Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I want something so big it can be seen from Bordesley.

The Holte should have it’s own junction on the M6 and a direct link to the airport, the road cutting straight through Small Heath but with barriers of one way glass so people can’t be upset by the objectionable dump they’re passing, but the inhabitants of Small Heath at least would get to see actual humans occasionally driving past. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only stand name I particularly care about is the Holte End anyway.

Doug Ellis I don't care for for obvious reasons.

And it's not like the other two have particularly iconic names. One's named after the direction it's in and the other is name after the road it's on.

Fill your boots with naming rights. Rename them both, **** it

Here you go :flag: 

img_1_1646678174980.thumb.jpg.614eda5323494d6f9e9d8f3828e0f0f4.jpg

• Like 2

Made Construction News last week. 

Preliminary designs to expand Villa Park stadium have been drawn up, Aston Villa FC has confirmed.

The club has revealed that it has brought in a multidisciplinary team including engineers to draw up plans to expand the ground by 5,000 seats.

The additional seating would be facilitated by building a new North Stand and would take the stadium’s capacity to more than 50,000.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/buildings/aston-villa-reveals-stadium-expansion-plans-03-03-2022/

On 06/03/2022 at 17:46, OutByEaster? said:

I've been pondering the stand by stand numbers and I'm struggling to make sense of them. I'm sure I read the Holte End as 13,472 and I know the current North is less than 8,000 but if those two are 22,000 it suggests that the current Trinity and Doug Ellis only hold 20,000 between them and I'm sure I read the Trinity as 13,000+. The Doug Ellis is bigger than you'd think and I seem to recall it holds something along the lines of 11,500 - but that would give current Villa Park a capacity of more than 46,000.

Annoyingly, I've got those stand by stand numbers in Simon Inglis's excellent book, 100 Years of Villa Park, but it's in the cupboard and I can't find it.

Without going and looking up - the Trinity is 12 and a bit thousand, the Witton lane around 9,000. Which makes 21 and a bit. The number of seats in the ground and the capacity for matches aren't the same because of segregation, because of some with no view of the full pitch in the witton lane corner of the Holte, from when they re-profiled the lower tier of the witton. There's also been additional disabled seating replacing (more) regular seating. The ground capacity now for games is 42,095 - 13,000 and a couple of hundred in the Holte, 7000 and a bit in the North, 9000 and a bit on the Witton and 12000 and a bit in the Trinity giving the 42K by my ready reckoning.

• Like 1

Re: Stand capacities. See bold below taken from another site - https://www.avillafan.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8599-aston-villa-stats-and-facts/

VILLA PARK:

Villa Park opened in 1897 at the cost of £16,400. It was officially called the 'Aston Lower Grounds'. Before the Aston Lower Grounds, Villa played at 'Wellington Road' which they played their football at until 1897.

Villa Park comprises 42,640 seats shared between 4 stands.

The Holte End (capacity 13,472)

The North Stand (capacity 7,086)

The Doug Ellis Stand (capacity 9,081)

The Trinity Road Stand (capacity 12,954)

Villa Park has held more FA Cup semi finals than any other ground (55 semi-finals)

Villa Park also hosted the last ever final of the Cup Winners Cup (Lazio - Mallorca)

The first stadium to stage interational football in three different centuries

Highest Attendance at Villa Park:

League Game: 69,492 v. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 27th December 1949

FA Cup Game: 76,588 v. Derby County, 6th round, 2nd March 1946

As An All-Seater Stadium: 42,788 v. Manchester United, 10th February 2010

Lowest Attendance at Villa Park:

League Game: 2,900 v. Bradford City, Division One, 13th February 1915

Shows how badly designed the Trinity was that the Holte & new North Stand are larger in capacity… 

Edited by thabucks

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure I've ever heard any of our stands other than the Holte End being referenced by other fans and media anyway. So it's likely that the majority of people wouldn't even know it had happened

Funnily enough, I've never heard any media ever name any of our other stands either, until literally the commentary against Saints mentioned that we'd 'had our joy in the first half attacking the North Stand' or words to that effect. First time ever, right this week.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Made Construction News last week. 

Preliminary designs to expand Villa Park stadium have been drawn up, Aston Villa FC has confirmed.

The club has revealed that it has brought in a multidisciplinary team including engineers to draw up plans to expand the ground by 5,000 seats.

