Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, blandy said:

me too and he's right. The only difference between the old days and the new ways is that the communication is direct, rather than via favoured hacks, and that there's a more open feel to it, less formal. Football fans "invest" so much time and money and emotion into their clubs, that a club responding, a bit, in kind is to be welcomed. 

I think this is spot on.  Back in the day there was plenty of criticism dished out - suggesting players move on, get themselves fit, etc but it was mostly indirect and put out in the press.  Fergie in particular was always at it.  

I think Tony's at the forefront of what we will see more and more over the next few years, it's just that 'football people' are (massive and sweeping generalisation) pretty luddite.

I'm generally in favour - the good outweighs the bad by some margin.  For me the Holloway spat was a bit low rent and the Gabby one unnecessary, but Villa is his new baby and he's heavily invested in it so he's bound to be a bit touchy about things.  I imagine in a year's time he'll be a little more circumspect - but I hope not too much. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm confident that he's genuine and that feeling is worth much more than the occasional misguided rant, don't you think?

Yes - I agree with that absolutely.   

Bennett I was fine with.  #banter can be easily misconstrued in 140 characters - it's a tricky path to tread.  And everyone will have their own threshold for the misguided part , but as I said the good far outweighs the bad for me.

• Like 2

Anyone else suffering from withdrawal, getting a little bored now that the transfer window is closed?

Also not really feeling the international break either after the Euro's and no Zlatan in the Swedish national side anymore.

Seems a bit pointless really, I just wan't to get on with the season.

Anyway, Xia tweeted anything about Gabby recently?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Exactly.

Don't have an issue with him being very active on Twitter as it's a great source of information 'from the horses mouth' so to speak.

But that doesn't mean that some of his tweets don't leave a sour taste from time to time.

i take the view you have to take the rough with the smooth.....not all of any form of communication is to our liking, because it is almost impossible to be happy with everyone else's opinion on everything they write.

If the opinion is.......it is best he makes no tweets to ensure that the odd one that offends can be avoided....then that needs to be fully explained.

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Mostly agree with your post but I personally though the Holloway ding dong was just a bit of #banter. I enjoyed it and I get the impression Holloway took it in good spirits, bearing in mind he once called us the half arsed club who used to be famous. 

I think Tony is far more intelligent than some might imagine. That particular spat for example, it put him on the map. The press took notice, the fans took notice. Tony landed.

The stuff regarding Joe Bennett, the fans now have utmost faith in him to get the best deal possible for Aston Villa at all times, to put the club first. Combine that with the shaming of Agbonlahor, he's wrestling power back from the players, even if it is only superficially. 

Some people suppose that he tweets without thinking. Very occasionally, maybe, but the message he is attempting to convey and the culture he is trying to create always remain the same. I'm confident that he's genuine and that feeling is worth much more than the occasional misguided rant, don't you think?

On the money!

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

If the opinion is.......it is best he makes no tweets to ensure that the odd one that offends can be avoided....then that needs to be fully explained.

No. The opinion is definitely not that. I thought that was obvious from:

Don't have an issue with him being very active on Twitter as it's a great source of information 'from the horses mouth' so to speak.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just hope it doesn't get to a point where if we lose consistent games xia is going to comment about individual players negativity. That should remain behind closed doors in my opinion

Lets wait until it happens ( on a regular basis) and comment accordigly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

No. The opinion is definitely not that. I thought that was obvious from:

Fine,

then I miss the overall point.....because that is not what the majority seem to be saying.

How on earth, can we be selective as what tweets are ok and others are not.

Thats his call.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Fine,

then I miss the overall point.....because that is not what the majority seem to be saying.

How on earth, can we be selective as what tweets are ok and others are not.

Thats his call.

:D

OK, i'll put it in a nutshell for you:

- I like Dr T

- I like that Dr T tweets and has a good channel of communication with the fans

- I don't always like or agree with what he tweets, however I certainly don't think he should stop tweeting

It's really not that difficult to grasp.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, blandy said:

me too and he's right. The only difference between the old days and the new ways is that the communication is direct, rather than via favoured hacks, and that there's a more open feel to it, less formal. Football fans "invest" so much time and money and emotion into their clubs, that a club responding, a bit, in kind is to be welcomed. 

This.

I was thinking it's not good to comment on players etc and he should decist until I thought about it some more. 

And obviously in "normal" businesses it would be catastrophic but football is not a normal business.

Criticism of players,  other clubs and personalities by owners,  managers and players has been commonplace for years,  as someone said Fergie was a master of it.  It just used to happen in newspapers or on telly or radio interviews.  Just like pretty much everything else in life it's moved online and become more immediate with social media. Same song different format. 

Imagine if tinternet and twatter had been invented 50 years earlier.  How do people think Dave Whelan would have raised comment on us trying to poach Martinez after growing up with social media?

Read the numerous posts on his twitter activity and although I can appreciate it is a huge difference from how the previous regime communicated the twitter posts don't bother me. In fact I find it quite amusing and take it for what it is - football is a sport and is meant to be fun.

In my opinion the much more important issue is how the owner has backed the manager and invested serious money in an attempt to make us competitive again. Add that to him trying to implement a new philosophy and actually trying to address years and years of neglect/problems.

Keep up the good work Dr T!

14 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

- I like Dr T

- I don't always like or agree with what he tweets, however I certainly don't think he should stop tweeting

Pretty much where I'm at though my stance on disliking some of his tweets has lessened somewhat recently.

I love that he wants absolutely what is best for the club and he's putting up on that front and then some. Not just financially but with his talk, too. That's what being a fan is about; **** anyone else and what they say or how they feel, I only care about Aston Villa.

I think it's been so long since we've had an owner like that and such a character in our club that it's been a bit of a shock to the system which initially might have felt wrong. Now I couldn't be happier with the communication he gives us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Ultimately it's Dr Xia's club and his twitter account - he can do whatever he wants. With a billion or so quid in the bank I'm sure he really gives a toss what people say about how he speaks to his staff. 

He will definitely give a toss about how the fans feel about him. It's not just a line they spin when they say the supporters are the lifeblood on a football club. We are the most loyal customers of any business and the support and financial contributions of the he fans make or break sporting clubs.

As for being able to do what he wants, sure, he could, but it wouldn't be wise due to the potential repercussions much in the same way you could go and rob a bank but there's always the downside that you'd probably get caught and pay the price.

Tony also has a responsibility as this club's figurehead as he is representative of everything Aston Villa. Fortunately he's a smart guy but charmingly excitable. I think we're in safe hands.

Edited by Ginko

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

- I like Dr T

Well, for me, you state the obvious.....but thanks for making me aware.

but that is just your view.....right, some are saying, no to tweets, per se

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â