Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

pearson to me says the board want someone to come in and sort out our under performing players

i dont... i want them gone, its the only solution IMO getting in someone to shout at them isnt going to change anything

Yep, that's my big worry. Obviously we can't get rid of everyone we want to but there are a core of players that absolutely must go or at the very least be isolated and it would be madness to try and accommodate them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So Pearson now odds on. Good choice if its him. I just hope he is given time and patience.

What makes you think he'd be a good choice Paul? (genuinely interested).

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I can't speak for Paul but the general consensus seems to be that he'll sort out the players but besides his hard-man exterior I've seen little evidence to suggest that's the case.

• Like 1

I don't think Pearson is the right apppointment and I think he'll fail in the job. It reminds me of the time Newcastle appointed Graeme Souness to "sort out the bad eggs" in the dressing room and it ended in disaster. Pearson's a similar aggro, arrogant character as Souness. Not for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I can't speak for Paul but the general consensus seems to be that he'll sort out the players but besides his hard-man exterior I've seen little evidence to suggest that's the case.

FWIW I think he'll be a disaster and I cannot stand the man. I'm just looking to get a viewpoint from the people that want him here.

• Like 1

Remi is no where near as hard as Pearson. Pearson will tell them what he thinks and how he wants things to go, if they don't like it they'll be off, not still in the squad.

Agree with a few posts on here about getting behind the new gaffer no matter who it is. 

With all due respect comments such as 'if so and so gets the job then im done with villa' make me question your love for the club. 

Reality is if we are top of the table at xmas everyone with love the new manager and all these comments will be forgotten. 

I cant work out who I want as manager all I know is I will get behind them whether I like them or not. Hopefully a year from now we  are discussing our imminent return to the top flight. 

• Like 1

Pearson got a team promoted from the championship and kept them in the premier league.  That's exactly what we need to happen over the next two years.  I'd be happy with the appointment and look forward to seeing what he'll do.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

You also missed the part where i put potential and long term but ignore that for the sake of your argument by all means

So can you explain why you think the two managers you mentioned who as yet have not managed to get a team promoted to the Premiership have more potential than Pearson?

I don't like Pearson as a bloke in the slightest, but I dunno, I just have a feeling he's the right type of manager for where we are right now. I guess i'm hoping he can re-create something similar to what he did at Leicester as there's no denying he put together a very good squad there. Not my first choice, but will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt if he does become Villa manager. 

If he gets rid of Gabby then I'll be happy enough. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The reasons Tro has outlined in this thread. 

1. His recent success of getting Leicester promotion and keeping them in the Premier League against all odds.
2. He is a strong man that wont take any messing from the players.
3. He is still young enough and hungry enough to build something at Villa the way he did at Leicester. 

Some of the other guys mentioned like Bruce, Moyes and McCarthy have been around the block too long. I want someone with experience who has still got the drive in him to succeed.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Remi is no where near as hard as Pearson. Pearson will tell them what he thinks and how he wants things to go, if they don't like it they'll be off, not still in the squad.

In interviews? Clearly not. I wouldn't be surprised though if Garde was more disciplined and ruthless behind the scenes than Pearson.

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Who would you appoint given the opportunity?

Moyes would have been my first choice but I accept it may always have been a long-shot. My point, however, is that if I were hired to be professionally involved a managerial selection, I'd want to draw up a shortlist based on as extensive a search as possible. Something this board, in their own words, never had any intention of doing.

16 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'll get behind whoever it is but if it is Pearson to me it's the club once again going for the cheaper option with a manager appointed to work on a shoestring

Who would be the "expensive" option? 

Whoever the manager is next season is going to get more time and support than anyone would have from this season simply because we're going to have a squad closer to the top than the bottom and therefore going to win more games. The threat of relegation is(should)n't be there. We can afford to take bigger risks when it comes to young talent. We have the opportunity to offload overpaid bloat due to their ego's and reduced contracts. For me the job is much easier than the task to save us from relegation. Whoever it is will benefit from all that in the hisotry books when compared to Sherwood and Garde.

I understand the clamour for a promotion and survival but if the guy doesn't sort out the underlying issues I worry about the long-term future. It's easier to do that in the Championship than it is the Premier League. I think that has to be priority and a promotion should be a secondary goal - although if done right could be a happy consequence of clearing the decks.

Now as much as I doubt it, I'm willing to accept that Pearson could do all three. I would give credit where it was due. That would never change that I think he's a total arsehole, a volatile and unpredictable influence that could turn success into disaster very quickly and I'd still want him replaced. He'd get my 'support' as far as I can see him actively fixing the major problem instead of enabling them. If not, I'd treat him like any other manager I don't like - bitch and moan about him on a forum and omit his name from the 'claret and blue army' songs when I'm at a game.