England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

I heard on the radio this morning "Sam Allardyce pictured leaving Deputy Chief of the FA David Gill's house"

Do the British press never learn? Leave them alone FFS. It no wonder any top class manager would run a mile.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd have rather kept Hodgson than bring in Allardyce.

Anybody in the street could have done a better job than Hodgson. Sam wont take no messing. He wont build a team around a has-been player or pick out of form players. 

Sorry but the appointment of Sam Allardyce as England manager would signify that the FA have given up on England being a competitive force in international football and accepted our fate as a lower ranking side never looking to win a tournament, Sad days

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sorry but the appointment of Sam Allardyce as England manager would signify that the FA have given up on England being a competitive force in international football and accepted our fate as a lower ranking side never looking to win a tournament, Sad days

I 100% dis-agree.

• Like 2

i hope he drops sterling from the first squad, gets slaughtered in the press and just turns round smiles and says "i couldnt give a **** what anyone thinks, no one wants me here anyway"

could be the shake up we need, could give him £4m a year to pick the top teams underperforming players, hard to tell

I don't think he's a terrible choice. I could give a shit about the style of football, that's a lazy argument as per my usual train of thought on the subject of "good" football.

I think there are better choices out there, but if the FA are determined to goo English, I'm not sure who is a better choice than Allardyce.

• Like 1

He isn't going to do anything revolutionary in terms of dropping players, in fact I'd expect him to favor the same old faces moreso than Hodgson. A pointless appointment that will be of no consequence on the English national team's development whatsoever.

He should've got the job in 2006 imo.

Not saying he'd have been amazing but remember McClaren couldn't even qualify for euro 2008 which is bonker as that that time likes of Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand were all between 27-29 so very much at their peaks which was reflected in the performances in the champions league that season.

I remember at the time one of the rumours that the FA didn't want to give him the job was that he wanted to drop Beckham (might've been MON actually). McClaren did it anyway.

I wonder if Rooney is for the chop from the squad? Think that would get him a lot of good will and let's face it there are many better strikers around than Rooney nowadays and he certainly isn't some top class central midfielder. 

Allardyce is more likely to reinstate Rooney as a striker than drop with from the squad. But to be fair that's fair enough because he's still one of England's best players, even if he isn't as good as he used to be.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he's a terrible choice. I could give a shit about the style of football, that's a lazy argument as per my usual train of thought on the subject of "good" football.

I think there are better choices out there, but if the FA are determined to goo English, I'm not sure who is a better choice than Allardyce.

Most teams in this awful tournament have played boring, behind the ball defensive football.

It really isn't the worst thing in international football to be defensively secure and be strong on set pieces, England certainly need to do that again.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Allardyce is more likely to reinstate Rooney as a striker than drop with from the squad. But to be fair that's fair enough because he's still one of England's best players, even if he isn't as good as he used to be.

Despite the garbage they produced in this tournament, I'd still have Kane, Sturridge, Vardy all ahead of him. You've also got Rashford as a legitimate option now and if Carroll can stay fit he'll be making the squad next season.

Rooney is yesterdays man upfront, let's see how often he plays there for Man. United this season there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is more or less my line of thoughts. If we are looking at an English manager who else is there, I can only think of Bruce unless we give Hoddle another chance? Allardyce is a manager who I think is able to get the best from what he is given, he may not always do it in the conventional manner that purists like, but he will find a way to get a result, he will have a plan. Which is more than can be said about us under Hodgson. We need to accept that our players are not technically proficient as the other top European countries, and until they can improve that level in the English players we need to figure out a way to equalise that difference.

• Like 2

Eddie Howe is along the lines of what the FA want imo but 2 years too early for him.

If the job had been available this time last year Gary Monk would've been a contender and now he'll probably last a few months at Leeds.

He's pragmatic, which is what England need in the short term while they (hopefully) behind the scenes put in place a long term strategy to develop quality technical footballers. For the time being the best hope they have is that Pep gets Citeh to buy up any half-decent English talent and coaches them into good international footballers while Poch carries on with what he's doing at Spurs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Most teams in this awful tournament have played boring, behind the ball defensive football.

It really isn't the worst thing in international football to be defensively secure and be strong on set pieces, England certainly need to do that again.

Exactly.

Like I always say, fans only hate boring football if it doesn't get results.

If Big Sam had us playing boring football and we won the world cup, nobody would give a flying ****.

• Like 1

but Sam like Hodgson isnt an adventurous manager. 0-0 vs Slovakia or 2-1 down to Iceland I dont see him as a man that will make instinctive attacking subs to change the game

on other hand I dont think he would put up with nonsense attitude from players like Sterling and Hart among others though Andy Carroll will definite be a player happy with it

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Sam like Hodgson isnt an adventurous manager. 0-0 vs Slovakia or 2-1 down to Iceland I dont see him as a man that will make instinctive attacking subs to change the game

on other hand I dont think he would put up with nonsense attitude from players like Sterling and Hart among others though Andy Carroll will definite be a player happy with it

England don't need an "adventurous" manager. It's the last thing they need actually, trying to be adventurous is what bought Roy down. They need a manager to get the most out of what he has. Sam has done this time and time again throughout his career. 

• Like 1