The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Who thinks remain will win a referendum?

I do, mostly, but I've got to be honest, and I'm not stupid, the media reporting always makes me feel like the majority of the country wants brexit. It's not what I get when I talk to people, I hardly know any who want it, but the media just puts the fear of God into me about it all. 

I read similar in this thread prior to the referendum. Nearly all the polls said ‘remain’ and this thread had plenty of “I don’t know anyone who is voting leave” comments. We all know what the result was.

Just to offset your ‘I hardly know anyone who wants it’ comment, a strong majority of my family, friends and work colleagues voted leave. The majority of those still want it to be seen through. Despite differences, I would add that they are not all racist idiots.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brommy said:

Despite differences, I would add that they are not all racist idiots.

Maybe not willingly, but if after everything that's happened, you still want to leave, then you're either racist, benefitting it from financially or ignorant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Maybe not willingly, but if after everything that's happened, you still want to leave, then you're either racist, benefitting it from financially or ignorant.

Do you believe I want to leave?

Edited by brommy

14 minutes ago, brommy said:

I read similar in this thread prior to the referendum. Nearly all the polls said ‘remain’ and this thread had plenty of “I don’t know anyone who is voting leave” comments. We all know what the result was.

Just to offset your ‘I hardly know anyone who wants it’ comment, a strong majority of my family, friends and work colleagues voted leave. The majority of those still want it to be seen through. Despite differences, I would add that they are not all racist idiots.

I know a lot who voted leave, they now want to remain. In the political group I'm in for where I live, there was a discussion about this recently and a lot of those who were determined to leave have changed their mind. I live in a very pro-Brexit place and yet the mood seems have changed. 

Saying that, people come here to retire and most will still vote to leave, I think.

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

Speaking on someone else’s behalf, I think it was common use of ‘you’, instead of ‘someone’.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I know a lot who voted leave, they now want to remain. In the political group I'm in for where I live, there was a discussion about this recently and a lot of those who were determined to leave have changed their mind. I live in a very pro-Brexit place and yet the mood seems have changed. 

Saying that, people come here to retire and most will still vote to leave, I think.

A lot of people that I know that voted to leave will either not vote a second time or vote remain. Believe it or not there’s many people that regret trusting our government and won’t make the same mistake again. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of people that I know that voted to leave will either not vote a second time or vote remain. Believe it or not there’s many people that regret trusting our government and won’t make the same mistake again. 

It's so hard to judge though. But when it comes to the media, you'd think the whole country wanted it. I'm not sure that is the case, I think the media are now a voice for the government rather than a voice for the people.

16 minutes ago, brommy said:

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Speaking on someone else’s behalf, I think it was common use of ‘you’, instead of ‘someone’.

Indeed. In English we don't really have a pronoun for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I wanted to be sure. I hope Stefan meant ‘if one wanted to leave’. Having said that, I expect the majority of the leavers I know would deny his proposition/accusation.

Much as I’ve had to stomach an MP and government I’ve never voted for, when it comes to brexit I have settled on agreeing to disagree with many of the people I know. If I were to band around accusations of racism and/or ignorance, I would face strong denial, lose some of my friends and work would be awkward. The feeling is strong on both sides which makes me think it’s not going away.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brommy said:

I wanted to be sure. I hope Stefan meant ‘if one wanted to leave’. Having said that, I expect the majority of the leavers I know would deny his proposition/accusation.

Much as I’ve had to stomach an MP and government I’ve never voted for, when it comes to brexit I have settled on agreeing to disagree with many of the people I know. If I were to band around accusations of racism and/or ignorance, I would face strong denial, lose some of my friends and work would be awkward. The feeling is strong on both sides which makes me think it’s not going away.

Where are the benefits at this point? I was very careful with my language (you/one mixup aside)

If a regular person still wants to leave, they are one of the 3 things I mentioned above.

It is objectively a horrendous decision at this point. Sticking one's ( ;) ) fingers in their ears and yelling 'la la la' doesn't change that.

Feels v reals, unless you stand to benefit from it personally or you're so ideological opposed to the EU

Edited by StefanAVFC

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

Don’t get me wrong, I was giving Stefan the benefit of the doubt. Personally I’m convinced you’re a raving gammon nazi.

• Haha 2

If you want to know why the ERG have signed up to Johnson's agreement with the EU then listen to Bridgen tonight on Newsnight.

Whoever is in contol of the next Parliament controls what the PD means. Any MP who votes for the WA without understanding that doesn't understand what they are doing.

Edit: It is the height of the shyster. Johnson is a disgrace - he wants to be applauded for 'getting a deal' and to be able to distance himself from the shit that is to come afterwards.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Where are the benefits at this point? I was very careful with my language (you/one mixup aside)

If a regular person still wants to leave, they are one of the 3 things I mentioned above.

It is objectively a horrendous decision at this point. Sticking one's ( ;) ) fingers in their ears and yelling 'la la la' doesn't change that.

Cutting through the flannel, I would say the main concern of those leavers I know is population increase. They don’t care about skin colour and aren’t all white anyway. They see leaving the EU as being able to slow down the increase. They acknowledge that the majority of immigrants pay tax and therefore contribute to the economy but doubt whether their average contribution is enough to cover the additional resources required - childcare, school education, healthcare, welfare support, transport infrastructure etc. Most of the people I know earn well and pay thousands (some tens of thousands) in taxes. I believe they resent the additional numbers that perhaps pay hundreds, which they see as a net deduction.

Of your 3 accusations, perhaps it’s closest to “ignorance’. Something they would deny and throw right back.

Aaaand Newsnight does a vox pop of pensioners in Scunthorpe indoor market.

One of them’s going to vote LibDem if there’s a referendum, love him.

**** the **** lot of them at the BBC that have done that to Newsnight.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â