The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I really dislike the mortgage agreement I negotiated, put to a vote of my people, and voluntarily signed into law. So now I will shout words like “sovereignty” until the bank gives into my requests.

Shame nobody warned us

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-uk-economy-damaged-b2285218.html

Two-thirds of public think Brexit has hurt UK economy, poll finds

Almost two in three Britons believe Brexit has damaged the UK economy, a new poll for The Independent has found.

Some 61 per cent of voters say quitting the EU has made Britain’s economy worse, according to the Savanta survey – with only 13 per cent saying it has improved the economic situation.

The poll also revealed that most people believe Brexit has added to the UK’s mounting food-supply crisis, which has seen a “crippling” shortage of some goods in the supermarkets during the cost of living crisis.

The survey also found that 47 per cent of the public said Brexit had made their own finances worse, with only 13 per cent saying their bank balance had been boosted by Britain’s exit from the bloc.

“This poll shows that there’s a strong perception that Brexit has not gone particularly well,” said Savanta director Chris Hopkins.

“While that may not equate directly to Brexit regret, we see little evidence in the perceptions of both Remainers and Leavers that Brexit has left the UK in a better state,” he said.

The pollster said that previous surveys showed there was a perception among the public that the Leave campaign had “told more lies” than the Remain campaign both before and after the 2016 referendum.

I’ve said a couple of times, I know a few tradesmen who have more work than they’ve ever had, and have upped their rates accordingly. I imagine in isolation they could be the 13% who have never had it so good. They aren’t lying, but enjoying the cheap foreign competition leaving the country.

This obviously doesn’t account for the fact that whilst they are earning more everything they want to buy costs more.

• Like 3

Does anyone have details of this “deal” Rishi Sunak is supposedly doing with the EU with regards to NI?

Its strange to me because NI still gets many benefits of being in the EU and so I’d assume that weaker trade with the rest of the UK (due to checks etc) was probably a decent price to pay for having EU single market access.

I’m probably wrong to be optimistic that in all of these talks RS is going to pull out an agreement for a UK wide EU deal that gets us single market access back. I’m not sure how else he’s going go change things in Northern Ireland.

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m probably wrong to be optimistic that in all of these talks RS is going to pull out an agreement for a UK wide EU deal that gets us single market access back. I’m not sure how else he’s going go change things in Northern Ireland.

He's not going to change anything massively. There are some tweaks around the edges, all using the existing text of the protocol. There will be a bit about how stuff that is obviously intended to remain in Northern Ireland doesn't need physical checks (but will still need paperwork), and probably a bit about the UK committing to certain rules the make things a bit smoother. But nothing that is going restore power-sharing or keep the throbbier sides happier. 

All the signs suggest that the dance here is the same as May's. Doing all the talking with Brussels, not talking to unionist / ERG interests then springing the deal on them. They then get angry, the Tory party start yelling at each other, people bang on about betrayals and vassalage and we end up at the beginning again. 

It's tricky to see why he's actually doing it, given he's wimped out of doing anything that might upset anyone in his party so far. Personally though, I'm all for it. Reckon he should upset as many people in his party as he possibly can. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

He's not going to change anything massively. There are some tweaks around the edges, all using the existing text of the protocol. There will be a bit about how stuff that is obviously intended to remain in Northern Ireland doesn't need physical checks (but will still need paperwork), and probably a bit about the UK committing to certain rules the make things a bit smoother. But nothing that is going restore power-sharing or keep the throbbier sides happier. 

All the signs suggest that the dance here is the same as May's. Doing all the talking with Brussels, not talking to unionist / ERG interests then springing the deal on them. They then get angry, the Tory party start yelling at each other, people bang on about betrayals and vassalage and we end up at the beginning again. 

It's tricky to see why he's actually doing it, given he's wimped out of doing anything that might upset anyone in his party so far. Personally though, I'm all for it. Reckon he should upset as many people in his party as he possibly can. 

I’m hoping that the “secret” offsite/jolly they had a few weeks ago was to lay the groundwork of what he was going to do. This will in theory stave off the problems May had with her “deal” but time will tell on that.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m hoping that the “secret” offsite/jolly they had a few weeks ago was to lay the groundwork of what he was going to do. This will in theory stave off the problems May had with her “deal” but time will tell on that.

The Chequers trip? No, that was the cabinet to plan what they needed to do to reduce the chances of getting smashed at the next election. 

None of the people who risk blowing him up over this were there.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The Chequers trip? No, that was the cabinet to plan what they needed to do to reduce the chances of getting smashed at the next election. 

None of the people who risk blowing him up over this were there.

No, this was at (the aptly named) Ditchley Park

An extraordinary cross-party summit bringing together leading leavers and remainers – including Michael Gove and senior members of Keir Starmer’s shadow cabinet – has been held in high secrecy to address the failings of Brexit and how to remedy them in the national interest, the Observer can reveal.

The two-day gathering of some of the country’s most senior Labour and Tory politicians from both sides of the Brexitdebate, together with diplomats, defence experts and the heads of some of the biggest businesses and banks, was held at the historic Ditchley Park retreat in Oxfordshire on Thursday afternoon and evening, and on Friday.

Link

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

No, this was at (the aptly named) Ditchley Park

Link

Yeah, still not that crowd. This was the  "what can us sensible types do to make all this stuff go a bit better all round". The nutters weren't invited.

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Yeah, still not that crowd. This was the  "what can us sensible types do to make all this stuff go a bit better all round". The nutters weren't invited.

fresh-prince-room.gif

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Shame nobody warned us

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-uk-economy-damaged-b2285218.html

Two-thirds of public think Brexit has hurt UK economy, poll finds

If public opinion continues on the same path you would think that a pledge to rejoin would be easy win for an opposition party at some point in the future. Though the Tories have nailed their “we got Brexit done” colours so firmly to the mast that I’m not sure how they would, with any sincerity, be able to change their position. 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

If public opinion continues on the same path you would think that a pledge to rejoin would be easy win for an opposition party at some point in the future. Though the Tories have nailed their “we got Brexit done” colours so firmly to the mast that I’m not sure how they would, with any sincerity, be able to change their position. 

It'll need to be gradual. No one is going to come out and advocate for rejoining but joining a customs union with the EU of some description framed in a "we're lowering trade barriers" kind of way will definitely happen. You'll then get the "we're getting laws imposed on us we weren't involved in writing" arguments to which the only answer is what we have right now or go back in.

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

Though the Tories have nailed their “we got Brexit done” colours so firmly to the mast that I’m not sure how they would, with any sincerity, be able to change their position. 

This plays into my posts in the Tory topic today.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â