The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

He flies in by helicopter, then gets picked up in a rolls royce and driven the 100m to the building.

Some of these people either just couldn't give a shit, or are so woefully out of touch they don't think about how they're perceived, and how that impacts the enthusiasm and motivation of their staff.

I used to work for an international company that had a CEO who would only ever come into the office by helicopter, which landed on the roof, shaking the building. Everyone used to call it the rocket polisher alarm.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Some of these people either just couldn't give a shit, or are so woefully out of touch they don't think about how they're perceived, and how that impacts the enthusiasm and motivation of their staff.

I used to work for an international company that had a CEO who would only ever come into the office by helicopter, which landed on the roof, shaking the building. Everyone used to call it the rocket polisher alarm.

They probably think it drives people to work hard and become that helicopter rocket polisher. It doesn't.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Some of them definitely believe that it impresses everyone, that everyone will be talking about how amazing they are to be able to do that. They are very mistaken. 

• Like 1

Brexit means.... being able to take my lid off!!!

In all seriousness though, it shows the pointlessness of it all. We're not affected by this EU legislation, but manufacturers aren't going to produce 2 different types of lid for the same markets, so we end up with them anyway.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Brexit's finest doing Putin's work at home again.

Tearing up the country, whilst ignoring the culpable and con merchants that took us for billions.

Bravo dolts.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In a couple of months' time, the European Union will start imposing its new "Entry-Exit System" (EES) on UK citizens.

That will mean fingerprint and biometric recognition for every British visitor to the EU's Schengen area by the end of this year.

From November 2025 we will have to obtain a de-facto visa for entry in advance, at a cost of €7 (£6) for a three-year permit.

Nobody doubts that EES is going to lead to delays and greater costs for travellers and border control authorities alike.

For example, car passengers arriving at Dover have been told processing could take 15 hours before they get on a ferry.

The UK supported the strengthening of EU borders when it was a member state.

After Brexit, the UK now faces the consequences from the other side of the fence.

Sky News Opinion

😮 Erm - Really? Genuinely hope he's over egging the bolded section.

34 minutes ago, Xann said:

Sky News Opinion

😮 Erm - Really? Genuinely hope he's over egging the bolded section.

Hopefully the new lot in charge of the UK will come to some kind of agreement on it to avoid the inevitable disaster.

15 hours under the Tories would be entirely plausible.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully the new lot in charge of the UK will come to some kind of agreement on it to avoid the inevitable disaster.

15 hours under the Tories would be entirely plausible.

You don't queue for ferries when you have a private helicopter.

• Like 2

Starmer making no secret of the fact that he’s in Germany trying to discuss ways to undo some of the damage of Brexit. Germany are appearing to be cooperative on the subject too. 

It’s interesting he is discussing / negotiating with Germany and not the EU. 

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Starmer making no secret of the fact that he’s in Germany trying to discuss ways to undo some of the damage of Brexit. Germany are appearing to be cooperative on the subject too. 

It’s interesting he is discussing / negotiating with Germany and not the EU. 

Germany the biggest economy in the EU so they will have power and influence.  They also have much skin in the game in the UK as well so will want change.

Honestly fixing our relationship with the EU will improve so much.   I don't think it'll be a big deal either.  A hell of a lot of people now see leaving was a huge mistake and the majority who wanted out probably don't even consider our trading relationship with them.  They just wanted "out" with no conception of what that meant so as long as they can still be told we are "out" they'll just stay in their boxes.

Obviously Farage and co will should a lot but frankly he can **** off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Germany the biggest economy in the EU so they will have power and influence.  They also have much skin in the game in the UK as well so will want change.

100%, I just found the change of strategy interesting. Obviously Boris and co negotiated (badly) directly with the EU and got nowhere.

Starmer has decided to go to Germany, sell proposals to them and then get them to sell it to the EU. New approach, hopefully it works.

It's definitely a good thing to do, but it will be interesting how the general public react to it.

I would imagine any improvements to the economy and the country in general will be ignored by a large portion of the country who will see doing anything positive with the EU as a negative

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's definitely a good thing to do, but it will be interesting how the general public react to it.

I would imagine any improvements to the economy and the country in general will be ignored by a large portion of the country who will see doing anything positive with the EU as a negative

For sure, I wonder if all the talk of huge financial black hole is laying some of the ground work. If they can do some sort of trade deal they can put a number on it and tell the British people it’s worth x amount of billions which won’t need to come via tax rises. Or it will fund social care or NHS waiting list reduction. 

We pay £10b into the EU and get £30b of benefits every year. This will pay for x, y, and z that we don’t have to fund ourselves. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

100%, I just found the change of strategy interesting. Obviously Boris and co negotiated (badly) directly with the EU and got nowhere.

Starmer has decided to go to Germany, sell proposals to them and then get them to sell it to the EU. New approach, hopefully it works.

It's not a new approach or a change of strategy. The years 2017 - 2020 were spent making trips to European capitals for bilateral talks to change the dial. All met with the response that there was no point discussing shared competencies. It's a continuation of the same strategy that May / Davis tried and failed with.

What proposals do you feel that Starmer is "selling" to them?

Just now, ml1dch said:

It's not a new approach or a change of strategy. The years 2017 - 2020 were spent making trips to European capitals for bilateral talks to change the dial. All met with the response that there was no point discussing shared competencies. It's a continuation of the same strategy that May / Davis tried and failed with.

What proposals do you feel that Starmer is "selling" to them?

Everything in the media was talks with the EU. This is definitely a change of approach. He is meeting with Macron tomorrow, again no mention of EU leadership being present.

I’ve no idea what the detail of the talks are but it’s reported as trade, defence, migration plus other things. They also mention “smooth market access”.

Yeah, the people Starmer will piss off by getting closer to the EU are the ones that already think he's a raving Communist, imposing two tier policing and stifling free speech.  They are lost causes, and quite frankly, thick.

• Like 3

Just now, Genie said:

Everything in the media was talks with the EU. This is definitely a change of approach. He is meeting with Macron tomorrow, again no mention of EU leadership being present.

It really, really isn't. I know that you really want it to be, but that doesn't mean that it is.  

• Sad 1

There was a spokesbod for the SPD on the radio this morning, asked about negotiations for a mutually beneficial way forward.

The mood music was very much, that would be nice in the future but let’s not rush it, let’s have a period of time to judge your actions not your rehashed Brexit proposals. 

The EU have political problems in multiple countries, they aren’t just looking at the UK when they consider changes that make life easier for both parties. As ever, if we can leave the golf club and still use the clubhouse and book a game, why would anyone pay to be a member.

We certainly won’t be paying a tenner for £30 of benefits any time soon.

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It really, really isn't. I know that you really want it to be, but that doesn't mean that it is.  

I thought it was a given that this isn’t a done deal. It’s day one of “resetting the relationship with Europe” which is acknowledged from all sides.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â