Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What with a Vegas team to fund and new stadium for them to build. Think the Witton will be 5-10 years of continued progression and hopefully success down the road before they tackle it - if at all. 

Well yeah, it'll be a case of building The North Stand, then pause and see how the season ticket demand is and the team are performing then see if further phases are needed. 

Although I wouldn't be suprised if a redevelopment of The Witton Lane stand would be as much decided by corporate requirements as seats.  It's still got a line of individual executive boxes which don't seem to be the thing these days, and no meeting rooms/lounges/exhibition spaces.  The money the hugely impressive Trinity Road stand generates must totally eclipse what they earn from the other side of the ground. 

I think people just think about bums on seats and don't really understand how much the corporate offering earns us. Witton Lane is really just a bums on seats stand currently. 

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What an incredibly odd take. 

What's business's got to do with it anyway? We're talking about replacing old worn out infficient housing stock with modern green efficient housing stock.  That's what redevelopment is, are you suggesting there is no such thing as housing redevelopment?

Besides which your statement is utter bollocks anyway. 

There are loads of businesses moving in to Atlas Industrial Estate and loads of massive industrial sheds going up in Junction 6 Industrial Park off Electric Avenue is probably the largest development of new industrial Units in Birmingham this Century. 

Ok - I was thinking more of urban regeneration.

Whose putting up the money for these homes?

Are we expecting the current residents to buy them ? 

Or is Birmingham council going to unleash the might of its 2022 housing budget 

Just now, hippo said:

Ok - I was thinking more of urban regeneration.

Whose putting up the money for these homes?

Are we expecting the current residents to buy them ? 

Or is Birmingham council going to unleash the might of its 2022 housing budget 

No, NSWE set up a development company, get a Compulsory Purchase order on the houses on Holte Road. 

Sell to Villa the strip of land needed to build the stand, knock down the Victorian Houses, build a few apartments and 3 story town houses on the remaining land and sell off the new homes, that are green and well insulated and being better shape/design probably have more bedrooms overall than the houses they knocked down, and hopefully sell them off for more than they built the old houses for. 

The average house price on Holte Road is about £140k.  Looking on Zoopla it looks like some of the Apartments in the new Perry Barr development are going for that kind of price.  Christ there is one on there described as a luxury one bedroom apartment for sale at £180,000!

I'm certain it could work 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

No, NSWE set up a development company, get a Compulsory Purchase order on the houses on Holte Road. 

Sell to Villa the strip of land needed to build the stand, knock down the Victorian Houses, build a few apartments and 3 story town houses on the remaining land and sell off the new homes, that are green and well insulated and being better shape/design probably have more bedrooms overall than the houses they knocked down, and hopefully sell them off for more than they built the old houses for. 

The average house price on Holte Road is about £140k.  Looking on Zoopla it looks like some of the Apartments in the new Perry Barr development are going for that kind of price.  Christ there is one on there described as a luxury one bedroom apartment for sale at £180,000!

I'm certain it could work 

It's a wonder someone hasn't thought of it before isn't it?

Just now, hippo said:

It's a wonder someone hasn't thought of it before isn't it?

Well no one else has wanted to build a stand there before. 

Even if they only make it cost neutral it would facilitate what we need whilst also providing some shiny new environmentaly friendly homes for the City. 

It's all just theoretical at this time anyway. 

But irrespective of any of this, The UK needs to do something radical with housing and quickly. Our cities are chock full of leaky, draughty houses heated by gas burning boilers.  That's going to drive housing development almost as much as socio economic factors in the coming years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well no one else has wanted to build a stand there before. 

Even if they only make it cost neutral it would facilitate what we need whilst also providing some shiny new environmentaly friendly homes for the City. 

It's all just theoretical at this time anyway. 

But irrespective of any of this, The UK needs to do something radical with housing and quickly. Our cities are chock full of leaky, draughty houses heated by gas burning boilers.  That's going to drive housing development almost as much as socio economic factors in the coming years. 

So it's not happening then ? 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

So it's not happening then ? 

No, we've all just been speculation about further development after The North Stand as the club has described it as "Phase 1" intimating there will be further phases. 

The only really logical other thing to do is The Witton Lane stand. 

Edited by sidcow

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, we've all just been speculation about further development after The North Stand as the club has described it as "Phase 1" intimating there will be further phases. 

The only really logical other thing to do is The Witton Lane stand. 

And didn’t Purslow say the full development of Villa Park would take over 10 years. So that suggests another big project after the North stand is sorted.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've been pondering the stand by stand numbers and I'm struggling to make sense of them. I'm sure I read the Holte End as 13,472 and I know the current North is less than 8,000 but if those two are 22,000 it suggests that the current Trinity and Doug Ellis only hold 20,000 between them and I'm sure I read the Trinity as 13,000+. The Doug Ellis is bigger than you'd think and I seem to recall it holds something along the lines of 11,500 - but that would give current Villa Park a capacity of more than 46,000.

