Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Would this form part of the general kit deal or be a seperate sponsorship thing? Is it to be renamed The Adidas stand? 

It's a very permanent change to make if we change our kit supplier to someone else when this deal expires. 

I doubt it. A lot of clubs have the kit manufacturer logo in the stands. 

Old Trafford, Emirates, nou Camp off the top of my head. The stands aren't renamed

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

Would this form part of the general kit deal or be a seperate sponsorship thing? Is it to be renamed The Adidas stand? 

It's a very permanent change to make if we change our kit supplier to someone else when this deal expires. 

Seats aren't that expensive to replace

Only to sit in

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2024 at 17:55, OutByEaster? said:

I don't recall the Ellis plans, I remember the Lerner ones, but those involved a demolition.

This thing has survived more assassination attempts than Castro.

You can find them on the Birmingham City Council planning pages if you use the postcode B6 6HE to search. There’s an application to renew a previous permission in around 2005 & it has lots of technical drawings and models. The plan was to build around the existing North Stand structure to make it look like the Holte. Capacity would have got to about 48,000

1 hour ago, andycv said:

You can find them on the Birmingham City Council planning pages if you use the postcode B6 6HE to search. There’s an application to renew a previous permission in around 2005 & it has lots of technical drawings and models. The plan was to build around the existing North Stand structure to make it look like the Holte. Capacity would have got to about 48,000

Is it the set of plans that this model is based on? I thought those were Lerners - Doug wouldn't pay for coffee in 2005.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 14.13.18.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it the set of plans that this model is based on? I thought those were Lerners - Doug wouldn't pay for coffee in 2005.

They were definitely Doug's. That model was in a video from about 1999.

Lerner's plans looked more like Old Trafford!

Edit, found the video: 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The original planning application was going to be renewed but the renewal application was withdrawn I think.

11 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

The original planning application was going to be renewed but the renewal application was withdrawn I think

Understood - not sure why I always thought those were Lerner's plans - thank you!

It looks like Doug submitted the outline planning for the extension when he did the Trinity Road Stand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Edit, found the video: 

Mark Ansell. He got me into a nightclub for free once. Can't remember it's name, it's where Opheem now is. It had just opened and they were obviously trying to court the Villa connection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Understood - not sure why I always thought those were Lerner's plans - thank you!

It looks like Doug submitted the outline planning for the extension when he did the Trinity Road Stand.

Yes. I have the programme for the Derby  home game in 2000 in which the  Trinity plans were outlined. This included some absolute screamers saying that the Trinity development will be done  so Villa would ' hope to replicate it as far as possible in the stand which replace it, so as to be sympathetic to the existing feel of the stand and its history'.... 'It is intended that the mosaic inset on the wall on the northern end of the current stand will be incorporated into the new stand, along with the Villa crest  which fronts the present structure'....  'Villa have the opportunity of increasing it (capacity) by  further eight thousand, through developing behind the North Stand and around the corner from the North Stand to its Trinity counterpart'.... that work could theoretically proceed from March 2001 onwards.... if it all goes well the stadium will have grown to the target capacity of 51,000 within three years'.

So it isn't just Heck who has been bullshiting us for this entire century on stadium development

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Tbf to Lerner he did a hell of a lot of good in and around Villa park and the support even under the Judas  wasn’t there to justify a huge expansion - then his divorce, citeh state buy out ,  loss of interest and then form made it a non starter. I get the point though 

Attendances were great in 07-08, 08-09, 09-10 and then declined to 37k under ahoulliet before falling off a cliff when McLeish was hired in 2011!

10 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Attendances were great in 07-08, 08-09, 09-10 and then declined to 37k under ahoulliet before falling off a cliff when McLeish was hired in 2011!

Great when we were winning then not so good when it soured proving my point that it didn’t justify a huge expansion project at that time as the support wasn’t there. Never struggled to get tickets anytime during the Lerner early years under O’neil 

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Edit, found the video: 

I've always thought the Lerner era designs looked like Villa park should. Red brick, staircases and mosaics.

Wrap arounds were 2 out of 3 options and the stand alone far cheaper in construction cost, but from promising early designs, I think the mythical completed stand would have been great.

Apologies if the photos are a bit blurry.

Screenshot_20211130-232107~2_114648.png

• Like 2

Â