The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

You know its funny, in the build up to the the vote much was made of a few numpties on social media talking about using pens so the vote couldn't be rigged. But now the vote hasn't gone their way, the remain lot want another vote, or want the government to simply ignore it because those that voted out aren't very intelligent.

I think if remain had won, then the leavers would be claiming conspiracy. In a vote this close the losing side is always going to make a scene!

I'm disappointed with the result but its got to stand. The people have voted and we now need to move forward the best we can. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

According to the CIA World Factbook, in 2015 in the UK, they were;

15-24:- 12.41%

65+: 17.73%

So considering you'd have to shave off 15-17 year olds too, 65+ is significantly bigger.

but the same list shows there were just short of 8 million people in the 15 24 age range, so I would guess that equal numbers in each age range give or take about 5%. So just short of 900,000 each age.

Now then I think that's near enough 5.1m  eligible to vote. but only 36% did, if that was up to 83% as in the pensioners case, that would have meant an extra 47% of them voting or about 2.4m. With 73% reamain they would have had an extra 1.1m votes, just short of a majority. If you do the same calculation for anyone under 40 the remain would have won well

map-Eu-referendum-574756.jpg

I think its clear why the SNP aren't happy. It also suggests that without the Scottish, the referendum result would have been much wider. 

Edited by av1

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

map-Eu-referendum-574756.jpg

I think its clear why the SNP aren't happy. It also suggests that without the Scottish, the referendum result would have been much wider. 

I'm clearly from the wrong country.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Actually drove down that road this weekend on the way to a stag do, before that article.

The conversation was something like

"Is this road new? I don't remember it"

"Yep"

"I bet the EU paid for this!"

*drive past the sign confirming it was built using EU funding*

"Idiots!"

“Well, I know … they built all this,” he says, and motions his head at the impressive facilities that are all around us. “But we put in more money than we get out, don’t we?”

Maybe those questions should have been asked before the vote. Oh well, hopefully Wales enjoys being as much of a destitute shithole as it was before the EU, because I doubt they'll be getting much love from Westminster.

Edited by Davkaus

On 25/06/2016 at 17:42, snowychap said:

When, in a couple of years time (presuming that we are 'outside the EU') and we have Boris Johnson or Andrea Leadson or Michael Gove or Priti Patel as the next Tory PM, remember this advert. If there aren't far fewer people waiting in A&E, if there's a queue to check in, if there aren't two receptionists (in nurses uniforms?) instead of one, if you don't have the doctor come out and greet you with a smile in the reception area or don't have at least two different doctors attending you then please do hold them to account.

And if they can't miraculously cure your clearly quite serious respiratory condition in a single visit.

• Like 1

If, as seems likely, it's going to mean short-term (5 to 10 years) pain, followed by a better long-term future, then it's the younger generation that's better off. At least they'll get there; us old codgers will just get all the shit and then die! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If, as seems likely, it's going to mean short-term (5 to 10 years) pain, followed by a better long-term future, then it's the younger generation that's better off. At least they'll get there; us old codgers will just get all the shit and then die! 

You'll live forever Mooney, have faith :D

Might be a stupid question.

You know all the people who are saying leaving the EU will mean no more muslims and refugees blah blah blah?

Obviously that won't happen, but are they following some warped logic? Does leaving the EU (theoretically) allow us to control our borders more for people coming in from outside of the EU, or have they just completely added 2 and 2 and gotten 7?

I'm not saying we should or would do any of that by the way! I just want to know that if someone tells me they voted leave to stop muslims coming into the country like the gentleman in Stefan's amazing Barnsley video, then I can tell them that leaving the EU doesn't make a blind bit of difference to that, without being incorrect.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Might be a stupid question.

You know all the people who are saying leaving the EU will mean no more muslims and refugees blah blah blah?

Obviously that won't happen, but are they following some warped logic? Does leaving the EU (theoretically) allow us to control our borders more for people coming in from outside of the EU, or have they just completely added 2 and 2 and gotten 7?

I'm not saying we should or would do any of that by the way! I just want to know that if someone tells me they voted leave to stop muslims coming into the country like the gentleman in Stefan's amazing Barnsley video, then I can tell them that leaving the EU doesn't make a blind bit of difference to that, without being incorrect.

Non-EU migration doesn't change at all. Leaving the EU has nothing to do with migration from somewhere like Pakistan. If someone voted Leave to stop the 'dirty Moslems' coming in they're idiots as well as racists.

There's a minor element to which they might have some point insofar as there's nothing stopping an EU country nationalising migrants and therefore affording then EU citizenship and then they'd have the right to circulate, but at that point those people aren't non-EU migrants...

But basically, no. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Like 1

Sorry I have to disagree. 

If someone from Pakistan wants to come here, now we should be able to say we either want and need you, welcome. Or we we don't need you yet, sorry. It used to be the case where we would like you to come but we expect x amount of EU citizens this year and we have to accommodate them first. 

1 minute ago, colhint said:

Sorry I have to disagree. 

If someone from Pakistan wants to come here, now we should be able to say we either want and need you, welcome. Or we we don't need you yet, sorry. It used to be the case where we would like you to come but we expect x amount of EU citizens this year and we have to accommodate them first. 

Given that non-EU migration has outstripped EU migration pretty consistently, I'm not sure that's quite true.

With non EU immigration they have made it harder and costly to come in.For example with marriage visa the UK spouse, the amount they have to earn to be acceptable to cover expenses for 2 people has gone up.Costs of visa and citizenship keeps going up also 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â