Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 minutes ago, GodsBarkeep said:

Not at all, made me chuckle.

- just using it as an excuse to quote partridge!

It's always the best part of my day when quoting partridge, or hearing it quoted, thank you good sir.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Has the adulation worn off yet? 

I think it will wear off when Tony puts a foot or two wrong - so far he has done everything he needs to do and more. This guy is hungry for promotion and will throw money at it until it happens - that is my idea of an ideal owner.

He recruited the worst manager we've had for quite some time. That was HIS appointment and HIS **** up. That manager was allowed to spend money on too many attacking players and the squad is lacking in other key areas. That was Tony and HIS structure and HIS 'football men' that allowed that to happen. 

I guess what Mike is getting at is that there's blind adulation for him, people are ignoring what a shambles we are, and things aren't going well under Tony so far at all. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Has the adulation worn off yet? 

If you mean excitement then to a degree yes, of course. However I have been impressed by the majority of the work we have been doing off the pitch so far. I am pleased by the ruthlessness shown in sacking RDM too.

The fans will settle into a rhythm, just as the owner will and hopefully the most important aspect, the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

He recruited the worst manager we've had for quite some time. That was HIS appointment and HIS **** up. That manager was allowed to spend money on too many attacking players and the squad is lacking in other key areas. That was Tony and HIS structure and HIS 'football men' that allowed that to happen. 

I guess what Mike is getting at is that there's blind adulation for him, people are ignoring what a shambles we are, and things aren't going well under Tony so far at all. 

Well Round started after RDM had identified and purchased all the targets. And the choice was RDM, Moyes or Pearson - none of which have succeeded where they are. As always it depends on your own levels of optimism - but I went from completely fed up last week to optimistic again now that Tony has corrected what we all agree to being the biggest obstacle to our chances of promotion. Big chance now to get the right guy, money no object either, and now with Round on board to give his advice. I'm excited. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

It's still very, very early into the rebuild. It doesn't excuse RDM in my opinion, that was a complete **** mess on the pitch. However off it we appear to be building a stable model, something that we rightly derided Lerner for and he's providing the funds that Lerner most definitely would not have done.

We're light on quality in central midfield but not necessarily numbers. Plus I happen to subscribe to idea that the manager is in ultimate control of such things. I also think resting your best centre mid when you have two weeks off coming up, then proceeding to play a central midfield of one might have something to do with our issues so far.

If what we are knocking Xia for here is a poor appointment in RDM then fair enough, let's have that debate. But to throw thinly veiled comparisons to other poor owners at this stage is bonkers. IMO.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

30 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The only mistake he has made so far is that he employed the wrong manager. Granted that is a big mistake but it happens all the time, at plenty of clubs. Under the right manager given what we have spent we could easily have won another 4 or 5 games and be sitting pretty in the top 6. In fact under a different manager with the same squad we could still be sitting in the top 6. Fine margins.

Di Matteo wasn’t some wacky appointment though. A lot of us were happy with the appointment, some of us had doubts, but overall the mood was one of being reasonably pleased. It hasn’t worked out but the owner has quickly acted and the season can still be saved.

He needs to get the next appointment right clearly. It was telling that he felt the appointment of Di Matteo was slightly rushed I’d imagine due to the amount of work any manager would need to do over the summer. I’d like to think we have been considering options for a couple of weeks already and that lessons have been learned.

This next appointment is huge. Everything is in place for a manager to do well here but all that will count for nothing if we again employ the wrong manager. I am reasonably confident Xia won’t make the same mistake twice. If he does then I would agree that questions need to be asked.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The only mistake he has made so far is that he employed the wrong manager. Granted that is a big mistake but it happens all the time, at plenty of clubs. Under the right manager given what we have spent we could easily have won another 4 or 5 games and be sitting pretty in the top 6. In fact under a different manager with the same squad we could still be sitting in the top 6. Fine margins.

Di Matteo wasn’t some wacky appointment though. A lot of us were happy with the appointment, some of us had doubts, but overall the mood was one of being reasonably pleased. It hasn’t worked out but the owner has quickly acted and the season can still be saved.

He needs to get the next appointment right clearly. It was telling that he felt the appointment of Di Matteo was slightly rushed I’d imagine due to the amount of work any manager would need to do over the summer. I’d like to think we have been considering options for a couple of weeks already and that lessons have been learned.

This next appointment is huge. Everything is in place for a manager to do well here but all that will count for nothing if we again employ the wrong manager. I am reasonably confident Xia won’t make the same mistake twice. If he does then I would agree that questions need to be asked.

Im not - he was blinded by CL win and could easily be blinded by the short term sucess of Wagner - very easily IMO

• Like 1

How anyone can be criticising the current owner is beyond me. People have very short memories - this guy rescued us from someone who had totally lost interest in the club.

The appointment of RDM was generally well received and seen as an astute appointment along with Clarke as assistant. I can't think of a single pundit or anyone in the game who said it was a bad decision at the time, and even now the media focus is on how poorly we have done under RDM, rather than asking why he was appointed in the first place - and I think this says a lot as it would be very easy for the media to try build up negativity towards Dr Tony, as they have done with many other foreign owners.

Having said that, there was of course a small fraction of supporters who were against the RDM appointment and they can now rejoice that they were right, but again, I don't put any blame at the owners door, I was right behind the appointment at the time. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

Im not - he was blinded by CL win and could easily be blinded by the short term sucess of Wagner - very easily IMO

I don't think that's very fair. Di Matteo has/had a lot going for him on paper. More than 'just' a Champions League win(!)

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think that's very fair. Di Matteo has/had a lot going for him on paper. More than 'just' a Champions League win(!)

Really ? - hes never done more than a season and a bit anywhere. 

The only comfort i took from his appointment was his promotion with WBA. 

A duff appointment from the outset. I d like to say predictable - but he was even worse than i feared.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â