Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

To be fair Rowett has been polishing that turd really well if they lost him I expect it would be flushed.

Seriously no money to spend, owner in jail and journeymen players signed on loans or for free he has done an amazing job.

Not saying he is right for Villa but it will be interesting to see how he does when he eventually leaves.

• Like 3

I don't actually think the Board have refined the criteria so the next manager must be British. They want someone who has experience of the championship, and the prem , and someone who has a record of sorting out a club in a mess. Most (but not all) of the people who tick those boxes will be British.

Its a bit like buying a car  you say 'I want a diesel' 

You don't really want a car than runs on diesel, you want a car that gives MPG , and the engine lasts a while- no someone could show a peterol that does MPG - you'd be interested - But realistically the car that ticks your boxes is going to be diesel.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If we get Martinez I'm done with the club. 

Awful, total fraud of a manager. 

Given the last two appointments he should fit right in

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

:rolleyes:. The Martinez who turned us down twice?

And?

He's horrific.

All of my thoughts on him are detailed in the Everton thread in Other Football.

23 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I think it will be someone that isn't in the news/being pushed by the bookies and their media lapdogs.

Really ?

If it isn't one of Bruce, Moyes, Pearson, Mccarthy, I will be most surprised. Thing the board are going tried and trusted (that doesn't mean no risk - but I don't think they will be jetting in an unknown or up an coming)

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

short term, long term, couldn't give a fig. If we can get someone in who knows how to win games and succeed I'll be as happy as a puppy who's just discovered his testicles. 

In the main I sort of agree I just think short term is not the way to go as it would leave us with another problem in a couple of years and potentially a bigger mess.  Someone to build something here with a blank canvass and know that is what they are doing ,  to get their teeth into it.  Doing that ,  whether handing over willingly or not at the end of your stint,  will take time at the club.  Our issues run deeper than a short term fix

1 hour ago, Richard said:

In the main I sort of agree I just think short term is not the way to go as it would leave us with another problem in a couple of years and potentially a bigger mess.  Someone to build something here with a blank canvass and know that is what they are doing ,  to get their teeth into it.  Doing that ,  whether handing over willingly or not at the end of your stint,  will take time at the club.  Our issues run deeper than a short term fix

I do think our issues run to the depth of the owners pocket, really. investment is fine, lack of it is bad. We've got great facilities - and now I do think we have a competent board structure put in place, so the issues at the moment are the lack of money and crap players. We've got rid of some people considered at fault for the situation, and maybe they are but if we still invest naff all in the players, progress will be difficult. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard said:

short term appointment for one or two seasons is completely the wrong way to go

It can work very well if the recruitment is right. 3 other clubs have shown the required nous (albeit one was backed into a corner) when it's the right time to let a manger go for a better one.

Adkins, Big Sam and Pearson all got their teams promoted into the Premier League. In fact, Adkins got them promoted from League One, but once consolidated in the Prem they were all given the chop.

It's what we should have done with MON on our terms, and what we should do again if we take someone on like Bruce, McCarthy or Pearson and they manage to get us back up.

• Like 1