The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

The government are going to allow wine and champagne to be sold in pints though. Yep I can just see the wine producing nations of the world going, yep we need to make pint bottles just for the UK

Yep, that was the first thing that occurred to me. Has wine ever been sold in imperial measures? 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, that was the first thing that occurred to me. Has wine ever been sold in imperial measures? 

Apparently a pint of Champagne was Winston Churchill's favourite measure, which would suggest yes and also give you the rationale behind the decision.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Post Brexit Imperial measurements plan scrapped after 99% that responded to the consultation wanted to stick with metric :D 

The government are going to allow wine and champagne to be sold in pints though. Yep I can just see the wine producing nations of the world going, yep we need to make pint bottles just for the UK :crylaugh:

Pity, Folly’s 30.48 cm does not have the same ring about it 

Just now, Wainy316 said:

So the latest brexit bonus is that bottles of wine are to reduce from 750ml to 568ml?  

nah, won't happen. No-one is changing the size of bottles just to suit the Tory Party. They are allowing it to be sold in quantities of a pint, no one's going to be stupid enough to actually sell it in such measures.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

nah, won't happen. No-one is changing the size of bottles just to suit the Tory Party. They are allowing it to be sold in quantities of a pint, no one's going to be stupid enough to actually sell it in such measures.

I can see Spoons getting on board somehow. Collab with Big Sam.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

So the latest brexit bonus is that bottles of wine are to reduce from 750ml to 568ml?  

Yep. That was my first thought when people thought wine producers wouldn't bother with special bottles for the UK. 

I think they'll jump at it. Perfect opportunity for a bit of shrinkflation to hit us in the pocket as the latest gift off the production line of never ending brexit bonuses. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep. That was my first thought when people thought wine producers wouldn't bother with special bottles for the UK. 

I think they'll jump at it. Perfect opportunity for a bit of shrinkflation to hit us in the pocket as the latest gift off the production line of never ending brexit bonuses. 

You'd think they'd have done this for the USA already, given it's the largest consumer by volume in the world

Guess what, they haven't

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Would they have been blocked from doing it previously? Was it previously illegal to sell a 568ml bottle of wine?

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Would they have been blocked from doing it previously? Was it previously illegal to sell a 568ml bottle of wine?

Yep

Legally allowed wine bottle sizes in the UK (and pretty much standard across the world)

Split (187.5ml)
Half (375ml)
Standard (750ml)
Magnum (1.5L)
Jeroboam (3L)
Methuselah (6L)
Salmanazar (9L)
Balthazar (12L)
Nebuchadnezzar (15L)
Midas (30L)

EDIT: This post is slightly wrong see below

• Shocked 1

Just now, Genie said:

Nope. You can sell in any figure you like. For instance, you’ve always been able to buy 2 pints of milk, as long as written on it somewhere in small print was 1140ml. Some shops always sold 2 pints, some shops sold 1 litre. Lots of mouth breathers just thought milk was cheaper in some shops.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A quick scan of the Tesco website, wine sold in 1000ml, 750, 700, 375, 250, 200, 187…

Tesco be breaking the law then

Weights and measures act specifically only allows wine to be sold in 100, 187, 250, 375, 500, 750, 1000, 1500 ml bottles. But in any measure below 75ml and above 1500ml, so if Tesco is selling 200ml bottles, they are breaking the law

Weights & Measures .gov

Prospero Brut Non Vintage 20Cl
2.2 UK Units per 20cl bottle1.4 UK Units per 125ml glassThe UK Chief Medical Officers recommend adults do not regularly drink more than 14 units per week.wsta.co.uk/health
Wine of Spain
Pack size: 20CL

£2.50

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

£2.50

Sparkling, different rules :D 

The full list from above

Volume by millilitre (ml)
Still wine    100, 187, 250, 375, 500, 750, 1000, 1500
Yellow wine    620
Sparkling wine    125, 200, 375, 750, 1500
Fortified wine    100, 200, 375, 500, 750, 1000, 1500
Spirit drinks    100, 200, 350, 500, 700, 1000, 1500, 1750, 2000
You can sell packaged alcohol in any volume if it’s below the minimum or above the maximum allowed for specified quantities.

But it isn't true to say you can sell it in any measure you want. You can't. It has to be those specific ones

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

You'd think they'd have done this for the USA already, given it's the largest consumer by volume in the world

Guess what, they haven't

That's not a change that's occurred, that's decades of status quo. 

Just now, sidcow said:

That's not a change that's occurred, that's decades of status quo. 

And decades of status quo will remain, the bottle manufacturers, the makers of bottling plants etc are not going to change because... Britain.

Someone tells a Frenchman that the UK can now sell wine by the pint...

giphy.gif

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â