Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There's no statement to that effect, just some second hand comments that there's no plans to move.

They weren’t second hand comments. They were made by club representatives to fan representatives at an official meeting. They were also quite definite. I honestly think a redevelopment is more likely than a new stadium.

The North stand redevelopment is the sweet spot for our ground and fan base imo. 50000 ish is something we’d sell out regularly for years to come. I don’t think we’re a 60000 capacity club except maybe for the really big games. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The club literally said they were building a new north stand and a 'boxpark' entertainment complex. They showed us videos of what it will look like, had the mayor on board, had planning permission. Then one day the CEO just casually mentioned it was cancelled with a throwaway line halfway through a non-related video interview.  And then lied through his teeth as to why they were cancelling it. 

I know all that, thanks. Although they never said it was cancelled. 

Edited by Stevo985

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There's no statement to that effect, just some second hand comments that there's no plans to move.

This is just completely false.

It was a statement in notes officially released by the club

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

They weren’t second hand comments. They were made by club representatives to fan representatives at an official meeting. They were also quite definite. I honestly think a redevelopment is more likely than a new stadium.

And the official notes of the meeting were released by the club where they could have clarified anything said. And they didn’t. 

• Like 1

Again I’m not saying things can’t change. Of course they can. 

But at this stage there is literally nothing more categoric that we could have than the club officially saying we are not moving. 

Short of a lie detector test that’s the best evidence it is possible for us to have. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah they did dig out and lower the pitch level in Camp Nou, to fit more seating in. I don’t think we have as much space around the pitch as they did though. But if we did I bet we could at 8-9000 by doing that:

Ahhh knew it! Looked like multi story car park from the walk up to it. Was a little underwhelming till I went in and got to my seat. Love the Spanish stadiums with their steep stairs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The club literally said they were building a new north stand and a 'boxpark' entertainment complex. They showed us videos of what it will look like, had the mayor on board, had planning permission. Then one day the CEO just casually mentioned it was cancelled with a throwaway line halfway through a non-related video interview.  And then lied through his teeth as to why they were cancelling it. 

100%. If he said it was day time I would double check. We were meant to be getting a new crest, predominantly claret and blue and in a shape voted on and they also u-turned on that apparently to repackage the original shield crest they promised we were moving on from!

That's why I have always felt a new stadium could be on the cards despite the denials. The cancellation of NS makes no sense otherwise really.

I am still hoping it is a bigger redevelopment they are going to announce and all will be forgiven!

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

Seeing as people seem to have forgotten this happened, and I’ve posted it before, here is what the club said. 

These are from the official notes from the FAB on 20th December 2023 which the club has published on its website here

For clarity, rumours on social media suggesting that this decision will result in a new stadium elsewhere are entirely false. Moving away from Villa Park is not part of any plans

Point taken but you have got to admit they have been doing handbrake turns for the past 12 months on many different aspects of the club so people take that denial with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

I have too. And I didn't take them as cast iron guarantees, just that there were no plans to move. Like I say, the situation can change. They already have to some degree. I also agree a redevelopment of the area (dependent on expanding the land) is the most likely outcome. We're roleplaying a situation than may or not become a necessity.

Edit: Sorry, this was a response to Outbyeaster than didnt include his post for some reason. Long day maybe.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Short of a lie detector test that’s the best evidence it is possible for us to have. 

Lie detector tests don't work reliably. It's why they aren't admissible as evidence in court. Might as well go with the "look into their eyes" method.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The club have been as categoric as they can be. They’ve literally said we aren’t moving. 

Yes they COULD be lying. And yes things COULD change. 

But your question was “who says we’re not moving?” 
Well the club says it. You can’t really get a bigger authority on the matter than that 😂

It wasn't that long ago that the owners said that their priority was winning promotion.  Then they said that their priority was staying up.  It is possible that 3 years ago they had no plans to move.  It is possible that 12 months ago they had no current plans to move.  It is also possible that now they are considering their options. 

In many ways it could also make sense for the owners to deny that they are planning on moving - for example, Villa signalling that they might be looking to build a new stadium would almost certainly impact on the price of property around the city.

The recent appointments suggest that they are planning something and whilst that could be redeveloping VP - the big challenge to that is how we do that in a way that doesn't impact on our revenue figures in the short term?  I don't think we can spend 2-3 years with one or two stands out of action and hit our FFP targets.  I also don't think that there are many options for us to temporarily move to another 40,000 seater within a 45 min journey.  Can we buy enough land around Aston to allow us to build a new stadium "on the same site-ish" whilst still using VP for matches in the meantime?

Of course it is also possible that almost all the recent appointments coincidentally happen to have experience in big infrastructure projects and that they've been appointed just because they work well with our owners.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

Lie detector tests don't work reliably. It's why they aren't admissible as evidence in court. Might as well go with the "look into their eyes" method.

I know. It’s almost as if I wasn’t being entirely serious 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We could conceivably  buy properties behind Witton Lane and build a new stand there behind the current one and then finish the job over a summer. Likewise, maybe they have found a way to do this with the North redevelopment or to do the build in a way that allows fans in the lower tier before completion (as was done with the Holte and Trinity while they were being finished).

8 minutes ago, allani said:

It wasn't that long ago that the owners said that their priority was winning promotion.  Then they said that their priority was staying up.  It is possible that 3 years ago they had no plans to move.  It is possible that 12 months ago they had no current plans to move.  It is also possible that now they are considering their options. 

In many ways it could also make sense for the owners to deny that they are planning on moving - for example, Villa signalling that they might be looking to build a new stadium would almost certainly impact on the price of property around the city.

The recent appointments suggest that they are planning something and whilst that could be redeveloping VP - the big challenge to that is how we do that in a way that doesn't impact on our revenue figures in the short term?  I don't think we can spend 2-3 years with one or two stands out of action and hit our FFP targets.  I also don't think that there are many options for us to temporarily move to another 40,000 seater within a 45 min journey.  Can we buy enough land around Aston to allow us to build a new stadium "on the same site-ish" whilst still using VP for matches in the meantime?

Of course it is also possible that almost all the recent appointments coincidentally happen to have experience in big infrastructure projects and that they've been appointed just because they work well with our owners.

I know. I’ve literally said as much. This whole thing was in response to me being asked “who says we’re not moving”

Ive literally said in more than one post above that things COULD change. 

The fact is the biggest bit of evidence as to whether we are or are not leaving villa park is a statement by the club categorically stating that we are NOT moving. 

Call me crazy but that would indicate to me that the most likely scenario is that we’re not moving. 

There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary except for the recent appointments. But they could quite easily be to do with expanding/redeveloping the ground. In fact that is a far far more logical scenario

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Point taken but you have got to admit they have been doing handbrake turns for the past 12 months on many different aspects of the club so people take that denial with a pinch of salt.

Are they?  Handbrake turns implies that it is all chaotic. 

It might just be that the owners are reacting to the fact that we've gone from challenging for 14th to 4th in a short period of time.  We've been able to recruit one of the best managers, coaching teams and recruitment teams in the PL.  And as a result we've seen "the best sponsorship deal" we could hope to attract be trebled AND our shirt manufaturing deal more than quadruple.  So rather than making handbrake turns - maybe they've just been able to release the handbrake and make their plans more ambitious.

11 minutes ago, allani said:

People do realise that redeveloping Villa park and the surrounding area would also count as a “big infrastructure project” right?

• Like 2

Â