Cologne / Köln, Germany

hogso

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Any tips or advice? Me and my 22year old nephew so will have a few drinks no doubt!

Drink loads of Kolsch in little glasses, which ensures that it doesn't get too flat while it's sat in front of you. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2024 at 01:04, jackbauer24 said:

So... Anything changed in last eight years?!

There Friday morning til Monday evening as a base for the Villa game in Dortmund in mid-August.

Staying pretty central (Maritim Hotel) and flying in; looks like train might make more sense than Uber from airport.

Any tips or advice? Me and my 22year old nephew so will have a few drinks no doubt!

Thanks @villa4europe for stuff in Game thread!

If the Lindt Museum is still going, it's an absolute must-see.  They have a two storey-tall chocolate fountain you can dunk a wafer in, but it's not oiled down, it's just pure chocolate.

Also Lukas Podolski's Kebab Shop, if that's still going.  I think so, it might even be a chain now, sure I walked past one in 'Gladbach last time I was over (a bold choice for a location, that one!).

image.jpeg.34b828fa3303efea872b9d6a4eb88f62.jpeg

Christ Gareth, this is why you're fat. 😬

Edited by GarethRDR
Self-loathing.
  • Thanks 1

Yeah it's still going, you can get microwave podolski kebabs for at home too, it's ok, I have the problem that they pre mix their salad and my missus doesn't eat onion so she won't go there, if you're talking the big chains then he's fine so is haus des doner 

But while you're here you either want to try a proper Turkish restaurant somewhere like venlostrasse or there's a big Turkish restaurant area over the river in mulheim or at least go beef kebab cos I've never seen that in the UK

I think podolskis ice cream shops have all closed down though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

tagging @villa4europe but anyone else who can offer advice would be appreciated

heading to germany & austria for the markets in deceber. fly to frankfurt, day trip to heidelburg, train to nurnberg, day trip from there to rothenburg ob der tauber, then heading to munich, salzburg and flying home from vienna

itinary is sorted, hotels, flights etc. the bit i'm looking to assitance on is the trains. the inter city trains seem fairly straightforward...book early and it's cheaper and dont think a Bahn discount card will be worth the 60+ EUR outlay.

it seems like the deutschland ticket seems the way forward for our day trips to heidelberg and rothenburg ob der tauber, plus generally s-bahning and busing around munich as the local trains seem silly expensive. 49 EUR for a month of unlimited local travel seems too good to be true...is it? any other tips and tricks you can offer would be appreciated!

Know Swedes who had problem with cancelling the Deutschland Ticket so payed for two months. But seems straight-forward now in the app.

Should work better now. Think it was required with 3 months at least when they introduced it.

Nah it's true, they introduced it during rona and it stuck afterwards, you just can't use it on the ICE bullet trains 

Not sure if it covers Salzburg and Vienna though, there's also a Bayern ticket which I know does cover Salzburg 

Good trip too, covering some great places, Frankfurt is rough though! Round by the main train station is basically hamsterdam from the wire, try and find the horse bar there, mental place (I'll try and get the name)

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

tagging @villa4europe but anyone else who can offer advice would be appreciated

heading to germany & austria for the markets in deceber. fly to frankfurt, day trip to heidelburg, train to nurnberg, day trip from there to rothenburg ob der tauber, then heading to munich, salzburg and flying home from vienna

itinary is sorted, hotels, flights etc. the bit i'm looking to assitance on is the trains. the inter city trains seem fairly straightforward...book early and it's cheaper and dont think a Bahn discount card will be worth the 60+ EUR outlay.

it seems like the deutschland ticket seems the way forward for our day trips to heidelberg and rothenburg ob der tauber, plus generally s-bahning and busing around munich as the local trains seem silly expensive. 49 EUR for a month of unlimited local travel seems too good to be true...is it? any other tips and tricks you can offer would be appreciated!

How long is the trip for? Seems a lot to fit in for a week for example. Also for me Frankfurt is a nothing city, wouldnt stay too long there.

The Deutschland ticket is a subscription ticket and i think you have to sign up for a minimum 12 months. Each region has a value travel ticket which is not pricey so while not 49 euros cheap can travel for a decent price

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

How long is the trip for? Seems a lot to fit in for a week for example. Also for me Frankfurt is a nothing city, wouldnt stay too long there.

The Deutschland ticket is a subscription ticket and i think you have to sign up for a minimum 12 months. Each region has a value travel ticket which is not pricey so while not 49 euros cheap can travel for a decent price

we're doing 10 days, couple of nights in each place...and yes, frankfurt is simply to fly into and meet some work colleagues from there for a drink in the evening. market looks nice though.

thanks for that - i knew it was subscription i was just planning to cancel as soon as we got home but didn't realise it was minimum 12 months. knew there would be a catch.

edit: looking at it, it does say you can cancel monthly and doesn't seem to say anything about minimum 12 months, unless there's some very small print somewhere that i've not seen

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/regional/deutschland-ticket

You can cancel your Deutschlandticket subscription by the 10th of each month to the end of the calendar month. The best way to do this is to use our subscription portal or the "Cancel subscription" function in the DB Navigator below your mobile phone ticket.

Edited by tomav84

You can definitely have a drink in Frankfurt! Loads of Irish bars here 

Gute stute is the horse bar, pop in there for a beer if you are near, you'll know why I call it the horse bar....

The local Frankfurt beers, binding and schoefhoffer or something like that are both piss, worst beer in Germany 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â