The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a long old run, be interesting to time it against Fishguard, through to customs, then on to Felixstowe.

The old Swansea - Cork route was 12 hours IIRC. Did that many times.

Assuming the speed of those size ferries hasn't changed much this looks about twice as long as that from that rough map (I realise that's not the exact route).

Long trip

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The old Swansea - Cork route was 12 hours IIRC. Did that many times.

Assuming the speed of those size ferries hasn't changed much this looks about twice as long as that from that rough map (I realise that's not the exact route).

Long trip

If going through the UK is a nightmare, it’ll make a fortune.

If it turns out to be no big problem, it’ll stop running within weeks.

Doubtless the UK govt already have a rescue plan in waiting for Fishguard if the worst happens.

• Like 1

This could be quite the early Christmas present

The UK is in the "last leg of negotiations" with the EU over a post-Brexit trade deal, the foreign secretary has said.

Dominic Raab told the BBC it was likely the talks were entering the "last real major week", and an agreement remained possible if the EU showed "pragmatism".

He added that the talks now depended on resolving a "fairly narrow" set of issues, including fishing rights.

Negotiators are racing to reach a deal, with a looming deadline in four weeks.

Face-to-face discussions resumed in London over the weekend, after chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier left self-isolation following a colleague's positive Covid-19 test last week.

Link

Edited by Genie
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is a smaller shit sandwich really a present?

(Slightly) better than starving to death.

The best ending for 2020 is for 2021 to be like 2015. Expectations well and truly lowered.

Edited by Genie

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

This could be quite the early Christmas present

Link

Both sides playing chicken. I’m thinking no deal at this point, then chaos in January, then caving in in feb and getting the shit sandwich, (now rotting), in March or April and a government collapsing.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's no possible trade deal which will be similar to 2015, surely. 

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. The dream is to get back as close as possible to how things used to be. What a sorry state of affairs. 
Where are all the people telling us how we’re going to thrive out of the EU? They’ve gone awfully quiet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. The dream is to get back as close as possible to how things used to be. What a sorry state of affairs. 
Where are all the people telling us how we’re going to thrive out of the EU? They’ve gone awfully quiet.

They’re all busy stuffing their pockets with money borrowed in our name and hiding the ownership of their new PPE enterprises.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. The dream is to get back as close as possible to how things used to be. 

Give it three election cycles and it probably will be.

If we've not declared war on France over mackerel quotas by then. 

Just now, ml1dch said:

Give it three election cycles and it probably will be.

If we've not declared war on France over mackerel quotas by then. 

The truly funny bit being, we don’t eat the fish that are caught here, we import the fish we eat and export the fish we catch.

Except we probably won’t be able to export them at a competitive price anymore, or at a speed that would make it suitable to sell in Spain.

You’d have to put in an awful lot of effort to make more of a shitshow of this than we have. It’s quite impressive when you stand back and look at it.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Quiet, perhaps, but it's surprising how many still think it's a good idea. I'll be interested to see these numbers in February

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The truly funny bit being, we don’t eat the fish that are caught here, we import the fish we eat and export the fish we catch.

Except we probably won’t be able to export them at a competitive price anymore, or at a speed that would make it suitable to sell in Spain.

Yup. Obvious from the start. Like this from January 2019...

Similar to fish. People don't want mackerel or herring and chips so we export nearly all of it and buy cod in from abroad.

So our gloriously reclaimed fishing waters might be pointless as we put up barriers to the territories into which we'd be selling it.

• Like 1

Not much discussion on this but the EU negotiators have been in London all week again. They were due to go home today but have stayed for another full day of discussions tomorrow.

France have chipped in to say they might veto a deal if they aren’t happy with it.

Probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but it makes me wonder if EU are starting to blink a bit? They are coming to us over and over, then staying extra days. They really want to sort something out it seems.
It’s the same old snags as before though  (state aid, fishing access etc) so it makes me wonder what they are talking about all day every day?

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not much discussion on this but the EU negotiators have been in London all week again. They were due to go home today but have stayed for another full day of discussions tomorrow.

France have chipped in to say they might veto a deal if they aren’t happy with it.

Probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but it makes me wonder if EU are starting to blink a bit? They are coming to us over and over, then staying extra days. They really want to sort something out it seems.
It’s the same old snags as before though  (state aid, fishing access etc) so it makes me wonder what they are talking about all day every day?

Barnier **** loves Pret

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Either that or he was saying, "Cobblers to the lot of you."

I'm shocked the "Return to the '50s Brigade" didn't pick up on the joke and go on a full on bright pink faced twitter ragestorm.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â