The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Sorry, no I meant I've not changed my mind that it was a terrible, horrible idea.

Ah OK.  Sorry.  I thought you were saying that you were still firmly out.

At this stage literally nothing on earth would surprise me more than someone who was previously remain now thinking brexit was a great idea😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

At this stage literally nothing on earth would surprise me more than someone who was previously remain now thinking brexit was a great idea😀

There are plenty of MPs in both main parties who are taking that very odd position. In most cases you know that it isn't their real position but then you have the likes of Liz Truss who has gone so far full on Brexit throbber you have to believe it

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh god, you thought I was pro-brexit! I've literally never been more embarrassed. I need to burn my monitor. 

And then dispose of it in accordance with WEEE regulat...nah, just kidding, I'll just lob it out of my window onto a passing child, as Farage would have wanted. Phew, thanks Brexit!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

There are plenty of MPs in both main parties who are taking that very odd position. In most cases you know that it isn't their real position but then you have the likes of Liz Truss who has gone so far full on Brexit throbber you have to believe it

I think most I've seen are in the "I was in but now we are out we just need to make the best of it" camp rather than "I was in but now we're out I think it's brilliant" camp.

I do think the mood has started though on the "what has Brexit done for us" question.  They can make up excuses but the problem is running a campaign on snappy slogans with no details needs to deliver snappy results with no detail about why it's not working.  Can't have it both ways.

I think the watershed has been reached where re-join voices will start to be heard soon and they will probably get stronger with time.

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think most I've seen are in the "I was in but now we are out we just need to make the best of it" camp rather than "I was in but now we're out I think it's brilliant" camp.

I do think the mood has started though on the "what has Brexit done for us" question.  They can make up excuses but the problem is running a campaign on snappy slogans with no details needs to deliver snappy results with no detail about why it's not working.  Can't have it both ways.

I think the watershed has been reached where re-join voices will start to be heard soon and they will probably get stronger with time.

This is the current state of the polling

Pollster Fieldwork Dates Question Type In EU Out EU
Omnisis 25-26.5.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 59 41
BMG 30-31.5.23 Join/Stay Out 57 43
Omnisis 1-2.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 61 39
Omnisis 8-9.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 59 41
Omnisis 15-16.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 60 40
Deltapoll 19-22.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 56 44
Poll of Polls - - 59 41

WhatUKThinks.org

It isn't even remotely close any more

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is the current state of the polling

Pollster Fieldwork Dates Question Type In EU Out EU
Poll of Polls - - 59 41
Omnisis 25-26.5.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 59 41
BMG 30-31.5.23 Join/Stay Out 57 43
Omnisis 1-2.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 61 39
Omnisis 8-9.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 59 41
Omnisis 15-16.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 60 40
Deltapoll 19-22.6.23 Rejoin/Stay Out 56 44

WhatUKThinks.org

It isn't even remotely close any more

Hmmm. Election after the next one.  A party stands on re-joining the EU as a policy?  Those figures are only going to slide further towards re-join.  If it gets to 70/30 it would be seen as a real vote winner.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmm. Election after the next one.  A party stands on re-joining the EU as a policy?  Those figures are only going to slide further towards re-join.  If it gets to 70/30 it would be seen as a real vote winner.

I reckon that there are too many unknowns to be able to predict when a party will go into an election proposing that, and I'd surprised if it's as soon as the one after next - but I'm pretty confident that it'll be a massive part of the next Labour leadership race with Burnham, Khan, Streeting and Rayner all trying to out-Europhile each other given how popular it would be with Labour members.

Whether that's happening in the context of Starmer triumphantly standing down in the middle of his third term, or after an embarassing defeat in 2029 - who knows?

But then again, on unknowns - if the EU is an Orban / Meloni / Le Pen-led institution at that point, maybe Labour will be less interested in going back to it? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One for the pub thread really, but the Butler’s Bell in Stafford is ok. Or maybe it’s more accurate to say that it’s a lot less Wetherspoon-y than most. 

There’s another one in Stafford which is much more your typical ‘spoons.

It amazes me someone as stupid and shortsighted as Tim managed to become a multi-millionaire. 

I just can’t see, even theoretically, the scenario he’d be better off outside the EU single market.

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One for the pub thread really, but the Butler’s Bell in Stafford is ok. Or maybe it’s more accurate to say that it’s a lot less Wetherspoon-y than most. 

There’s another one in Stafford which is much more your typical ‘spoons.

Locally they are referred to as Posh Spoons and Chav Spoons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Locally they are referred to as Posh Spoons and Chav Spoons. 

When I first saw the article my immediate thought was wondering if the posh spoons in Stafford was in the firing line. There being two in close proximity and the picture house being a bit more on brand.

While the posh spoons is I suppose nicer, the not so nice one is housed in the more interesting building. Mind you it’s been ten years since I was in that one, no idea what it’s like these days.

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When I first saw the article my immediate thought was wondering if the posh spoons in Stafford was in the firing line. There being two in close proximity and the picture house being a bit more on brand.

While the posh spoons is I suppose nicer, the not so nice one is housed in the more interesting building. Mind you it’s been ten years since I was in that one, no idea what it’s like these days.

It was flooded a few years back and has only recently reopened. It's in good condition and by far the more popular of the 2. Posh spoons used to be the last toilet before home so before I moved it was the last call for me, after I moved chav spoons has filled that gap. I have a friend that loves them both so when we meet up about once a month we start in The Picture House. 

• Like 1

I understand that Wetherspoons pubs are comparatively cheaper... but this is the only reason to go to them, right?  They're soulless places with all the shit beers on tap otherwise.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand that Wetherspoons pubs are comparatively cheaper... but this is the only reason to go to them, right?  They're soulless places with all the shit beers on tap otherwise.

Well they normally have a better than average selection of real ale and some of the venues can be pretty interesting, reusing interesting old buildings. A lot however do have the feel of an airport bar. 

• Like 2

I hate them. My mate is a brexity Tory, so obviously he loves them and I have bigger fights than where we meet up. Their selection of beers are ok in the same way that sports direct stocks a lot of brands, Spoons has a hell of a lot of Slazenger. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Is he still saying Brexit is a good idea? 

Yes. Politically he is **** deluded, he thinks it's a great idea. We avoid politics though as that small part of his character is completely at odds with me. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yes. Politically he is **** deluded, he thinks it's a great idea. We avoid politics though as that small part of his character is completely at odds with me. 

Wow, that’s some hardcore dedication to the cult right there.

Edit: Mods, that’s not me trying to get around the swear filter, I did mean cult. 

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â