Annoyingly, I've got those stand by stand numbers in Simon Inglis's excellent book, 100 Years of Villa Park, but it's in the cupboard and I can't find it.

DE is about 9,500. It lost seats when the lower tier had to be reprofiled a couple of years after the upper tier was built. It is quite small for a side stand for a ground like us.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

DE is about 9,500. It lost seats when the lower tier had to be reprofiled a couple of years after the upper tier was built. It is quite small for a side stand for a ground like us.

Ah yes, when Doug's masterplan  involved part of said lower tier blocking seats in the lower Holte.

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well yeah, it'll be a case of building The North Stand, then pause and see how the season ticket demand is and the team are performing then see if further phases are needed. 

Although I wouldn't be suprised if a redevelopment of The Witton Lane stand would be as much decided by corporate requirements as seats.  It's still got a line of individual executive boxes which don't seem to be the thing these days, and no meeting rooms/lounges/exhibition spaces.  The money the hugely impressive Trinity Road stand generates must totally eclipse what they earn from the other side of the ground. 

I think people just think about bums on seats and don't really understand how much the corporate offering earns us. Witton Lane is really just a bums on seats stand currently. 

Didn't they put in that 1874 suite recently? 

5 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Ah yes, when Doug's masterplan  involved part of said lower tier blocking seats in the lower Holte.

And putting a new roof on the old Holte Terrace, only to flatten the whole lot. And to spend about £2 million refurbishing the old Trinity Road before knocking the whole thing down less than 10 years later. And in not hiring an architect and doing it all in-house. 

That is why Villa Park is such a hodgepodge of stands.

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

And putting a new roof on the old Holte Terrace, only to flatten the whole lot. And to spend about £2 million refurbishing the old Trinity Road before knocking the whole thing down less than 10 years later. And in not hiring an architect and doing it all in-house. 

That is why Villa Park is such a hodgepodge of stands.

In every corner he did something architecturally stupid as well.  The ugly looking control centre oddly perched between the Witton Lane and Holte, the ugly external metal staircase and other nonsense in the Holte / Trinity corner, the old "superbox" and the Corner Flag.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

In every corner he did something architecturally stupid as well.  The ugly looking control centre oddly perched between the Witton Lane and Holte, the ugly external metal staircase and other nonsense in the Holte / Trinity corner, the old "superbox" and the Corner Flag.

Wasn't the thing at the end of the trinity supposed to have been for the broadcast TV but was found unworkable? 

Yeah I hate that metal structure/staircase, it's at total eyesore to look at.

Needs to be ripped out and filled in with seats.

Also, anyone notice Ugo's picture doesn't look right, it seems like the top of his head is obscured? 

On 03/03/2022 at 08:54, villa4europe said:

id sell the naming rights to the stands personally...

same as Villa Park it will always be Villa Park 

but if they want to pay £10m a year to call the new north stand the fortress investment group stand then its safe to say i would not give a single ****

The only stand name I particularly care about is the Holte End anyway.

Doug Ellis I don't care for for obvious reasons.

And it's not like the other two have particularly iconic names. One's named after the direction it's in and the other is name after the road it's on.

Fill your boots with naming rights. Rename them both, **** it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only stand name I particularly care about is the Holte End anyway.

Doug Ellis I don't care for for obvious reasons.

And it's not like the other two have particularly iconic names. One's named after the direction it's in and the other is name after the road it's on.

Fill your boots with naming rights. Rename them both, **** it

I feel like this now. 

If the Trinity still looked like it once did, I would be more invested in keeping the name. But it doesn’t, so I’m less bothered. 

Obviously the Holte has changed over the years, but the name itself carries more weight. It doesn’t matter that it’s not the same pile of bricks, it’s the Holte.

Keep the names Villa Park and the Holte End.  Everything else can be renamed - within reason. “The Fortress End” sounds good, a bit more interesting than the North Stand.

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I feel like this now. 

If the Trinity still looked like it once did, I would be more invested in keeping the name. But it doesn’t, so I’m less bothered. 

Obviously the Holte has changed over the years, but the name itself carries more weight. It doesn’t matter that it’s not the same pile of bricks, it’s the Holte.

Keep the names Villa Park and the Holte End.  Everything else can be renamed - within reason. “The Fortress End” sounds good, a bit more interesting than the North Stand.

I'm not sure I've ever heard any of our stands other than the Holte End being referenced by other fans and media anyway. So it's likely that the majority of people wouldn't even know it had happened

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â