Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

In the last few years:

Man City - Expanded stadium - stage 1 complete, stage 2 starting soon.

Liverpool - Expanded stadium - stage 1 complete, stage 2 starting soon.

West Ham - New stadium 2016

Spurs - New stadium 2019

Everton - New stadium almost finished

Fulham - New stand just finished.

Crystal Palace - land bought, expanding stadium.

Bournemouth - New stadium being built.

Brentford - Moved to new stadium in 2020.

Nottingham Forest - major expansion starting soon.

Leicester - stadium expansion approved, work starts soon.

Newcastle - Looking at new stadium or expansion.

Chelsea - Looking at new stadium or expansion.

Man Utd - Looking at new stadium.

Actually it's easier to say which Premier League clubs are NOT planning expanding their grounds or moving to a new stadium (or already done so):

Aston Villa, Wolves. Ipswich, Southampton, Brighton.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

In the last few years:

Spurs - New stadium 2019

Actually it's easier to say which Premier League clubs are NOT planning expanding their grounds or moving to a new stadium (or already done so):

That's a bit harsh, I dont think Chelsea or utd are in a different boat to us, not a clue about Newcastle

Radcliffe will make a lot of noise about utd but the proof will be in the pudding, all he's seemingly done so far is asked for a handout 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's a bit harsh, I dont think Chelsea or utd are in a different boat to us, not a clue about Newcastle

Radcliffe will make a lot of noise about utd but the proof will be in the pudding, all he's seemingly done so far is asked for a handout 

You could say we made a lot of noise, got euro 28, and then bottled it utterly. I wonder what we look like on the outside. 

13 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

You could say we made a lot of noise, got euro 28, and then bottled it utterly. I wonder what we look like on the outside. 

We aren't headline news for having a waterfall in our stadium 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

In the last few years:

Spurs - New stadium 2019

As far as I can see Man Utd, Chelsea and Newcastle are no different to us with the first two being miles away from actually getting anything done. 

Leicester City have done exactly the same as us in that they have gained planning permission but have not indicated (as far as I can see) a definitive start date for any construction work. In fact, their website still has an estimated completion date of 2024 published, which is quite embarrassing really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

There is a way to engineer everything. There will be a solution that allows for the NS pillars to be taken out and replaced with something else.

I don't know what that is. But it's a matter of cost vs reward, nothing else. Maybe we can build some sort of an outside frame to support the stand while making it bigger. Who knows. But it's certainly possible.  

image.webp.4c8665a69e45169ddbb20321ab679eba.webp

Get these pair to hold it up

12 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I don't think UEFA would be very happy about it.  Deep down I wouldn't be surprised if the club wouldn't be that devastated about losing out on hosting games.

I'd like to ask Heck how long he thinks the North Stand will be fit for purpose.  It looks like it's going to be at least another decade with it.  I suspect he would just think it's not his problem.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure they would have considered that when coming up with the original plan.

What I DO know is working around existing structures is a difficult and expensive game. Construction companies much prefer to flatten and start again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DaoDeMings said:

It is intriguing what their plans are if it really can't be extended, considering they insist we're still on for the 50k capacity or whatever required for Euro '28

Our participation in the Euros isn't dependent on capacity increases. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our participation in the Euros isn't dependent on capacity increases. 

Are there any requirements to be met (that we don't already meet)?

5 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Are there any requirements to be met (that we don't already meet)?

I don't think so, or at least not that we won't meet by the time they happen (seating for disabled fans, additional media requirements and so on).

• Thanks 1

That list isn't an apples to apples comparison though. Fulham needed expansion for example. There stadium is old and small (for a premier league standium). They have the river to contend with and an A listed building as part of the ground. I could go on about the rest of the list. It's true, the North stand does need knocking down and something better put there. But by the sounds of it it's very complicated and not as easy as it sounds. I'm sure the stadium expansion costs aren't included in FFP/PSR, but the owners are still sensible and methodical with their spending. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MapleVilla said:

That list isn't an apples to apples comparison though. Fulham needed expansion for example. There stadium is old and small (for a premier league standium). They have the river to contend with and an A listed building as part of the ground. I could go on about the rest of the list. It's true, the North stand does need knocking down and something better put there. But by the sounds of it it's very complicated and not as easy as it sounds. I'm sure the stadium expansion costs aren't included in FFP/PSR, but the owners are still sensible and methodical with their spending. 

If we want to compete with the big 6 (which we do) then parts of our stadium are old and small (for a big 6 stadium) 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

If we want to compete with the top 6 (which we do) then parts of our stadium are old and small (for a top 6 stadium) 

And I would say the club recognise that and are trying to take short term action to close the revenue gap to keep up with the football team's progression on the pitch.  The FAB minutes recognise the North Stand is obsolete.

I was at the new coop Arena venue last night, did not realise it was right next to the "empty had".

I have never been to the "empty had" before, but it does look impressive yet rather soulless to be honest. Expansion to one of their stands is already well in progress. 

It is very clear that the owners have spent a lot on the stadium, and there is a lot they have got right it pains me to say. However it was much easier for them to build a new stadium on a derelict brownfield site...

One very good idea is what appears to be a safe well lit walk to get to the ground from the main railway station (Picadilly) and the metro/tram system.

Whatever happens to VP I think it needs to retain its "traditional" look to be honest, but we need to look at what other clubs have done. Improvements to transport links for pedestrians and public transportation systems have to be high priority. Traffic is mad after a game at VP.

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

So standing 'seats' are now back in the Holte! Is this correct? Brilliant if so.

Back 10 or so rows of upper and lower holte I think... I'm hoping to be able to get lower holte one for matches

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Back 10 or so rows of upper and lower holte I think... I'm hoping to be able to get lower holte one for matches

More than that, I’ve just had an email re ST in upper holte and I’m designated standing and I think I’m only row 19

Â