England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

On 09/07/2016 at 08:06, maqroll said:

Klinsmann in talks with the FA, lol

I think Klinsmann gets way to much credit for the German team of the last decade or so, maybe FA have fallen into that trap as well?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

He's done a decent job as USA manager hasn't he? 

Mixed bag. Some good results, some awful, some dressing room turmoil, perplexing tactics and team selection. They say he's done good things for the Federation, trying to establish uniformity in up to date training and coaching methods from the youth level up. That could be his ultimate positive legacy, especially as so many American kids are beginning to really understand how to play the game, and we have no shortage of young athletes. With all the concussions in the NFL, I think more and more parents are pushing their kids to soccer. But as for the England job, I think he's just being polite and listening to what the FA is saying, but I doubt he wants to leave SoCal. I can see him managing an MLS side next.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He's done a decent job as USA manager hasn't he? 

His competitive record is worse than the previous 2 managers who weren't very good. Supposedly done some big overhaul of their youth, but he's still mostly selecting the same old players. I guess we'll see in time. But if it's the behind the scenes work we're going after him for - surely we should wait to see if he's actually done a good job with that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ryan Shawcross will be praying for big Sam to take over. Still England's best CB in my eyes but Roy completely discarded him.

He is too busy hiding under the duvet now Zlatan has come to the PL.

• Like 1

Some discussion about the vacant managers job on TalkShite this morning. It was being reported the Klinsmann wants to see the USA job through to at least the World Cup and that Big Sam was being 'spoken' to this week too. They weren't sure if they were speaking to Sam as an interview or whether it was for advice about what he thinks England should do.

I always love this fantasy England have they must copy the tournament winners after a poor campaign...in Euro 2000 it was France, then it was Spain and possession based football then it was a little bit of Germany and now it's Portugal....errr o.k.

Seriously I'd give Big Sam the job.

When you look at Portugal and Iceland neither have played that great possession based football but both have been organised and that can get you far in major tournaments. Even Wales knew their system like the back of their hand.

England don't. They need to find a coherent formation that suits EVERYONE rather than shoe-horning past it players like Rooney into the team, get the defence organised (easier said than done with the personnel available) and maybe then you have the template for the players in the final third to win the game as England do actually have some decent players in the forward positions. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

If they appointed Klinsmann that would be the final straw for me with England, not that I've much time for them now.

wasnt the euros enough?! i have given up on these losers. you can get pep, but if you have losers and bottlers going to get nowhere.

tbh i think it will be allardyce

Eh, you support your team through the good and bad. Villa just had the worst season ever, I'm not going to give up on them. Let's not pretend like Villa players fought hard and lost a battle, the entire squad combined put about as much effort in as Joe Hart did.