Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Posted (edited)

This has been handled very clumsily by the club and the use of language when referring to additional capacity has been murky. We are seen as $$$ to the club and fan loyalty is going to be a thing of the past - sad that football has gone this way but it’s the modern corrupt game whereby fans are just consumers to make money from only. Sickening but inevitable given the state of the game and how clubs like ours are hindered by the rules to entrench the bigger clubs. Our traditional home is gunna become a place only for the rich if they aren’t careful. Sad days indeed 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thabucks said:

This has been handled very clumsily by the club and the use of language when referring to additional capacity has been murky. We are seen as $$$ to the club and fan loyalty is going to be a thing of the past - sad that football has gone this way but it’s the modern corrupt game whereby fans are just consumers to make money from only. Sickening but inevitable given the state of the game and how clubs like ours are hindered by the rules to entrench the bigger clubs. Our traditional home is gunna become a place only for the rich if they aren’t careful. Sad days indeed 

Holy crap, I agree with you! Has peace broken out?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Holy crap, I agree with you! Has peace broken out?!

Always brother we all want the same thing at the end of the day … No excuses for how fumbled this has been handled. He has lead us to believe that there would be a material change in capacity and maybe next summer we will see a further bump but what he meant was we will Rob from the poor and give to the rich in essence which is just poor form. For all those I’ve debated with on this i will hold my hands up and say i was wrong. 

• Like 1

Is the lack or capacity increase die to the 1:1 ratio of rail seating which is seemingly different than villa thought it could be meaning the capacity doesn't actually increase through use of rail seating?

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Is the lack or capacity increase die to the 1:1 ratio of rail seating which is seemingly different than villa thought it could be meaning the capacity doesn't actually increase through use of rail seating?

It's always been 1:1 ratio so I can't see how they could have thought otherwise.  They'd have to be pretty incompetent, I just think they've been putting a bit of spin to try and make scrapping the new North Stand a bit more palatable.  The FAB meeting suggests that deep down they know it's an out-of-date shithole but don't think it's worth the money to replace it.

21 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Even more expensive when someone celebrating a goal knocks it out of the holder. UK sports fans arent like US ones...

%100. Something I had to explain to my gf when we went to the Wolves match last month. "why can't we drink at our seats?", "you'll see why shortly". I think Rodgers got dragged down by someone, so when everyone got up and was shouting she said "I see why now"!!!

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Always brother we all want the same thing at the end of the day … No excuses for how fumbled this has been handled. He has lead us to believe that there would be a material change in capacity and maybe next summer we will see a further bump but what he meant was we will Rob from the poor and give to the rich in essence which is just poor form. For all those I’ve debated with on this i will hold my hands up and say i was wrong. 

Indeed, we all want the same and I have loved every minute of the NSWE journey. I just haven't been impressed with off the field over the past year and of the things that concerned me, the stadium concerned me the most. I don't see how we sustain our push mid- to long- term without major investment in Villa Park. A lick of paint here and there and a few more posh seats at the expense of ordinary seats won't cut it beyond a year or two. Also, I never accepted that it was an either/or. Surely you can do the North and get more posh seats in the Trinity/ Witton at the same time?! It didn't have to be one or the other.

Ironically, I reckon some of the financial rule changes being discussed at the moment would mean we actually could have had the financial wriggle room to bite the bullet as planned.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

I get why the club paused the north stand to a degree so they can bring the whole stadium up to a suitable standard so they can charge more for the experience. You cannot charge top whack for sub par facilities and expect fans to be happy. Any rise is going to be unpalatable to most but it’s just the facts of the modern game sadly. I think they’ll look to squeeze what we’ve got for a few years before looking again at any full scale redevelopment plans. Hopefully we are quietly buying up any houses that will impede any future expansion. 

I cannot see how the Witton will ever get redeveloped, north stand we know what could’ve been and I wouldn’t be surprised long term they remove the roof of trinity and add another tier to it which could be done without affecting capacity just like the bin dippers did. Their main stand holds around 7k more seats than the trinity and generates them a huge sum of money. We would need to encroach into the park a bit and knock a few houses down though, so it’s a just a dream of mine. 

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The mythical 1500 extra seats hasn't appeared that they promised

So rather than the longterm greater revenue of a new stand they are removing season tickets. 2k less this season. Being turned to corporate ga+. Memberships are going to be tiered it seems.

Expect the same year on year. They will kill season tickets completely and you will just get any random seat a game with no discounts. That's how they are justifying no new stand as they are getting as much money out of what they have now with minimum cost.

Or am I wrong?

