Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

46 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well thanks I do at least properly understand why you hate the guy now !

Okay,so not a bully then, but sometimes unprofessional.  I agree.

So all the stuff about his character boils down to not much really. 2 incidents in a, I don't know, 6 year Managerial career. Fair enough if that's what floats your boat.

But really its his achievements.

Well, he's won League 1 title and Championship title with Leicester, and got to 2 Championship play offs.  You say they were woeful last season.  When they beat Man United 5-3 ?  First team ever to come back from 2 down against Man U in the Premiership.......like us you say !!! since when !!

Another way of looking at their 'woeful' record is to say that the ONLY time in 5 years managing Leicester when they didn't do well was that bad run they had from about a third of the way through the season.  For 4 years before that and 2/3 of that season he did a very good job results wise. (Yes they did, 40 points from 27 games either side of the run of 10 losses). And look at them now, really a continuation of what he had already done - that's why people link him so readily to their current success, it follows on, it doesn't stand alone.

So hopefully I have answered what is puzzling you. Those who are happy enough to see him considered (no more than that, just be given a fair hearing ) think he has an excellent, up to date, record, and can see past his belligerent manner (and indeed wonder whether it might even help, we are such a feeble Club). Those who don't, have seen 2 (3?) incidents too many (!) and don't rate his record, to the extent that they have utter contempt for the man.

I know which seems the balanced view IMO.

Those are pretty big incidents and shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand. There are probably others as well that I either don't know about or haven't remembered yet.

And don't give me this "I've got the more balanced view" rubbish. Stevo nailed it earlier - Pearson's achievements are good but nothing amazing and when you take his temperament into account (which despite what you want to believe is relevant) it's just not worth it in some people's opinions.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2016 at 13:21, bobzy said:

WillHill odds update...

...Pearson now favourite at 6/4, Moyes at 2/1.  8s upwards for anyone else.

Bruce is continuing to be backed.  Yesterday, these were Pearson 6/4, Moyes 10/3, Bruce 7/2...

...this morning, Bruce is second favourite.  Pearson 6/4, Bruce 2/1, Moyes 7/2, McCarthy 8/1 - 16s and upwards for anyone else.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree if they get promoted then they won't come here.

But there is Dyche, Bruce, Karanka, Hughton, McCarthy etc.

They can't all get promoted, and any of them would have a decent crack at getting us up, imo. Chris Hughton not getting Brighton up, for example, wouldn't mean he's done a bad job.

well Hughton and McCarthy dont have strong squads and are overachieving if anything with their squads

I dont think I could take Bruce as manager, he isnt brilliant and is a chequebook manager for me plus we are already a laughing stock instead of Paddy Power taking piss out of us everyweek with him in charge

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Mick McCarthy would be the final nail in the coffin for me. I would be done with aston villa. 

I've seen this a couple of times. I won't be protesting for him (!) but I do wonder why people feel that way? He's outspoken and he's a dingle, but his record at Championship level, our level, is excellent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

So if people had a choice out of the current 2 favourites who would you pick? Pearson or Bruce?

Personally, I'd go for Pearson.

A bit like asking whether I would prefer to be executed by firing squad or hanging!

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The simple difference is, Mourinho is a very very good manager. What you're failing to see is that the criteria for many isn't that the manager is a nice guy, it's that if he ISN'T a nice guy, then he's good enough to justify it.

Pearson is neither a very good manager, or good enough to justify him being a massive prick.

He's a decent manager. He'd probably do an ok job. But he wouldn't do such a good job that it justifies "the way he is".

For example, for me Moyes is the standout candidate. Head and shoulders above everybody else. Now if he was the way Pearson is, then you would have a point. He'd be a complete psychotic prick with no respect for his own fans who assaults members of the opposition team, but he'd be by far the best man for the job. So you could then say "well he IS a dickhead, but he's also a very good manager who is by far the standout candidate"

BUT, Pearson is not the best man for the job. He's not a standout candidate. Not by a long shot, in my opinion.

So what you're left with is a handful of managers who are all the same sort of standard (Pearson, Hughton, Bruce, Dyche, for example). But of all of them, one is the aforementioned psychopath, and the rest are relatively normal human beings.

And in that scenario, the obvious choice is the non crazy people.

I understand that some people may rate Pearson good enough to justify his personality. Fair enough. They're wrong, imo. But I get that.
But the point I'm trying to get across isn't that people just don't want him because he's not a very nice person. It's because he's also nothing special to justify that. If Nigel Pearson was as good a manager as Mourinho, or any other top manager, then nobody would be batting an eyelid at his personality.

But he isn't. Not even close.

Nigel Pearson is not good enough to justify his personality.

But how do we know how good he is. He hasn't had enough jobs or been in management long enough to form an overall view. Building that Leicester squad, getting them promotion, keeping them up and creating the foundations from which Ranieri has been able them to another level shows his qualities. Its never bothered me whether i liked a person or not. Garde seemed like a very nice man but at the end of the day he failed to get anything out of this crop of players, in many ways when he left the players confidence were in a much lower state than when he joined. I want a manager thats not just tough but can inspire the players. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

But how do we know how good he is. He hasn't had enough jobs or been in management long enough to form an overall view. Building that Leicester squad, getting them promotion, keeping them up and creating the foundations from which Ranieri has been able them to another level shows his qualities. Its never bothered me whether i liked a person or not. Garde seemed like a very nice man but at the end of the day he failed to get anything out of this crop of players, in many ways when he left the players confidence were in a much lower state than when he joined. I want a manager thats not just tough but can inspire the players. 

Being inexperienced is another knock on him, surely?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've seen this a couple of times. I won't be protesting for him (!) but I do wonder why people feel that way? He's outspoken and he's a dingle, but his record at Championship level, our level, is excellent. 

wolves connections aside, which is a big deal for me, that aside, I find him a loathsome individual, completely unlikable. 

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

So if people had a choice out of the current 2 favourites who would you pick? Pearson or Bruce?

Personally, I'd go for Pearson.

Bruce all day long.

He's experienced and sets teams up not to lose. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes Bruce will probably kill Villa off completely

Corrected for you

Not a favoured appointment for me, I think his dislike for Villa is pretty well known too

If it means anything I dont think it will  be Bruce or Pearson,  but what do I know .  It's merely speculation

1 hour ago, lp_villa830 said:

Just wait to see how depressing the transfer speculation thread becomes in the summer. 

Exactly what I'm dreading.  You just know the kind of moaning that's going to happen in here when the realities of being a Championship club shopping in a Championship market hit home and people refuse to accept the links being made and the players being bought.  It's not going to be pretty.

• Like 1