The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

It goes before Parliament for a vote.

Is this real news? I was under the assumption it had to do that anyway? 

Surely Parliament won't vote "no" after the public stated they wanted to leave?

(I hope they do vote no though!)

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Is this real news? I was under the assumption it had to do that anyway? 

Surely Parliament won't vote "no" after the public stated they wanted to leave?

(I hope they do vote no though!)

I can't see them blocking it entirely, but I can see them pushing back until the government appears to have some sort of plan that stands up to scrutinity

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Surely one of the biggest watersheds in British political history, if parliament decide to defy the will of the electorate.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Can't wait for the Express and Mail to shat blood tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't see them blocking it entirely, but I can see them pushing back until the government appears to have some sort of plan that stands up to scrutinity

That's probably the best possible outcome really (other than voting no which is unlikely imo). 

• Like 1

the referendum question only asked re leaving the union, it didn't state how. MP's who vote against Article 50 would get hammered at the General Election or subject to recalls. As was mentioned somewhere by someone ( excellent memory, me ) the british people didn't vote to be poorer and less well off ( well, technically they did, fnar fnar ^_^). 

Timetable may get delayed, but we will leave the union. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Parliament now have to vote to both trigger Article 50 and approve the post-Brexit deal.

Here's one scenario: "I was pro-Brexit, I voted to trigger Article 50, but this deal is awful. I think we're better in than out."

That approach just became much more politically palatable.

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Surely one of the biggest watersheds in British political history, if parliament decide to defy the will of the electorate.

I don't think they will or that they should. But what they ought to do is make sure that the people doing the actual "leaving" stuff with the EU do a proper job.

The referendum qustion was "remain or Leave" and Leave was the result. That's fine. And while "Brexit means Brexit" is not a bad sound bite, it's not a policy, it's not detail.

Parliament needs to be able to hold May, Fox, Boris and Davies to account for their plans and actions. They can't be and shouldn't be just trusted to do "what's right". We already know that at least 2 of them have a record of doing wrong. One of them is an utter F-wit, all of the are duplicitous and ambitious for themselves over all else. That's a terrible recipe for the people to lead the task of determining our future.

Good decision.

Brexit means Brexit sounds good to Larry from Stockport but there clearly isn't a plan in place. I'm glad we aren't stupid enough to pander to those who are screaming to invoke article 50 tomorrow.

Edited by StefanAVFC

This is just going to draw the whole process out for even longer and create more uncertainty during that time.  We should just let them get on with it, then let it settle, then the parties can run on a manifesto at the next General Election depending on how successful it's been.  

Fox has announced that they'll appeal, it's expected to be heard on December 7th.

If they have a sound plan in place, there is no chance of parliament blocking the implementation of a referendum result. I'm somewhat concerned that they're appealing to avoid parliamentary oversight.

On 29/10/2016 at 14:34, limpid said:

VillaTalk is costing around 25% more to host than six months ago. I pay in USD so it's just mainly exchange rate, not scamming megacorps.

Advertising revenue has increased by about 0%.

Ban the foreigners I say...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

This is just going to draw the whole process out for even longer and create more uncertainty during that time.  We should just let them get on with it, then let it settle, then the parties can run on a manifesto at the next General Election depending on how successful it's been.  

You understand it's not an easily reversible process, right?

"Let's just have a crack and see what happens" is a pretty reckless approach.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â