So basically the club added 2,250 "new seats" but decided to not disclose that they also removed 2,000 "old ones"!   Mostly GA being turned into GA+. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I get why the club paused the north stand to a degree so they can bring the whole stadium up to a suitable standard so they can charge more for the experience. You cannot charge top whack for sub par facilities and expect fans to be happy. Any rise is going to be unpalatable to most but it’s just the facts of the modern game sadly. I think they’ll look to squeeze what we’ve got for a few years before looking again at any full scale redevelopment plans. Hopefully we are quietly buying up any houses that will impede any future expansion. 

I cannot see how the Witton will ever get redeveloped, north stand we know what could’ve been and I wouldn’t be surprised long term they remove the roof of trinity and add another tier to it which could be done without affecting capacity just like the bin dippers did. Their main stand holds around 7k more seats than the trinity and generates them a huge sum of money. We would need to encroach into the park a bit and knock a few houses down though, so it’s a just a dream of mine. 

Major renovation/rebuild will happen after we have years of sustained success and tickets become almost impossible to secure - thus justifying the hundred millions in construction costs and two years of reduced capacity. 

Not sure what other people's experience has been but I visited England with my family over the Christmas holidays and was able to secure tickets to two Villa matches fairly easily through official channels.

Posted (edited)

December 2022: planning permission granted and renders available. Monster of a new North Stand planned and a Villa Live Structure behind it.

19 July 2023: updated plans unveiled on twitter and a new video on the website. Reveal that the Villa Live will now be replaced by the warehouse. That the club shop will now be located in the new stand rather than Villa Live.

18 December 2023: announced that the new stand is on hold. Subsequently emerges that they intend reconfiguring seats in the current stand and will rebuild the club shop.

End of season 2023-24: seats being taken out of the existing north stand and the reconfiguration will lead to a capacity increase of about 300 seats. And rumours the addidas logo will be spelled out in blue seats In the claret section of the stand.

29 May 2024 we hear that some sort of new fan area structure is going up behind the current North stand in the current player car park and that the players will walk through this area on match day.

Every time we hear a snippet it makes proper redevelopment less likely. 

It's gone so short term from what we were doing, which was ambitious. it's so odd!

Edited by Captain_Townsend

The club is definitely building plans around the existing North Stand - one of the phrases that stuck with me from the meeting was "we want to find ways to get bigger without getting smaller" and I think that's a key.

The North Stand project as was is dead I think, but there were suggestions from the club at the meeting  that they're still looking at ways they can do things with the North Stand that are bigger than those that are planned over the next couple of summers. 

The warehouse plans by the way, might end up being bigger than those that were submitted for planning, they may need a taller structure to accommodate some of the concert stuff - that's part of the reason why work isn't starting this summer.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2024 at 11:24, limpid said:

suspect any "extra" seats will be converting more GA seats to GA+.

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

So basically the club added 2,250 "new seats" but decided to not disclose that they also removed 2,000 "old ones"!   Mostly GA being turned into GA+. 

It's a two year process, so that balance may change next summer. It may not, but the works for add the extra seats aren't complete this summer.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The club is definitely building plans around the existing North Stand - one of the phrases that stuck with me from the meeting was "we want to find ways to get bigger without getting smaller" and I think that's a key.

The North Stand project as was is dead I think, but there were suggestions from the club at the meeting  that they're still looking at ways they can do things with the North Stand that are bigger than those that are planned over the next couple of summers. 

Short of demolition not sure what can be done… the goal post support the whole stand so in essence it hangs down from it so nothing can be done with that … they could remove the first tier of boxes and extend the lower tier backwards creating an overhang similar to the old North Bank at Highbury… it’s all a bit disjointed and odd but there you go 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Earlier this year I was told of a new player tunnel area and it may even be moved from its current position in the corner to a new position coming out of the north stand. Haven’t seen either being mentioned since?  Do we think work is still being done this summer on a “new” tunnel area?

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The warehouse plans by the way, might end up being bigger than those that were submitted for planning, they may need a taller structure to accommodate some of the concert stuff - that's part of the reason why work isn't starting this summer.

Hmm. Maybe Villa Live wasn't such a bad idea then?!

46 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Earlier this year I was told of a new player tunnel area and it may even be moved from its current position in the corner to a new position coming out of the north stand. Haven’t seen either being mentioned since?  Do we think work is still being done this summer on a “new” tunnel area?

No mention of it. I don't think it's on the cards.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The North stand used to have a walk under tunnel if I recall. It’s where the St John’s ambulance people were when we pretended to have sprained ankles out of the Holte to walk past the away fans and clock what they had @sheepyvillian knows what I am on about 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1

Â