The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Half of them don't really want to leave at all. They just like the idea of leaving. Kind of like the leave voters who said their vote was a protest vote, because they though Remain would win.

Boris, for example, doesn't want to Leave, he wants to be seen to be the sort of person who would want to Leave. We're starting to see the gap between these positions.  

• Like 3

An interesting fact just discussed on QT was that only 40% of people between the ages of 18-24 actually voted so if say 70% of this age group had actually voted the I assume that we'd still be in europe. So no good blaming the older voters. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

An interesting fact just discussed on QT was that only 40% of people between the ages of 18-24 actually voted so if say 70% of this age group had actually voted the I assume that we'd still be in europe. So no good blaming the older voters. 

That's assuming that they wouldn't vote leave.

quite true, but these are the turnout figures by age groups i found so its wrong for people to say teh old betrayed the young. 

18-24: 36% 25-34: 58% 35-44: 72% 45-54: 75% 55-64: 81% 65+: 83%

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I'm incredulous that the country has just voted on its most important decision in 45 years, and the government didn't plan for one of only two possible outcomes - and the other one was things staying exactly as they are!

Damn, if only somebody had mentioned in the last few weeks that nobody had a plan of any sort for what actually happens in the event of slightly more than half the country losing their minds.

Still, "Project Fear", eh?

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

I see that as well as admitting they probably won't be able to actually control our borders AND strike an EU trade deal they are now admitting they won't be able to provide the NHS with the kind of money they spouted in the campaign.    It's taken 1 weekend for the holes that sink the ship to appear.

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

There's been nothing but respect for people who can articulate reasonable reasons for voting leave, even if a lot of people don't agree. 

The only people being called racists and idiots are people with racist and idiotic reasons for voting leave.

we have a falsehood here. I have been laughed at, told my opinions are incorrect, totally wrong and even had pictures with a serious racist slant against my posts. 

I have only ever argued about the resource of the UK, food water and land etc.  and how undemocratic the EU is, not all on this thread but most of them were. It got to the point were I thought it was best not to post.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

quite true, but these are the turnout figures by age groups i found so its wrong for people to say teh old betrayed the young. 

18-24: 36% 25-34: 58% 35-44: 72% 45-54: 75% 55-64: 81% 65+: 83%

Voter apathy in the young. Yet they are the group that will probably be affected the most by our decision to leave. If they had got their arses to the polling station the vote may have been different (I did see a stat saying that nearly 70% of the young who voted, voted to remain, so its not unrealistic to think the result would have changed if the youth turnout had been the same as the older groups)

Perhaps if they could vote via an app on their smartphones it might be different! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Correct. Its the apathetic young who are mainly to blame for the result going the way it did :( 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

That's assuming that they wouldn't vote leave.

How different age groups voted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028

The older the voter, the higher the turnout and the more likely to leave they are.

Based on an exit poll so only a guestimate 

Edited by Xela

Also, if they'd let 16 and 17 year olds vote like in the Scotch referendum.  I know my local sixth form had a mock referendum and it was over 80% in and I reckon their turnout would have been a lot larger as more of them would still be in education and encouraged to vote.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Correct. Its the apathetic young who are to blame :(

I'm sure they had important staying in bed to be getting on with. clearings in the woods. They have the future they deserve.

As well as the proportions of those groups that vote - what are the volumes. I mean are we talking about 40% of 1 million 18-24 year olds and 80% of 3 million 60+ year olds?* it'd be interesting to know which age group had most influence both in terms of how likely they were to vote and how many of them there are.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As well as the proportions of those groups that vote - what are the volumes. I mean are we talking about 40% of 1 million 18-24 year olds and 80% of 3 million 60+ year olds?* it'd be interesting to know which age group had most influence both in terms of how likely they were to vote and how many of them there are.

According to the CIA World Factbook, in 2015 in the UK, they were;

15-24:- 12.41% (7,951,742)

65+: 17.73% (11,365,586)

So considering you'd have to shave off 15-17 year olds too, 65+ is significantly bigger.

Edit: Added numerical totals, dunno what the statistics for registered voters are though.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

So not only are the 65+ group a lot more likely to vote, there are a lot more of them than young voters - possibly double. So maybe 2-3 million voting 18-24 year olds and around 7 million voting pensioners. The huge influence of the baby boom generation.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So not only are the 65+ group a lot more likely to vote, there are a lot more of them than young voters - possibly double. So maybe 2-3 million voting 18-24 year olds and around 7 million voting pensioners. The huge influence of the baby boom generation.

Also by voting out they potentially reduce further the number of people who will wipe their arse and cook them dinner in 10 years time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Chuck the 25-34 into the mix (another poor turnout group) and its probably about level?

This vote has divided the country... its a shame. 

You know its funny, in the build up to the the vote much was made of a few numpties on social media talking about using pens so the vote couldn't be rigged. But now the vote hasn't gone their way, the remain lot want another vote, or want the government to simply ignore it because those that voted out aren't very intelligent.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â