Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

«You can buy all that property, knock down the Doug Ellis, rebuild with the biggest stand in the country and you're still not getting to 60,000

Holte End. 13500

Trinity Road 13000

New DE stand 20500 (as the new Main stand, Anfield)

New North Stand 15000

= 62 000

I was thinking, looking at the North Stand at half time yesterday, the new development is going to change the way Villa Park feels in a way. That double row of boxes and the goal post steelwork that the stand is built around sort of forms a wall and that 'wall' is only around fifteen meters from the edge of the pitch. Once you reach the back of the lower tier there's a sort of plane that gives Villa Park its shape.

A new stand is likely to have a much larger lower tier and we probably won't see that plane arrive until the end of that tier - it could be another twenty yards further back - that'll make the space inside Villa Park feel a lot bigger, a lot more open the whole thing will just seem like there's more space.

Hopefully good roof design keeps the noise in and bigger crowds will make it something extraordinary, but it'll be different with more space behind the goal.

I'm not sure if I've described that properly - I hope you understand what I mean.

• Like 3

60k villa park puts us very much aiming for the european football elite. Knocking down Witton and removing Herbert's name from it would be great, new monster north stand will be incredible. If we can get a proper atmosphere going at two ends of the ground it might help the place when things are a bit flat (often) but maybe not if the ticket prices get much higher.

53 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Property is far more expensive to buy now than 30 years ago. Any redevelopment needs to have the local community on board and casually mentioning we could buy and then move families on won't go down that well imo. The reason why the DE is as it is the height it is is entirely down to the nearby houses who put an objection in.  It is not impossible, but would be a huge project if we ever went down this route.

Football tickets are far more expensive than 30 years ago. 

Aston needs major redevelopment. The council needs to replace old inefficient homes with green homes to meet targets. 

Obviously most people will not be on board which is why Compulsory Purchase Orders exist. 

I don't see he council standing in the way of a private investor looking to develop a big swathe of Aston if it fulfils some of their requirements. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was thinking, looking at the North Stand at half time yesterday, the new development is going to change the way Villa Park feels in a way. That double row of boxes and the goal post steelwork that the stand is built around sort of forms a wall and that 'wall' is only around fifteen meters from the edge of the pitch. Once you reach the back of the lower tier there's a sort of plane that gives Villa Park its shape.

A new stand is likely to have a much larger lower tier and we probably won't see that plane arrive until the end of that tier - it could be another twenty yards further back - that'll make the space inside Villa Park feel a lot bigger, a lot more open the whole thing will just seem like there's more space.

Hopefully good roof design keeps the noise in and bigger crowds will make it something extraordinary, but it'll be different with more space behind the goal.

I'm not sure if I've described that properly - I hope you understand what I mean.

know exactly what you mean, looking from the holte that double band of boxes looks like it's sat on top of the goal pretty much. not sure how much that affects the noise tbh, but it is a lot of flat glass and concrete so you'd think it would reflect back a lot of noise from the holte.

2 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Holte End. 13500

Trinity Road 13000

New DE stand 20500 (as the new Main stand, Anfield)

New North Stand 15000

I've been pondering the stand by stand numbers and I'm struggling to make sense of them. I'm sure I read the Holte End as 13,472 and I know the current North is less than 8,000 but if those two are 22,000 it suggests that the current Trinity and Doug Ellis only hold 20,000 between them and I'm sure I read the Trinity as 13,000+. The Doug Ellis is bigger than you'd think and I seem to recall it holds something along the lines of 11,500 - but that would give current Villa Park a capacity of more than 46,000.

Annoyingly, I've got those stand by stand numbers in Simon Inglis's excellent book, 100 Years of Villa Park, but it's in the cupboard and I can't find it.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Obviously most people will not be on board which is why Compulsory Purchase Orders exist. 

Pretty **** shitty though isn't it? For people to be forced out of their homes, that they might have lived in for decades, not for the national interest by some huge infrastructure project, but to fuel the profits and ambitions of a nearby company. 

It's a legal avenue the club might be able to pursue, but it's a **** disgrace that it's a possibility. 

• Like 2

How was getting away by car yesterday?

There was surprisingly no queue at Aston station.  I still can't find any correlation of factors that lead to there being a horrendous queue or not. 

A full house and a win is probably what you'd usually expect to create one unless they magically decided that more trains is a good idea.

