Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

36 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Just imagine that; plans made for years, 10s of thousands £££ spent, a promise to the fans, massive marketing campaign, and all of a sudden the manager comes in and say 'Scrap all that, I have a feeling (no guarantees!) that we will score a few extra goals with the old shitty stand'' and all of a sudden NSWE say 'Hell yeah, he is a competent football manager, let's cancel this infrastructure project on his say so!'

Indeed it surely cannot be true. Emery has power but surely not enough to cancel a major infrastructure decision.

My opinion? Costs increased. They didn't like the payback time of it so it's been cancelled.

On 12/09/2024 at 09:40, villan-scott said:

Well this is… interesting. Sure it’ll add to the atmosphere even if not the most aesthetically pleasing! 

IMG-0336.jpg[/url]
IMG-0335.jpg

It's like those temporary classrooms that a lot of schools like to use.

Hopefully, unlike temporary classrooms, that thing won't stick around for 20 years.

Edited by wishywashy

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Indeed it surely cannot be true. Emery has power but surely not enough to cancel a major infrastructure decision.

My opinion? Costs increased. They didn't like the payback time of it so it's been cancelled.

If that is the case that is a very short-sighted approach and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they would be in for the long haul.  Prices areb't magically going to go down are they. All of our rivals either have better stadia already and or looking to expand/rebuild.  All premier league clubs are due for another sack of money with the next tv deals comes in next year as well. If we don't want to expand when we are the 4th best team in the country with a approved planning permission and a massive season ticket waiting list then would will be the right time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If that is the case that is a very short-sighted approach and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they would be in for the long haul.  Prices areb't magically going to go down are they. All of our rivals either have better stadia already and or looking to expand/rebuild.  All premier league clubs are due for another sack of money with the next tv deals comes in next year as well. If we don't want to expand when we are the 4th best team in the country with a approved planning permission and a massive season ticket waiting list then would will be the right time.

I said this before, to me it looks like an operation of 'increase the club value as much as we can in the shortest time period'.

Then they can sell for massive profit and let the next person worry about 'infrastructure'. 

My personal long term bet is NSWE are out in 5 years time, new stadium is announced 7-8 years down the line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Tom Collomosse in the Daily Heil seems to be suggesting it was Emery and his advisors who canned the North Stand plans...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13844747/Aston-Villa-stadium-upgrade-scrapped.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=social-twitter_dailymailsport

Edit: I want it be known I do not pay for the Daily Mail, or indeed read anything it has to say, Villa related articles are the only exception and even then I feel like taking a shower...

I wouldn't think that's the case, simply because the club worked very hard to separate the on-field and off-field sides of the business and this would have been an off-field decision. It would have been the equivalent of Purslow's efforts to get involved in football decisions and unlikely given that the club had very recently drawn very clear lines about who did what just prior to the decision to cancel the stand.

I wonder if Tom is reaching or helping.

• Like 2

Holy conspiracy theory batman.

People losing their swedes at all this way too much. 
Its a temporary structure to help us see player arrivals as we hit champions league footy.

The warehouse will be built 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As a temporary structure, it's quite nice, I got to see it the night before last and while it was unfinished, the bar taps were in and you could definitely get an idea of the space it will be. I've worked in similar structures at golf events and while they are temporary and can look a little flimsy from the outside, they're comfortable and deceptively roomy on the inside. With the loss of the Holte Suite and the demand for more space for people to gather pre-match, I think it's a welcome addition. 

Does it have working toilets?

If so, you could say its better than the actual stadium!

I can't remember where I saw it but Emery definitely opined on the fact that he would prefer villa to be playing in Europe in front of a full stadium. 

The fact he's constantly banging on about the fans tells me his preference would have been for us to keep the stand in tact during a campaign of football that gave him a chance to build on his European football legacy and a better chance of success. 

That said, I don't expect he had the final say on the matter and there won't have been only one reason why it was cancelled.

I disagree that it was the right decision at the time, but in hindsight maybe it has proved that it was. We couldn't be filling the stand with GA+ to meet our revenue targets. We couldn't have put adidas logo in the seats to increase our adidas sponsorship deal. We couldn't have seen a reasonable number of people attend our first season in the champions league current.

Ideally, we'd be able to start next season instead, but the Euros have killed any hope of that unless we were to drop out (and lose even more revenue).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't think that's the case, simply because the club worked very hard to separate the on-field and off-field sides of the business and this would have been an off-field decision. It would have been the equivalent of Purslow's efforts to get involved in football decisions and unlikely given that the club had very recently drawn very clear lines about who did what just prior to the decision to cancel the stand.

I wonder if Tom is reaching or helping.

I don't particularly believe it, but thought it might produce some good discussion on here, and though I don't like The Daily Mail, Tom is usually pretty decent so I was surprised to see it in one of his columns.

Like you say it would be strange to allow the footballing side to overreach after just allowing the opposite to disasterous effect. The thing is, getting Emery on board was quite a big thing, getting one of the best managers in world football whilst at the time being a relegation candidate raised a few eyebrows, and we don't really know exactly what he was promised or how far exactly his control reaches. I don't think he's made this particular decision and overruled everyone else, but he may have been part of the discussion, suggesting his preference of a full stadium and a slightly bigger budget to work with in the short term might of had some impact potentially?

Personally I think the decsion was based more on finances than football, but I also think it was a decsion probably made by more than one person, and due to numerous factors rather than just one or two.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Hopefully, unlike temporary classrooms, that thing won't stick around for 20 years.

it's probably not expected to....maybe it's aimed at being a temporary trade off, to what was a major project cancellation.

I think 10/10 for at least trying to appease us and at the same time generate revenue.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I believe it has toilets.

piped in to St Andrews.....according to the song.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, wishywashy said:

I was curious about the temporary classrooms at my old junior school so the other day I looked them up on Google Maps Satellite view.  They are still there. I am 54 now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 13/09/2024 at 12:32, Mic09 said:

I said this before, to me it looks like an operation of 'increase the club value as much as we can in the shortest time period'.

Then they can sell for massive profit and let the next person worry about 'infrastructure'. 

My personal long term bet is NSWE are out in 5 years time, new stadium is announced 7-8 years down the line. 

My hope is that, if Heck is successful in significantly increasing revenue in the next 2-3 years, and we can establish ourselves consistently at the top table on the pitch as well,  then the owners might feel they are in a position to replace the stand.  If those two things happen, the loss of matchday revenue would be a much smaller % of total revenue and the more experienced team should be les reliant on a full stadium to see them through tough games.      

It took about 10 months from demolition of the old Trinity for the new stand to be fully opened in January 2001. It took something like 7 months from demolition of the old Holte End terrace  to the new Holte being fully open for Christmas 1994.

I would like to think smarter people than we can even imagine could come up with a way of doing the North redevelopment without having to lose that end for 2 years. This was always a problematic aspect of the project as unveiled. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It took about 10 months from demolition of the old Trinity for the new stand to be fully opened in January 2001. It took something like 7 months from demolition of the old Holte End terrace  to the new Holte being fully open for Christmas 1994.

I would like to think smarter people than we can even imagine could come up with a way of doing the North redevelopment without having to lose that end for 2 years. This was always a problematic aspect of the project as unveiled. 

Let me introduce you to modern project management, construction regulation, health and safety, and other party killers that will likely make it a 3 year job. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â