we pass PSR and the like in order to make sure we don't get points deducted or suspended from UEFA competitions. 

That isn't to say that I don't think he's made a few errors on the ways (disabled parking being a standout one) but at the same time we're trying to do in the space of about 18 months what the teams around us have been doing for the last 18 years and more and with more restrictions in place than many of the others had.

Like you say - I think we'd have done more (under both Purslow and Heck) without these ridiculous rules that turn the focus away from building a successful and sustainable future and force everything to be about "now".  In what other business would a company gain the most "success" by selling their trainees and apprentices once they have trained them up to the level of being very good at their job?  The whole thing is a very bad joke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

New seats= raise is prices.  The Heck model.  🤣

The front 3-4 rows are genuinely some of the best in the whole ground for watching the game so in terms of premium view it would qualify but then you've still got the ridiculously narrow concourse in the Witton upper to negotiate to get there.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Zimmerframe seats for the old people stands/seats rather than rail seats 😂

I'll tell you this. 

My knees are not what they used to be and I really appreciate the Lower Holte rail seating so I can grip the rail to help myself out of the seat once I've sat down😳😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â