I think CPO's on housing for non-housing developments is politically very difficult at the moment - there's a massive push to build houses for all the people that can't live in investment rabbit hutches in the centre of town - knocking down houses and moving people isn't something I can see Andy Street sticking his head over the parapet for - especially given the likely effect on the surrounding transport infrastructure on matchdays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Pretty **** shitty though isn't it? For people to be forced out of their homes, that they might have lived in for decades, not for the national interest by some huge infrastructure project, but to fuel the profits and ambitions of a nearby company. 

It's a legal avenue the club might be able to pursue, but it's a **** disgrace that it's a possibility. 

It happens all the time. If it didn't we'd all be living in Tudor homes with a hole out back to shit in. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think CPO's on housing for non-housing developments is politically very difficult at the moment - there's a massive push to build houses for all the people that can't live in investment rabbit hutches in the centre of town - knocking down houses and moving people isn't something I can see Andy Street sticking his head over the parapet for - especially given the likely effect on the surrounding transport infrastructure on matchdays.

I think it would be easier if you're replacing low density inefficient 2 up 2 down Victorian/inter War terraces with modern Higher density well insulated houses heated by ground source heat pumps and bristling with solar panels. 

It will tick a lot of boxes for housing shortages and environmental requirements. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

How was getting away by car yesterday?

There was surprisingly no queue at Aston station.  I still can't find any correlation of factors that lead to there being a horrendous queue or not. 

A full house and a win is probably what you'd usually expect to create one unless they magically decided that more trains is a good idea.

We park at the Yew Tree which is usually quite a nightmare but we were away really quickly and home a good half hour earlier than usual

• Like 1

Incidentally,. This is exactly what is going on large scale in Ladywood over the next few years.  Perry Barr is also getting a lot of this kind of development. 

Redevelopment of Aston is inevitable and I think The Council would welcome it. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it would be easier if you're replacing low density inefficient 2 up 2 down Victorian/inter War terraces with modern Higher density well insulated houses heated by ground source heat pumps and bristling with solar panels. 

Absolutely it would - but we'd be replacing low density inefficient 2 up 2 down Victorian/inter War terraces with a grandstand.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely it would - but we'd be replacing low density inefficient 2 up 2 down Victorian/inter War terraces with a grandstand.

Not if we bought up more houses than needed and replaced them with higher density housing on smaller footprint as part of the overall development. 

Usually these days it's a mixture of apartment blocks and 3 story buildings.  Smaller gardens.  Those victorian houses have that odd L shape usually that's a really bad use of space. 

I think it would be relatively easy to at least match and probably increase overall housing capacity and build the stand on a similar footprint as the current houses. 

I'm just waiting for Fortress Redevelopments to be lodged as a new Fortress company.  He would certainly know how to access the investment funds. 

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Incidentally,. This is exactly what is going on large scale in Ladywood over the next few years.  Perry Barr is also getting a lot of this kind of development. 

Redevelopment of Aston is inevitable and I think The Council would welcome it. 

Good luck with redeveloping Aston.

It was a shithole even when there was money for such projects. 

The high crime rate will deter many businesses from going there.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

There's currently an enormous development happening right on the edge of Aston with the old university campus and Perry Barr - that's bringing fourteen hundred new homes of the type that @sidcow is talking about. It's half a mile from Villa Park. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

It was a shithole even when there was money for such projects. 

The high crime rate will deter many businesses from going there.

What an incredibly odd take. 

What's business's got to do with it anyway? We're talking about replacing old worn out infficient housing stock with modern green efficient housing stock.  That's what redevelopment is, are you suggesting there is no such thing as housing redevelopment?

Besides which your statement is utter bollocks anyway. 

There are loads of businesses moving in to Atlas Industrial Estate and loads of massive industrial sheds going up in Junction 6 Industrial Park off Electric Avenue is probably the largest development of new industrial Units in Birmingham this Century. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's currently an enormous development happening right on the edge of Aston with the old university campus and Perry Barr - that's bringing fourteen hundred new homes of the type that @sidcow is talking about. It's half a mile from Villa Park. 

Indeed, the roads around there are a nightmare at the moment, made the error of travelling in that way for the Watford game….I wondered why junction 7 (M6) was so quiet, then I found out! 

• Like 1

What with a Vegas team to fund and new stadium for NSWE to build. Think the Witton will be 5-10 years of continued progression and hopefully success down the road before they tackle it - if at all. 

Edited by thabucks

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â