The additional seating would be facilitated by building a new North Stand and would take the stadium’s capacity to more than 50,000.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/buildings/aston-villa-reveals-stadium-expansion-plans-03-03-2022/

Either I've misunderstood the article or their maths isn't good! Adding 5000 seats to an existing capacity of around 42500 would not 'take the stadium's capacity to more than 50,000'.😕

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Either I've misunderstood the article or their maths isn't good! Adding 5000 seats to an existing capacity of around 42500 would not 'take the stadium's capacity to more than 50,000'.😕

We could make the jump that 5k added to the north stand plus some extra in the corners?

or it was crap journalism 

1 hour ago, peterw said:

The ground is on trinity Road, the gable was on the trinity Road stand, the Trinity Road stand facade was so spectaculr it was copied for the Holte. The Trinity Road stand IS Villa park and I'll hear no other pretences otherwise. And this is from a Holte Ender. The Trinity Road stand is Aston Villa to any historian of Aston Villa. The North Stand can be renamed, and the Witton Lane needs to be renamed. Other than that the other two are too iconic.

Meh. Means nothing to me. It’s the name of a road. I wouldn’t even flinch if they renamed it

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

We could make the jump that 5k added to the north stand plus some extra in the corners?

or it was crap journalism 

I doubt phase one would include extra seats in the HE/TR or HE/DE corners, so it would be North Stand corners. As I've never seen a stadium's capacity listed by stands followed by 'Corners - X thousand', I strongly suspect your second statement is correct.

• Like 1

Think they will fill in the gap between the new North stand and the trinity rd stand. The other corner and the Witton / Doug Ellis stand has always been difficult to get planning permissions for. But after the North stand the Witton / DE stand is the next easiet to boost capacity as it rather small, so if we could get permission to build a larger stand there and join it to the new North stand we could get close to 60k. I'd like to keep the Holte end free standing (not joined to the adjacent stands).

6 hours ago, peterw said:

The ground is on trinity Road, the gable was on the trinity Road stand, the Trinity Road stand facade was so spectaculr it was copied for the Holte. The Trinity Road stand IS Villa park and I'll hear no other pretences otherwise. And this is from a Holte Ender. The Trinity Road stand is Aston Villa to any historian of Aston Villa. The North Stand can be renamed, and the Witton Lane needs to be renamed. Other than that the other two are too iconic.

disagree

the whole thing can be renamed, the stands, the stadium, the lounges, the train stations, whatever they want

the sponsor wont stick to villa fans, its something for sky to wheel out and our coffers get lined, its not for us- in your post you yourself call it the witton, in 100 years it'll still be the witton 

its for the games gone thread but thats what football is now, we arent getting a pillow partner and competing with arsenal's revenue let alone utds or citys, you cant have it that you want villa to be competitive and buy all these players but at the same time that we dont sell our soul, the 2 go hand in hand in the PL

• Like 4

they wont change the colours and they wont change the team name

and the point is that they cant change the stadium name, or the names of the stands, fans will always call it villa park regardless of what company's neon lights they stick on it and what martin tyler is made to call it, to me its completely irrelevant, take the money

out of interest how old are you and what did you think of them sticking davenports on the front of the shirt? im too young so to me its just completely normal to have that sponsor on the front - but I see the stadium sponsor as the same, this year was the first year maybe ever man city over took man utd in revenue, how long until man united sponsor OT? a team who already generate £300m+ more revenue that us will pull even further away, stadium sponsors or stand sponsors or sponsoring various bits of the ground will be next, in 20 years time it will be the same as shirt sponsors, everyone has them, real madrid have sold their stadium to an entertainment company for 400m euro a year

football has long gone

I doubt we will have ground sponsor. The value is in a having a new stadium from scratch which you immediately identify to the sponsor such as the emirates. Everyone knows it is Villa Park and would probably just keep referring to it even if it got sponsored.  There are better ways to generate revenue.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I doubt we will have ground sponsor. The value is in a having a new stadium from scratch which you immediately identify to the sponsor such as the emirates. Everyone knows it is Villa Park and would probably just keep referring to it even if it got sponsored.  There are better ways to generate revenue.

There are better ways - but if a sponsor gave us £5m (for example) to put some branding up, I would not be against it. 

It all adds up, little by little. 

And even if they called it Adidas Pepsi Max Netflix Stadium, it would still be Villa Park. The only difference is we would likely see better players running around in it. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â