Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I can't see Brucey dropping down a division now even if his future is uncertain at Hull. If he stays for a few months and gets sacked off he could probably get a lower placed Premier League job next season like Albion or Palace.

I think he would be happy to move to us if we wanted him and if his future at Hull remained uncertain despite getting them promoted for a second time. I guess he might anticipate a huge Brucie Bonus for getting us promoted next year though. ;)  

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If Bruce come here we should get Lee Hendrie as a coach. As they really get on with each other.

isnt Lee Hendrie still a club ambassador?

Steve Bruce would be a very good appointment.

If people look past his Blues connections, he's actually a very good manager for the sort of level we're at.

We'd have to sack him in 3 seasons, but he'd be right for us now.

• Like 1

Fistface is another Mon but not as good gets teams to a certain stage then leaves them in a mess. look at Blose, Sunderland and Wigan. Plays crap football and signs some right crap players. How many trophies has fistface won in his long career? Big fat zero, even Mcleish has won more than him. Even Pearson would be a better appointment. 

Look at fistfaces win ratio its pants

Club From Until Hons Games per Honour W D L Total Win%
Crystal Palace 2001 2001 0 n/a 11 2 5 18 61.11
Hull City 2012 Now 1 201 82 44 75 201 40.80
Sheffield United 1998 1999 0 n/a 22 15 18 55 40.00
Huddersfield Town 1999 2000 0 n/a 25 16 25 66 37.88
Wigan Athletic 2001 2001 0 n/a 3 2 3 8 37.50
Birmingham City 2001 2007 2 135 100 70 100 270 37.04
Wigan Athletic 2007 2009 0 n/a 23 17 28 68 33.82
Sunderland 2009 2011 0 n/a 29 28 41 98 29.59

Big fat no to fistface

No thank you

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Steve Bruce has won promotion to the Premier League 4 times.

If people are after a "needs to get out the division" kind of manager, it's Bruce.

Yes but he took the team down the previous season before getting them back up.  This championship experience is bollocks you want to stay in the championship employ a manager and players that are that level. If you have higher aspirations you take a gamble on someone else.  I want a plan in place for the future not just the now so it's a no from me on Potato Head.

Good managers don't have multiple promotions as they keep their team up or are poached for a better job at a more established club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yes but he took the team down the previous season before getting them back up.  This championship experience is bollocks you want to stay in the championship employ a manager and players that are that level. If you have higher aspirations you take a gamble on someone else.  I want a plan in place for the future not just the now so it's a no from me on Potato Head.

Good managers don't have multiple promotions as they keep their team up or are poached for a better job at a more established club.

This boils down, again, to the difference between 'good at PL level' and 'good at Championship level'. Bruce has a lot of promotions because he's good at Championship level. He also has a lot of shipwrecks at the higher level because he's not good there. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This boils down, again, to the difference between 'good at PL level' and 'good at Championship level'. Bruce has a lot of promotions because he's good at Championship level. He also has a lot of shipwrecks at the higher level because he's not good there. 

but if we are going to get large investment I dont want Bruce near the money. spunked a fortune at Sunderland who are still cleaning up his mess, spent record Hull budget in 2014 when he got them relegated, took a big budget sha team down with Heskey, Melchiot, Gronkjaer etc in the squad

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yep i simply do not buy into the philosophy of get a manager for now and lets see what happens in two or three years and we'll look again.  Short termism stinks.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yep i simply do not buy into the philosophy of get a manager for now and lets see what happens in two or three years and we'll look again.  Short termism stinks.

It's the future of football, imo.

Long term managers are brilliant if you can find them. But it's become very rare.

All it does is encourage gambles. Clubs avoid experienced manager who have a ceiling because they ultimately want to go beyond that ceiling. But to do that they employ a gamble of a manager who MIGHT have a higher ceiling, but with nothing to base that on.

Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish were all "long term" appointments, and all risks. None of them paid off.

The club needs a long term plan/philosophy. The manager has to fit into that, but not for the duration.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the future of football, imo.

Long term managers are brilliant if you can find them. But it's become very rare.

All it does is encourage gambles. Clubs avoid experienced manager who have a ceiling because they ultimately want to go beyond that ceiling. But to do that they employ a gamble of a manager who MIGHT have a higher ceiling, but with nothing to base that on.

Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish were all "long term" appointments, and all risks. None of them paid off.

The club needs a long term plan/philosophy. The manager has to fit into that, but not for the duration.

Jose Mourinho has a shelf life of 3 years but he'll win trophies. How many managers last that long these days? It's the club philosophy that needs addressing so we don't go back to square one everytime. Under Lerner we have flip flopped from one idea to the next we need a long term plan. 

• Like 1

Just now, dn1982 said:

Jose Mourinho has a shelf life of 3 years but he'll win trophies. How many managers last that long these days? It's the club philosophy that needs addressing so we don't go back to square one everytime. Under Lerner we have flip flopped from one idea to the next we need a long term plan. 

Exactly.

The club needs to think long term in terms of plan and philosophy. But the manager doesn't necessarily have to be long term. 

The last four managers of this football club reads very unpleasantly. 

I'd like to read about a Villa manager where the name alone doesn't make me cringe: Pearson, Bruce, Mccarthy, Di Matteo = I know which one of those makes me cringe the least. 

I agree with the comments above, football is evolving now and it's very rare any manager stays a long time. However, as long as we have a club philosophy, you can easily move onto the next manager. Look at the likes of Southampton and Swansea, they have replaced their managers who can build on what is already there, they are constantly rebuilding a philosophy/style...under Lerner that is all we have done. Mon- Houllier different Houllier- McL different McL - Lambert different, Lambert - Sherwood different Sherwood - Garde different. You get the picture. Managers these days don't have long shelf life's at clubs.